Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Where is Rick?

Brendan P

Once in a while when my pea brain starts to do a little thinking,something goes off in my head and I notice that a member has not been around.

Then I go to their "profile" and view their recent posts.

I had noticed that Rick Damiani has not been around in 2 months. eek.gif

Just wondering if anyone knew where he went.

I always believed that Rick brought a lot to the table here,and hate to see any members dissappear. wink.gif

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm right here. I fell off of my motorcycle on 2/20 and broke a lot of bones (mostly ribs). For the next couple of months my biggest concern was to remember to breath slowly and shallowly....

After I got back to work full-time in late April, I was busy with the two classes I was teaching, physical therapy, and catching up on all the stuff I missed while waiting for my ribs to heal. Then cames all the end-of-year stuff for the schools I work with + finals. Now that things are a little slow(er) I'll have time to drop in once in a while. Well, at least until my next surgury (in September) and the start of the fall semester (in August).

Rick, what are you doin?!?!?! curse.gif You weren't out trying to clean the street with your jacket, were you? biggrin.gif Thank God your doing OK.

Now...let's see the pictures! biggrin.gif j/k Welcome back and be careful out there.

Thad

Yeah rick and Colloped Lugs suck also been there done that. Been 13 years and still have to catch my breathe from time to time. Oh yeah the ribs will let you know when the weather is changing also. Glad you are getting through it and wish you a full recovery or to a better state than you are now. Prayers for good healing headed your way Rick.

Ron

Nah, didn't fall asleep.

Here's what happened:

It had been raining off and on all day that Friday. I was in Corona seeing a client when the rain started coming down *really* hard just as I finished. I had a class to teach at San Bernidino Valley, not too far away, so I headed for there.

The rain started to let up as I got off of I-15 and onto I-10, so I kicked it up a bit as I wanted to get in a bit early to get some copies made.

About a mile from my exit, I slowed to ~50 or so and started moving towards the right lane. ~1/2 mile later I was in the right lane behind a hunk-o-junk RV, looking for the off-ramp.

Right about then I felt the bike get loose and fall towrds the left. I tried to save it, but realized that it wasn't gonna happen, so I let go of the bars and mentally braced myself for the fall. I hit on my left side and slid from the #4 lane into the #3 lane where I was hit by a car on the left side of my helmet and left shoulder.

After tumbleing for a bit, I came to a stop on my back in the middle of the #3 lane. I felt like the wind had been knocked out of me, so I laid there trying to catch my breath. By the time I got myself together and tried to get up, there were people around me telling me to lay down. Moving my arm hurt so much that I figured that was a good idea.

After that came the firefighters, the ambulance, the hospital, cat scan, x-rays, surgury, convelesence, and physical therapy. More surgury in September (remove the last of the pins) and then I'm done. Hpefully I'll make a full recovery from this.

Right now my arm is good enough to load tools into the machine, and just a couple of weeks ago I took a lathe apart all by myself. OK, so it was a small lathe, and I only R&R'd the X and Z axises (axi?). Still pretty good.

Rick,

glad to here you are on the mend, it may sound a little crazy but yoga goes along way to help healing and teaching you how to breath right. especially after fracturing ribs. the stretching exercises are great. i know how that feels as i busted mine climbing trees. Tarzan i ain't. i only busted a few of the lower ones but breathing was sooo painful.

Hi Rick. By the sound of it it seems you came out all right. Geez, could have been killed. Must have been in alot of pain, but alive and no head injury, etc. The worst is behind you and better days ahead. Glad your OK considering everything. Good luck ahead and God bless! cheers.gif

My ribs are all healed up now, and the shoulder is too. Doc is waiting until September to remove the last of the hardware because he wants to be certan that the healing is all done and the bone is at full strength before he pulls stuff out.

As for the 'coulda been killed' bit - the folks in the ER were pretty surprised that I hadn't broken my back or my neck. Apparently that's what usually happens when you get hit hard enough to break a shoulderblade. I'm pretty happy to be walking around, all things considered.

Yeah Rick my shoulderblade still gives me fits and I was told I can not lift weights again and could not do anything that puts to much on my should that once broken they rebreak very easy. Between that and my metal parts in my jaw can pretty tell you when it is going to rain. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif Cool thing out here does not rain much but in Florida it can rain just about everyday in the summer and yeah felt it everytime.