Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Right Angle Head Threadmilling?

crazy^millman

I am Thread milling a part at a 14 dgree angle in relation to 90 degrees from the table using a full adjustable right angle head. I have in the past just use my post with a povit distance and done it without any povit distance to get 2 axis locations and then used it with povit distance the amount of adjustment I need to get to get the other axis. The probelm is that I have about a 500 line program to threadmill and do not want to have to do all this by hand possbile to make a mistake becuase we all know how bad my typing is. I have looked at several posts on the CD and used MP5XGEN_FANUC and used the misc and it did not produce the results I was looking for. I don't have time to sit down and try to figure out all the math and varaibles I would need to make this work in MPMASTER.

Any body have an idea what would work the bestas far as a post on the CD or am I looking ta custom land here? As always any helps is greatly appericated and welcome.

wink.gif Now I understand why you have your handle...

The results of attempting helical interpolation using an angle head at the angle that you describe would be iffy at best, even for milling. But for threading, I don't think that the results will be good, even with the best machine, tooling and post. The program will be a LONG series of linear moves, which will not be a true helix, causing binding in your threadform. Unless you have an unusual amount of tolerance to play with. Also, there is no way to control PD on the thread, so new program every time PD needs adjusted.

Question: Rotating part is not possible?

Ron,

I may be way off base here because this stuff is WAY over my head. frown.gif Our controls have a 3-D rotation built into the control. We bolt on the universal milling attachment (dual pivot right angle head) and sweep it in to the proper angle, enter the proper 3-d rotation in the control, and just program it as though it is a straight z helical thread milling cycle. Real simple. Just throwing out another possibility of having the control do it instead of mcam. confused.gif

sorry for the temp highjack Ron,

quote:

3-D rotation built into the control

gotta be a heid wink.gif

3d rotation with a working plane. we use it all the time.

somthing like this

; WORKING ON NORTH END OR RIGHT SIDE

CYCL DEF 7.0 DATUM SHIFT

CYCL DEF 7.1 X143

CYCL DEF 7.2 Y0

CYCL DEF 7.3 Z-25.5

CYCL DEF 302 HEAD ORIENTATION ~

Q352=270 ;ANGLE A ~

Q353=+0 ;ANGLE B ~

Q354=0 ;WEIGHT

CYCL DEF 19.0 WORKING PLANE

CYCL DEF 19.1 B+180 C+270

Wes,

There is that cycle and also one under the manual & the handwheel screens. We use the latter (sp) of the two. That way you can make either the program or the manual operation either active or inactive or both. Real nice for indicating in jobs that aren't parallel to any of the 3 axis also. biggrin.gif (sorry Ron, highjack done)

Greg

Well the machine is a Fadal so not sure if it has plan rotation. I am olny doing part of the thread and doing it about .005 samll then I am chsing it with a tap. I need the thread to insure I get a godo start for the tap at the right angle center line and all the other Jazz that goes with it.

Well to be honest about doing this I didn't quote this job and would have never taken this job but such is life. I am called Crazy all the time for the parts I attempt and make and also for the way I push a machine. I just have an extreme amount of confidence in my ability and not affraid to make a mistake here and there. You never know what is around the corner if you dont take look and see what is there.

I will call Trevor and see what he thinks. Thanks Jay, and the others for your responses.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Hey Tool Fab, I use Scientific Cutting Tool's thread mills. I pay $177 ea. for a 13 TPI with a 1/2 shank - Solid CArbide, 1" LOC. You have a better price I'd rather buy them from you.

Ron,

I run into this situation when people put right angled aggregates on 5ax knuckle head machines.(Why oh why?)

Send me a little more info and I'll take a look.

The trick to the knuckled heads is the right triangle formed by the pivot point of head, intersect of agg pivot/tool cnter line and tool tip. It is not has bad as it sounds.(Until they put a rotary ax on the table also.)