Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Contour Ramp C-Axis

scottm085

Hello,

Machine: DMG Mori Monoblock 65 5axis trunnion, rotary A and C

Problem: I have a round part that is approaching the limits of our machining window in X and Y. I have about 29” x-travel and about 25.5” y-travel. What I would like to do is rough out this part using a contour ramp toolpath with a 2in high-feed mill. Since limits will not let me get all the way around the part, I would like to park the tool at Y0.0, move out in X and use the c-axis to rotate the part around. The issue I am having is that no matter what I try my post forces the toolpath to substitute the x-axis instead of the y. I have talked with my reseller and they can’t seem to figure it out. They have also tried multiple posts with no luck. Has anyone ran into this or found a solution? The best I can figure is manually flip-flopping x’s and y’s in the NC, but I would rather not do that as standard practice.

I have attached a sample file. The actual part is an ITAR restricted part. Thanks.

contour_ramp_axis_sub.ZIP

• 3 months later...

CAMplete TruePath can take a ramp contour and spin the C-Axis while locking the X or Y axis on the + or - side... whichever you have more stroke in.

I have a couple machine models that have more travel on the X- side than the X+ or Y. We do it all the time.

How to get a Mastercam post to do it??? No idea.

I have tried duplicating planes, messing with rotations, altering the "A" rotation but could never get it to successfully post out. I had no problem getting the tool motion I was looking for in the Mastercam environment. Every time I would post the path out the tool would always go to and start at 12 o'clock. Ultimately, we got through the part in a less efficient way, but that would be nice to be able to choose my starting point for ramping utilizing the "C" axis.

Thanks for the replies!

1 hour ago, Chally72 said:

From when I've done similar in the past- the post has to be specifically set up to do this. The secondary vector (XY clocking) of the toolplane is in most cases not considered, and here you need it to be respected to get the correct output. 

37 minutes ago, scottm085 said:

I have tried duplicating planes, messing with rotations, altering the "A" rotation but could never get it to successfully post out. I had no problem getting the tool motion I was looking for in the Mastercam environment. Every time I would post the path out the tool would always go to and start at 12 o'clock. Ultimately, we got through the part in a less efficient way, but that would be nice to be able to choose my starting point for ramping utilizing the "C" axis.

Thanks for the replies!

I had to go down to a 4 Axis post to get it to work on these machines. You can reach out to your dealer and have them get a hold of Postability to see if they can make it happen like you're wanting it to.

• Like 1