Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Up Against a Wall

Holomon

I am having a little difficulty with parallel surfacing inside of a cavity. When the tool feeds up against a wall it usually stops about .002" short of the wall. I am not using a containment boundary. Usually I can work around this problem but would really like to find out what I am doing wrong or if anyone else has encountered this.

[ 03-25-2004, 03:18 PM: Message edited by: holomon ]

Took a quick look at her....could be something with containment boundry. If you set it to outside, too will totally climb the wall. I was just playing with entering negative values then to get it to kiss the wall, but not climb it.

-or maybe make boundry bigger and add check surfaces as top of boss? Just a thought.

Oh, my cycles over..gotta go.

Thanks to everyone for the sugestions. There are many ways to work around the problem but I would like to know if I'm missing something. Does anyone else have any problems getting toolpath to go all the way up against a wall with parallel surfacing?..Thanks again..

I'm thinking "outside the box" (pun) a bit on this one....how do you determine that the cut stops .002 away from that wall? Could the wall be .002 "overcut" instead, and thus offset from your surface?

Tool undersize? Machine offset correct? Grasping at straws here!

Maybe backplot and save the toolpath as geometry, and check the resultant toolpath centerline distance from the wall....? Just some ideas.

Is it just because of your stepover direction? The total distance to be cut isn't divisible by your stepover. So it gets "as close at it can." What do you get if you cut 90 degrees to your current toolpath?

Just a thought.

Thad

I did a backplot and saved as toolpath to determine the .0023 distance..When the cut direction is rotated 90 degrees the toolpath WILL go all the way to the wall but this approach will force the tool to plunge into a heavy cut(corner) rather than working into the cut..My cut and filter tolerance is set to .0002..I will just add a flowline path to finish the feature..Thanks to all for taking the time to respond..This forum is a very valuable tool!

quote:

When the cut direction is rotated 90 degrees the toolpath WILL go all the way to the wall but this approach will force the tool to plunge into a heavy cut(corner) rather than working into the cut.

Even if you select a start point?

Thad