Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Tool Projection Handled Differently?

parallax7761@comcast.net

So the other day I am trying to change how far my tool is sticking out of my holder. I usually just changed the overall length of tool to control this but I noticed it was not having an effect. Then I tried making the overall length of the tool much larger and noticed it sticking out the back of my default 2" dia. holder during verify. So finally I look under my holder settings and see the initial overall length of the tool is still the value of the "tool projection". I kind of like this new way now that I figured it out but I am curious as to why they did this? The only thing I can think might be annoying is how surfacing paths don't have a holder section in the paramaters(unless i missed it). you would have to go to another toolpath just to edit your tool projection for your surfacing path.

Just right click on the tool in the tool page within the toolpath and select edit projection.  It will take you back to the graphics screen and you can move the model around and select a point on the model and a slider will appear and you can move that or just type in a value.  Then hit enter and it will take you back to the toolpath page. Hope that helps.

• Thanks 1

Wow Thank you very much I never knew that...It's been 8 years since I went to school for Mastercam and I feel like I need to go again sometimes because of all the new stuff. How long has that ability to click and drag your tool projection been around? So is there a way to pick and edit your holder inside a Surfacing toolpath as well?

15 minutes ago, [email protected] said:

Wow Thank you very much I never knew that...It's been 8 years since I went to school for Mastercam and I feel like I need to go again sometimes because of all the new stuff. How long has that ability to click and drag your tool projection been around? So is there a way to pick and edit your holder inside a Surfacing toolpath as well?

Old School surfacing in 2021 does have this ability. That was the version I believe it was added it was not there before 2021.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, [email protected] said:

Thanks millman. By the way I just started watching a lot more content from Caminstructor on YouTube. I believe you appear in some of his content and just wanted to thank you for all the work you do that benefits all of us in Manufacturing.

I do and the whole Ron week was Mike's idea not mine. I am just trying to give back to this profession. Glad anything I do helps anyone it does.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4
On 2/16/2022 at 7:04 AM, [email protected] said:

but I am curious as to why they did this?

The overall length is fixed by the manufacturer, the projection will vary from job to job.

People actually use all the fields to define the tool (including order number or location in the crib). 

Defining the OAL as tre actual OAL rather than using this number for projection aids in tool management and avoids confusion when selecting or ordering the tool.

Sadly the only place I have worked at that had a tool crib was the community college. I have worked mostly in small prototype shops where many times I setup for myself. I am very aware overall lengths are controlled by the manufacturer and that projection varies from job to job but I am curious where are the fields to enter order number or location in the crib? I agree with your last statement  that being able to describe the actual OAL of a tool can clarify a lot of things including how much to hold onto in the holder. 

1 hour ago, [email protected] said:

Sadly the only place I have worked at that had a tool crib was the community college. I have worked mostly in small prototype shops where many times I setup for myself. I am very aware overall lengths are controlled by the manufacturer and that projection varies from job to job but I am curious where are the fields to enter order number or location in the crib? I agree with your last statement  that being able to describe the actual OAL of a tool can clarify a lot of things including how much to hold onto in the holder. 

We use the "Description" field to enter or tool bin location & the "Manufacturer's tool code" field to enter the ordering data. Then we have that info output in our Active report.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, [email protected] said:

but I am curious where are the fields to enter order number

If you look in the MP documentation it will give you the parameter numbers of all the AVAILABLE fields.

Some are not. it has been a while since I did my tool list post so I can't remember which exactly.

They aren't necessarily related, so I know I used the "CHUCK" field for tool crib position. Basically, because it was the only one I had left. However, when it posts out the tool list it is labeled "CRIB LOCATION" not "CHUCK".

• Thanks 1
33 minutes ago, nickbe10 said:

If you look in the MP documentation it will give you the parameter numbers of all the AVAILABLE fields.

Some are not. it has been a while since I did my tool list post so I can't remember which exactly.

They aren't necessarily related, so I know I used the "CHUCK" field for tool crib position. Basically, because it was the only one I had left. However, when it posts out the tool list it is labeled "CRIB LOCATION" not "CHUCK".

Where a Post with a String Table would allow you do get things like this handled, but maintaining the Post would be a nightmare. It would be great if we could cross reference a spread sheet and pull data from it with a post. Where having a system like Bob Wolcott's would do all of this and more if you could tap into from the post and have it spit it all out of if someone feel so inclined to have it.

• Huh? 1

You know I like to think of myself as a fairly advanced CNC programmer considering some of the jobs I have done, but some of the topics you all bring up are a little above my head. I will keep working toward understanding and utilizing more advanced techniques but I have noticed a lot of you have a good or advanced understanding of other programming languages and all kinds of resources or things I have never even heard of......who is Bob Wolcott?

Check out my signature. I've got some videos on YouTube, if you want to learn how the Post works...

3 minutes ago, [email protected] said:

You know I like to think of myself as a fairly advanced CNC programmer considering some of the jobs I have done, but some of the topics you all bring up are a little above my head. I will keep working toward understanding and utilizing more advanced techniques but I have noticed a lot of you have a good or advanced understanding of other programming languages and all kinds of resources or things I have never even heard of......who is Bob Wolcott?

• Like 2
1 hour ago, [email protected] said:

This topic: Linky

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, crazy^millman said:

Where a Post with a String Table would allow you do get things like this handled, but maintaining the Post would be a nightmare.

No need, we used a tool library with all the fields prefilled. Grab a tool, grab a holder (holder library) set projection and it all comes out in the post (modified .SET) just referencing the parameters .

The worst was building the tool and holder libraries (tedious doesn't do it justice) as nothing had been done before, but once done we could just add on as we went.

• Like 3