Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Importing a step tool

So not a Guru

34 minutes ago, So not a Guru said:

I can't seem to get this right, I can import DXF files using the instructions in the help file. But using those same instuctions, I have never been able to import a step file correctly.

This is the file I'm trying to bring in right now, is it oriented incorrectly, or am I doing something else completely wrong?

MS33649-3RA.stp

i believe it has to do with the output software, solidworks and mastercam have different wcs

you should be able to set it in the other software

• Huh? 1
Just now, #Rekd™ said:

I would just create a curve slice from the STEP file and use that geometry.

Yes, that is what I usually end up doing too.

Still, I would love to eliminate the extra steps required for that & just import the step file. I'm sure it can be done, because I've read others who've mentioned doing it.

I see some Nethook options to create a tool from a profile, I don't see the .stp as an option except for lathe

We could use Mastercams Silhouette Boundary to create the profile of course, that would need chook

The help file doesn't mention the process as being specific to Lathe tools, but I suppose that could be the issue.

Guidelines for Importing DXF or STEP Tool/Holder Profiles

Follow these guidelines when importing a DXF or STEP file into Mastercam to create a tool or holder profile.

Guidelines for importing DXF files

Guidelines for importing STEP files

• The STEP file may consist of one or more solids.
  • The model must be oriented with the axis of the tool or holder along the world coordinate Z-Axis in Mastercam.
  • There is no cutting/non-cutting delineation necessary (as for DXF files).
  • The tool tip does not need to be at the origin.
52 minutes ago, crazy^millman said:

Came in just fine for me from your step file. Not sure what your doing wrong. I create a custom tool and used your solid and got a custom tool and then did a Bore toolpath like i would any port tool. I then Verified it and look correct to me.

Link

Well that's pretty weird!

I wonder if this has something to do with MC in Windows 7. I assume you are using Windows 10, correct?

56 minutes ago, crazy^millman said:

I create a custom tool and used your solid

That's exactly what I attempt,but it doesn't work on my box.

I took a look and the tool is oriented properly.

I'm wondering if this is a Mastercam version issue. In some recent release the Tool Team forced "healing" to happen when importing the STEP tool so there may be cases where it'll come in on one users computer and not another.

I did get a better result after opening the STEP file into 2022 Beta - telling it to stich the faces into a body in the Import 'Options' page. Then I saved that as a new STEP file. 

Edited by Pete Rimkus from CNC Software Inc.
3 minutes ago, Pete Rimkus from CNC Software Inc. said:

I took a look and the tool is oriented properly.

I'm wondering if this is a Mastercam version issue. In some recent release the Tool Team forced "healing" to happen when importing the STEP tool so there may be cases where it'll come in on one users computer and not another.

I'm running 2021 with service pack 3

I've got one thing for you to try ... Before attempting to import the STEP file as a tool, go to Configuration/Converters and turn on "Use solid stitching to import Solids" under "Solids". That worked for me. I wasn't sure whether those options came in to play when importing a STEP file as a Tool, but they seem to.

SCREENSHOTT.png

Just now, Pete Rimkus from CNC Software Inc. said:

I've got one thing for you to try ... Before attempting to import the STEP file as a tool, go to Configuration/Converters and turn on "Use solid stitching to import Solids" under "Solids". That worked for me. I wasn't sure whether those options came in to play when importing a STEP file as a Tool, but they seem to.

Sometimes I have to do solid to surface -> surface to solid

like in this topic for the holders -> https://www.emastercam.com/forums/topic/102646-holder-stp-import/

I can't get your file to dwnlds Zeke..

23 minutes ago, Pete Rimkus from CNC Software Inc. said:

It worked after that!

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Pete Rimkus from CNC Software Inc. said:

Do you mean "Use surface stitching to Import Solids"? If so, I already have that selected.

14 minutes ago, So not a Guru said:
15 hours ago, Pete Rimkus from CNC Software Inc. said:

Do you mean "Use surface stitching to Import Solids"? If so, I already have that selected.

This could be a tolerance issue?