Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Please help me save my highschool technology courses!

MustangGT92

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Just use the above letters as a template and add your own flavor. Chris went to school on me and went yard. Nice letter.

I am on the Advisory Board of the Community college I attended (but did not earn a degree or certificate). The bean counters and the academics want to downsize it AGAIN. It's a shame. At least the Mfg. Technology Dept. is not laying down. They are bringing in professionals from industry, shop owners, etc... finding out what is really needed out there and building the program and adjusting the program accordingly. This is the offereings as it stands today.

Mt. SAC Mfg. Technology Dept.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good god you guys are amazing.

yes, it is rochester NY, zip 14626, its in the USA. Those board members are right(I know most of their sons/daughters).

Sorry for my late reply, ive been working a lot lately(unrelated to this unfortunately), and havent gotten a chance to check up on things. Every story here i'm going to print off and give to them.

Im going to show my teacher what i've been doing, hopefully he'll appreciate it.

I've contacted a local TV station, and I'm waiting for an email/call/letter back.

Thanks a lot, you guys are an AMAZING HELP!!!!

I sent the following email to all the board members listed above in James' reply. I received bounce backs from John Sodeman and Fred Koeng because of delinquent mail accounts.

quote:

Dear Board Member,

My name is Thad Seaver and I work for a Tool and Die shop in the Detroit area. I am writing on behalf of one of your technology students, Paul Vanek.

It is my understanding that the technology department is being considered for downsizing. As a machinist/CAM programmer, I would hate to see this happen. One can earn a fine living for themselves and their family from the training they receive from a scholastic program. I was fortunate enough to attend the Bay Arenac Skill Center (Bay City, MI) in 1987-88. It was a 2-year high school program that offered training on machine tools such as lathes, horizontal and vertical milling machines, radial arm and standard drill presses, surface grinders, ID/OD grinders, tool grinders, saws, CNC mills, and a full range of inspection equipment. The class also included book instruction, training on the proper care and use of hand tools, mathematical formulas used for calculating speeds and feeds, right angle trig, drill sharpening techniques, and basic drafting and blueprint reading. They certainly did not go light on the equipment. When the 2-year program was done, I received a certificate of training. Because of this training, I received 3 handsome bonuses when enlisting in the U.S. Army. I received an instant promotion to E-2, my 6 month Army machinist training requirement was waived, and I also got to select my first duty assignment. All of these perks were given to me based on the fact that I attended the 2-year machining program in high school. (I just wanted to point out that there are other benefits that may arise from a good training program.) Along with those perks, this is where I got my machining foundation. I have built on it since then and have become what I am today because of it.

As an educator, you must do your part to keep manufacturing thriving in the United States. It is essential that we bring young adults into the manufacturing field to fill the openings created by our aging veterans leaving the workforce. America was built on manufacturing and machinists have played an enormous part. I challenge you to look around and see all the things that a machinist has played some part in the making of it. For example, the dies that made the sheet metal stampings of your office furniture, the microwave oven that you will warm your lunch in, or the parts of the saw that cut the wood for your bookshelves. The equipment that made the pens and pencils that you write with were made by machinist's hands. Your garage door at home and your car that you drove to work are made of metal stampings. The signs and stop lights that you passed coming to work, the pump at the gas station (and the coffee maker inside), the refrigerator that keeps your food and drinks cold, the printing press equipment that print your textbooks...all are produced from the work of machinists.

If we allow the training programs in our schools to decay, so will the manufacturing industry. Please take into consideration the full impact of downsizing your technology department.

Sincerely,

Thad Seaver

Paul, good luck in your fight. I hope we're able to help you make a difference. wink.gif We want to know how it works out either way.

Thad

quote:

Good god you guys are amazing.

Amen to that !!!! James, Chris, and Thad - you wrote great letters !!!! cheers.gif To everybody who passed these letters on - cheers.gif

Let's all try to get this same info to as many high schools as possible.

This has turned into one of the best threads ever!!

cheers.gif

MustangGT92,

I graduated from RIT 10 years ago. At the time, their was a small sattalite campus in downtown Rochester (on Main St.), where they had all the vocational classes....including a massive shop. A few years after I left, I learned the school had auctioned the whole place off...building and all. 15+ bridgeports, 10+ horizontals, 20 + lathes, 12+ surface grinders, edm's, etc. etc. Probably made about $70,000 and some change.

Now RIT is building 20+ million dollar high- profile "business centers" on the main campus. Funded by that chump Tom Gallisano (spelling). Sounds like it's rather political and glamor fueled..... curse.gif

I'll be happy to bounce some letters to the previously mentioned characters. I think that R news might be the best bet, also the Democrat and Chronical newspaper..

In the meantime, you should go down to the RIT main campus (in Henrietta), and check out the Manufacturing Engineering school. Just head right on into the machine shop, the fellows running the place are incredibly helpful and friendly....after all, they have to deal with college students all day. This time of the year, the shop is a buzz work on the Formula SAE car, which from your screen name, it sounds like you might be interested in!... Collegiate Formula Car biggrin.gif

P.S. I left Rochester in 2000, and now live in Oregon...but still have friends and family there.

This thing is double-ended .

The truth is that nowadays not many youngsters want to be machinist/cnc programmer/mold designer/mold maker .

Our shop bought a good stuff from overall sale of nearby local school shop,mostly grinders ,great tools and more .

It is a real shame and very dangerous that older generations have nobody to pass a knowledge .

And most cnc and mashining related workers in Israel are immigrants from Russia.

Natives don`t want to work dirty hands .

This is my humble opinion from Israel ,but I do not think that in USA and Canada different situation .

Iskander teh all my adult life dirty hands .

I'm glad I wasn't the only one to get some bounce-back on my emails. I even forwarded my letter to James to send in case it was MY email server that was screwed up.

I'm going to be out of the office for a couple days but I might be able to check in here; please post any responses you get from the school so I can stay in the loop.

C

Just a thought about emails and bounce-backs.

Perhaps a hand written letter might be appropriate.

From my experience wading through resumes and applications tells me that a hand written letter carries with it, a different reaction before the toss by the glancer or reader - which is to say that it gets noticed.

cheers.gif

Regards, Jack

Great topic and Great effort Mustang!!

I would assume the powers that be have no idea what role manufacturing plays in the future of this great country.

I love when local people take a tour through our plant. They think we're a mom and pop shop operating out of a big garage. Little do they know that we have 200+ employees, 3 CNC machines, 4 operators, a programmer (that's me) and about a dozen people involved in CAD/Design software. And that's just a locally owned cabinet shop. Most people don't look at everyday products and see the machining and engineering which develope them.

I will support the cause and send a letter on company letter head along with some business cards.

I'm 33 years old and have 2 kids in preschool years. This topic will prompt me to send a letter along with some of these post to our local tech school (where I recieved a degree). NWTC has done a great job at keeping up with technology (they teach MC!!) and maybe a pat on the back will stop this type of downsizing from ever getting started.

Nice job Mustang. And great letters from Chris, James and others.

ScottyB. inspired on a Monday morning!

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Great effort Mustang. I wish more youger generation folks were taking an active role in shaping their future. If you ever decide to move to Southern California, there plenty of places that look for sharp, young, talented, and energetic individuals such as yourself. Look me up. I may know of a nice place or two for you to crash land. biggrin.gif

I'm sending mine out in the mail today to the District Headquarters. I'll also send an e-mail to Ms. Deb Leh.

Thanks for giving us the heads up Mustang.

cheers.gif

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Has anyone recieved a reply yet? If you do, please post it up on here so we can all see if it worked or Mustang let us know if you hear anything OK?

Thanks all.

I was soooo inspired by all the great letters on behalf of an earnest student, so here's mine. I wrote to the principal and the board:

Mrs. Wahl, Principal

Greece Athena High School

800 Long Pond Road

Rochester NY, 14612-3097

Dear Mrs. Wahl,

A very enthusiastic student in your technology program, Paul Vanek, has taken the initiative to write to our CAD/CAM technology forum asking for our help to curtail the ‘downsizing’ of the school’s technology program. Understanding the constraints of your busy schedule please allow me to take a moment voice my concerns to you and your board.

As an educator at Farmingdale State University of New York and professional who has worked for over 25 years in the manufacturing sector, I feel it is incumbent upon us to reverse the tide of outsourcing of our manufacturing jobs overseas. This alarming trend has been a blue collar phenomenon up until the present where it is now spreading to white collar professionals as well. As I am sure you are well aware, protectionist trade restrictions and increasing tariffs in a global economy will never do. It is up to us as educators to prepare our students for the future stability of our country and economy keeping in mind the pioneering legacy of invention and innovation that we all share as Americans in this society, the greatest open market of ideas and goods in the world.

As a case in point one only has to look at the molding industry which has all but evaporated in our country. Portugal, China and Mexico have been taking the lead in driving these businesses and manufacturing opportunities from our shores and in only a decade, they have succeeded beyond theirs and our wildest dreams. They have cornered the market through industriousness and a lower standard of living while we were asleep as the wheel. As a former mold maker myself I can attest to the missed opportunities of scarce and inadequate training or apprenticeship programs while these countries seized the opportunity to train their youth in intensive apprenticeship programs and comprehensive CAD/CAM training that would startle us.

This phenomena is now snowballing through the rest of the manufacturing and technology sector and before we know it, we may wake up one morning to the Future Shock of dependence on a lot more than foreign fossil fuels. I feel it is time to wake up from our complacency as the global economic front runner and start to take back our manufacturing economy with more intensive and innovative ‘hands-on’ training programs for our youth. That is exactly what we are doing here at Farmingdale State and we urge you to consider doing the same.

Thank you for your time and consideration in reading my letter. If I can be of any further assistance, please don’t hesitate to contact me. Thanks again and all the best to you.

Thanks James. If she replies to me I will put her in touch with the director of our research facility for a possible day trip to our facilities. We are doing leading edge R&D with Hydrogen Fuel cell development, robotics, PLC's, rapid prototyping etc. It's fascinating and many schools come down here for a tour and the students are all very impressed.

Phil