Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

YouTube Live - 5-Axis Programming Intro - SAT_27FEB21_14:00EST

Colin Gilchrist

12 hours ago, CNC_Newbie said:

Last question, is it possible to ever create an post from mastercam that does not need to be edited by hand? I was told,”You will always have to edit the post manually, there is no way around it”.  IMHO, that has to be wrong. I just think he needs to learn mastercam better.

That is simply not true.

I do 5axis impellers on an Okuma MU-1000 5X horizontal mill

These parts are up to Ø60" and the stock can weigh up 4000 pounds.

It is not humanly possible to edit these files.

Some of them get up to 40-50mg in file size.

The operators might change a tool number but that's all the editing they can do.

The post I use is from Postabilty, written by Dave Thomson.

Edit free code is always possible, but like all things worthwhile it takes a lot of work to get there

• Like 4

I'm with gcode. Edit free code isn't just possible, it should be though of as normal. Hand editing code should be thought of as abnormal.

I loathe hand editing code. Any programmer worth his/her salt should as well. The way I look at it; if I have to hand edit code more than a tool number because there's been a reassignment in the tool matrix I was unaware of, I failed somewhere, somehow... and that is unacceptable IMHO.

:coffee:

• Like 2
17 hours ago, CNC_Newbie said:

Hey Colin, I have a question/idea for a follow up video to the 5 axis trimming video you did. I think it would be helpful to discuss how ones goes out, “Linking Operations”.  It would be amazing to select all the edges of a part and make the tool move as you wish at each different feature.  For example, with axis control doe a specific cut, let’s say you use lines for a long straight cut, but if you have a curve or a surface that interrupts the straight line and you want to control the axis with a point. You have to create a separate operation. How do you link the 2 operations?  Let’s say you want to keep the cutter in the cut vs it resetting (retracting to a safe space) and re entering the cut for the second, third, forth, ect.. operations. 

Also how does one handle unwinds? Is that a direct function of the post matched to your machine?

Last question, is it possible to ever create an post from mastercam that does not need to be edited by hand? I was told,”You will always have to edit the post manually, there is no way around it”.  IMHO, that has to be wrong. I just think he needs to learn mastercam better.

One of the things that I found very interesting was how you used Steps in one of the dialog boxes (axis control I think) to keep the file sizes smaller.  This was fantastic news. As I have watched the fellow at work strip every other line of Goode away many times to make the files smaller  

• We can certainly talk about Linking Operations, and also "controlling the Tool Axis for an individual operation. Both are certainly possible, and easy to do, when you know how.
  • Unwinds > You handle them by planning for them, and having a properly configured Post Processor. Most often, we use a Post Function called "pre-winding", where we tell the Post "Pre-Wind" to a specific rotation at the start of the cut, so that we don't "hit the rotary limit" during the actual cut.
  • I've built literally 100's of Post Processors over the years, and almost every single one of those was "post-and-go", with no hand-editing required. Hand-Editing your NC Code, at the machine, is literally the "worst way possible" to dial in your NC Code. However, it was also the method that I started with, many years ago, when I didn't know any other way to get the program to work. So; Yes, it is certainly possible, and is really "the norm", to have a Post that is edit-free. However, you've got to know all the in's-and-out's of creating a Toolpath Operation. The Operation is the "Input" to the Post, and the "Output" is properly formatted NC Code. (when everything is setup the correct way.)
  • Yes, "Maximum Step Distance" can be used to somewhat "filter" the NC Code. There are other tools which can "add" a Tool Vector Position, when needed.

• Like 2
On 3/6/2021 at 5:24 PM, neurosis said:

A lot of us have moved over to https://mastercamforums.com

Were not trying to take anything away from this forum .   We're just trying to compensate for the lack of the offtopic area that was removed. 

for the Mastercam forum! do you have to link it to your work account? I'm a contractor so it would be better to have it linked to my personal email address?

Thanks in advance!

4 hours ago, jean said:

for the Mastercam forum! do you have to link it to your work account? I'm a contractor so it would be better to have it linked to my personal email address?

Thanks in advance!

The official https://mastercam.com forum requires you to link your account. 

The forum that I was talking about is kind of an offshoot from this forum and was created to compensate for a lack of an offtopic section.  It was started so that we have a place to play without causing problems for IHS.   

7 minutes ago, neurosis said:

The official https://mastercam.com forum requires you to link your account. 

The forum that I was talking about is kind of an offshoot from this forum and was created to compensate for a lack of an offtopic section.  It was started so that we have a place to play without causing problems for IHS.   

Thanks