Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

searching for new workstation

lowcountrycamo

I have been given the go ahead to search for a new pc.  I use Mastercam and Vericut.  We do aerospace from small trunnions to large profilers.  Lately I have been working on bulkheads 48" x 120" and my work is really slowing down as I wait for Mcam regen/post and Vericut. What do you guys think of the follow specs:  Or could I do better for the money?

$3,630.75

Titan W161 - Intel Core i9 11th Gen Rocket Lake CAD Modeling Workstation PC up to 10 cores
Case: Silver Sandblasted Aluminum Steel Chassis w/ Tempered Glass Mid Tower Case
Case Fans: Standard Fans included with case
CPU / Processor: Intel Core i9-10900K Comet Lake 3.7 GHz (5.3GHz Turbo Boost) 125W 20MB L3 (10 Cores / 20 Threads)
CPU Cooling: 120mm AIO Liquid CPU Liquid Cooler - Closed Loop
CPU Thermal Compound: Antec Nano Diamond Thermal Compound Formula 7 w/ Diamond particles
Motherboard: ASRock Z590 PRO4 LGA 1200 Intel Z590 SATA 6Gb/s ATX Intel Motherboard
Memory: 64GB (4 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 3466 (PC4-27700) Desktop Memory
Power: 650W - 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Power Supply
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit - Includes Original Media Free USB Recovery Drive
Video Card: NVIDIA Quadro P1000 4GB GDDR5 Workstation Video Card
Sound Card: Onboard HD Sound Card
M.2 NVMe Drive: 500GB M.2 NVMe PCIe 3.0 x4 SSD - read/write 3430/2600 MBps
SATA Drive 1: Seagate 4TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
SATA-SAS RAID Controller: Onboard SATA 6Gb/s RAID Controller
NetWork: 2.5 Gigabit LAN Dragon RTL8125BG Onboard Lan Port
USB Ports: Onboard - 4x USB 3.2 Rear Ports | 2x USB 3.2 Type-A Ports | 1x USB 3.2 Type-C
Wireless: TP-LINK TL-WN823N Wireless N300 Mini USB Adapter, 300 Mbps, w/ WPS Button - 300Mbps
Assembly: Professional handcrafted Assembly w/ OS & Drivers Installation plus 72 Hours Components Burning Test
Warranty: Lifetime Labor & Technical Support 2 Years Parts Replacement

That is a nice machine

however, 

Video Card: NVIDIA Quadro P1000 4GB GDDR5 Workstation Video Card

this is a 3 year old entry level card and not nearly enough for 48 x 120 bulkheads

bare minimum should be a Quadro RTX 4000

better yet would be the newest Nvida Cad/Cam  card

Nvidia RTX A4000 or 5000

I would also replace this

SATA Drive 1: Seagate 4TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

with a soldi state drive ..

• Like 2

One system for CAM and One system for CAV is your best process moving forward. Let one do what it is doing while you can work on the other doing what it is doing. Put a 2 system Switch box on your computers to share one set of monitions, keyboard, Mouse and 3D mouse. Now you can let each chug away without robbing processing power from the other.  Put them both a on a local Network switch and then have a shared folder to share the files needed between them.

You have the M2 drive as the primary and the Seagate as the secondary drive so that is okay, but I am running a 2TB M2 Samsung 980 Pro with Read 7,000 MB/s and Write 5,100 MB/s. Link 

I was running the 1TB Samsung 970 Pro and just changing between those two drives was a nice difference. 

I am running a RTX5000 Nvidia Quardo Card on my Laptop with 128GB of memory and wish I had two systems sometimes to do CAM and CAV, but lately not needed. Doing that type of work a weak Video Card is not going to allow that system to look the best it could. I still say more memory the better.

1 hour ago, meatychips said:

what gcode said.  I'd also opt for an air cooler as an AIO can/will fail at some point.  

This.  I built one with liquid cooling somewhere around a decade ago.  Coolant pump failed after a while, leaving me dead in the water with a hot deadline looming.  Fortunately the CPU thermal shutdown worked, and all I needed was a new cooler.

Next build I went with the biggest air cooler I could get.  Put it in an oversized case just so I could close the cover.  That was over six years ago and it's still running (still overclocked) as a backup system.

2 hours ago, lowcountrycamo said:

I....
M.2 NVMe Drive: 500GB M.2 NVMe PCIe 3.0 x4 SSD - read/write 3430/2600 MBps
SATA-SAS RAID Controller: Onboard SATA 6Gb/s RAID Controller

I would go with a Samsung EVO 980 Pro M.2 NVMe or a Kingston KC3000. They are worth every single penny. Don't listen to the people that say "You should have a platter drive because..." (I used to be one back in the early SSD days). The SSD's DO have a finite life (read/write cycles), but, if you get new workstations with any regularity (10 years or under) you'll NEVER run into the problem.

I've been running Samsung SSD's for the last 7 years or so. I'm on the road a lot so my equipment doesn't get a nice cushy desk to be at for it's life. It goes through countless airports, Lyft's, machine shops, etc... over it's life.

Also take gcode's advise on the Video Card. See below for my system specs. I opted for the 4000 because the 5000 was more card than I needed.

:coffee:

3 hours ago, lowcountrycamo said:

CPU / Processor: Intel Core i9-10900K Comet Lake 3.7 GHz (5.3GHz Turbo Boost) 125W 20MB L3 (10 Cores / 20 Threads)

Intel is on 12th gen now. I would suggest going with a 12900K instead, single core performance on these is always improving gen over gen. 

• Like 1