Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Surface Machining of Pockets

kathy

CycleTimeCharles,

Well, I bit the bullet and made multiple copies of the surfaces and trimed them to my boundries. Than using flowline, everything which looks great! I just wanted to use toolpath that I could contain within boundries for each of my setup's on the table!!!!! Lots more flexability, and a lot less work!

Was anyone able to duplicate my 'phenomon' of the ball enmill on the center fillet radii (setup a)??

Thanks, Kathy

and yes, ruffcut, I am a lady!

Kathy,

You can also get around making duplicates of the surfaces you are trimming by checking the keep original surface, rather than deleting it. You will have to trim the surface more than once, but you can get around having copy it. It sure would be nice if you could spit a surface to a curve.

Hope this helps.

Jody

Dave,

I Guess I'm nor set up right for trim (toolpath) - I get an error message "...not found in your operations defult file"

I copied the surfaces I want to machine, than trim them to overlapping boundries.

Kathy

Ok i am trying to see a problem here with the file except for the long fillet the suface had the wrong normal for a simple flowline .

One flip and that makes for a fast and simple path.

now i think someone already talked about triming a program to a boundry right.

you create the surface program and then create a boundry and trim the program to the boundry and that takes care of the tool motion that you wanted.

just throwing my .02cents in like the rest.

------------------

jay/ aka cadcam

Precision Programming

cnc programming &

Predator reseller

email: [email protected]

web: www.ppcadcam.com

now after looking at this thru Predator.

I thing what you want to do. that was causeing a problem was in the "X" because you did not want to cut all the way to the end of the part because this probly were you are holding it. then you wanted to be able to go back and finsh the end fillets.

so i would of just split the surface were you want to have two.

please inform me if i am wrong.

( p,s please excuse me i think i am having a moment here, i don,t mean any disrespect.)

------------------

jay/ aka cadcam

Precision Programming

cnc programming &

Predator reseller

[This message has been edited by cadcam (edited 05-23-2001).]

Hello Everyone!

Michael walked me through how to set up trim for flowline surfaces. That is the best solution for these parts.

I need to explore some of the 'older' surface toolpaths lie project and wireframe. Can anyone recomend a good reference book, tutorial of training class for advanced 3D surfaces??

I still ran into my bug with mcam confusing tool 7 with tool 6 on op 8, the bug showing up when I went to post. I opened up tool 6, highlighted the tool # field, and all is well. Chalk one more up to my Mastercam Bug Tee-Shirt!

I appreciate all of your help and suggestions, and if I can help any of just, just let me know!!

Jay - my Predator demo package still hasn't araived yet... Did you see somthing in the surface machining I shoul be concerned with??

Kathy

ps: The water was clear, the wind was breezy, and it was almost a straight reach up the river!! Can't ask for more..

I have used the Scholars Mastercan book in the past with favorable results. I have the V6, 7, and 8 book. Thats put out by John Lin and Tony Shiue. It does a pretty good job with regard to wire frame tool paths and projecting yaddy yaddy yaddy... the ISBN # is 1-886552-15-0 or go too www.scholarsbook.com

woops! I just went to the site and didnt see the Version 8 book there. But call your dealer thats how I got mine.

[This message has been edited by CADCAMGuru (edited 05-23-2001).]

Kathy.

I have only just browsed your problem, but not too many of your replies. Am I right in assuming that you require a program to surface contour out a pocket and mastercam keeps wanting to machine the outside aswell.

This might sound a bit obvious but there is a check box in the 'finish contour parameters' go into 'edge settings' if you tick the box for 'between surfaces' I think this will give you what you want, good luck anyway.

[This message has been edited by Alan Simpson (edited 05-25-2001).]

brent i thing we took care of this one try the flowline one from here. you can download this file.

as for this one i can put it on my FTP for you if you feel like playing.

glad you came in, stick around for a while.

------------------

jay/ aka cadcam

Precision Programming

cnc programming &

Predator reseller

[This message has been edited by cadcam (edited 05-25-2001).]

Sorry about that one...

I was hoping people would read the essay(Too large to post)and see it takes special equipment that none of us have or could get access or training on. not to mention the amount of man hours ..Oh well bad idea

No more "Spray"

[This message has been edited by Tony (edited 05-25-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Tony (edited 05-26-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Tony (edited 05-26-2001).]

Beav700

To trim a surface toolpath to a boundry:

I just create a rectangle around my part, placing the edges at the position I want to contain the toolpath. In this particular part, the location of the lines on the x-axis is important, however the y-axis lines can be, and are off the part. The containment boundry can be any shape you need as long as it is a chain.

Than in most of the surface toolpaths, there is an option to check "Prompt for tool center boundry". That allows you to pick the chain as your boundry under the geometry tab.

To contain a flowline surfave, create both your chain boundry and the flowline surface. Go to the toolpath options and select trim. First select the chained boundry, and that a point on the surface that you want contained. A dialog box opens up to allow you to tie in the trim op with the flowline op. Voila!

Hope this helps, Kathy

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Tony,

Now why would you want to go and do something like that for? (Offer to tell how to defeat hardware protection devices?). Man that's way not cool, especially in here. if you want to spray that stuff around, do it somewhere else please.

Do you even have a clue as to how many millions of man-hours went into Mastercam's development over the years???? I'm guessing not because you seem so non-chalant about spreading how to defeat that protection device. It's shameful that you could show such careless disregard for someone elses intellectual property like that.

James M. mad.gif

A thief is a thief.

Doesn't matter if he's using a gun or a computer, he's still a thief.

As a private indiviual who has worked very hard to own a copy of Mastercam I take software piracy very seriously. They are

stealing my livelyhood and making it less

profitable for Mastercam to produce new products.

Software pirates should steer clear of me, because I will turn you in.

[This message has been edited by gcode (edited 05-26-2001).]