Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Mastercam 2023 Swarf doesn't have Advanced Control Strategy?

parallax7761@comcast.net

1 hour ago, [email protected] said:

I was using Swarf this time and Swarf Milling last time. More accurately, the program I am reapplying to a slightly different part that was programmed by someone else... They are using "Swarf". In the past I always used Swarf Milling thank you for the clarification.

Old Swarf has different sync methods that are controlled in the chain manager dialog box. When picking the chains the programmer does not get the Chain Dialog and see the Sync Mode drop down. The programmer has to re-pick chain option and then the Chain Manager Dialog will show up. The programmer can pick the sync mode from it. If a programmer does a lot of old school swarf then they can define the default process through the configuration settings.

image.png.1ad4c771e92ceedf84b0067f220760cf.png

This is from help and you notice the tribal knowledge of how to use this for Swarf is gone.

Chain Manager

Mastercam opens the Chain Manager when you edit the geometry of toolpaths based on chained geometry rather than points. The Chain Manager lists all the chains for a toolpath operation. Since chaining determines the cut order, tool rapid moves, and the direction of tool movement, you may find that you need to modify the chaining after generating a toolpath. Use the Chain Manager to:

• Select chains: Click a listed chain to select it. To select an additional chain, or unselect a selected chain, hold down the [Ctrl] key while clicking the chain. To select a range, click the first chain to select it, then [Shift-click] the last chain in the range. Multiple chains can be selected even if Mastercam does not highlight them.
  • Identify chains: When you select a chain in the list, Mastercam highlights the corresponding chain geometry in the graphics window. Conversely, you can select a chain from its geometry by choosing Select (above the red arrow buttons) and clicking a chain in the graphics window. Mastercam selects (highlights) the corresponding chain name in the Chain Manager list. Use the Translucent option in the Chaining page of the System Configuration dialog box to display all chaining arrows, except selected ones, as translucent.
  • Re-order chains: To re-order chains in the list, select and drag a chain to a new position in the list.
  • Manage the insert arrow: Red arrow buttons, located along the right side of the dialog box let you move or find the red insert arrow, which indicates where new chains are added. For details, click Arrow buttons below.
  • Chaining tolerance: Defines the maximum distance that two endpoints can be apart and still be chained. Mastercam stops chaining and prompts for the next entity if the distance between two adjacent entities exceeds the chaining tolerance. This setting only applies to the selected toolpath and is applied to all subsequent regeneration of the operation. Other toolpaths will default to the chaining tolerance set in the Tolerances page of System Configuration unless otherwise changed.
  • Sync mode: Available for 2D High Speed Blend Toolpaths. Set the method Mastercam uses to align chains. Select one of the following methods from the drop-down list:

• None: Synchronizes the chains by dividing them each into an even number of points. Certain surfaces and toolpaths require more precision than this option provides.
    • By entity : Matches the chains by the endpoints of each entity. Requires both chains to have the same number of entities.
    • By branch: Matches the chains at branch points. Can be used for most chain synchronization.
    • By node: Matches two or more splines by the node points of each spline. Each spline must have the same number of node points. Applies only to parametric splines.
    • By point: Matches the chains by point entities on the endpoints of each entity. You need to have created the points where you want the chains to sync.
    • Manual: Matches the chains of user-defined areas.
    • Manual/density: Matches the chains that you specify and allows you to assign a density for each chain. If an area has small radii, use a higher density (such as 2) for a better finish.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1
12 minutes ago, [email protected] said:

Thanks and in that case which one do you recommend? Or is it that they are both still useful and relevant depending on the situation?

I can do everything I need to do with the Moduleworks one. Chains only can be used and I like some of the other features missing in the old school swarf. Old Swarf still has it's place and still used by many programmers so I don't see if going away for the next 5-10 years. Cannot Sync by point in Moduleworks and that is still one of my older go to methods when I need to really control a swarf toolpath. The other thing people are never taught with swarf is chain control. They always seem to think the chains have to be exact match top and bottom on a feature when they don't. I will sometimes extended the upper chain to get more tilt coming into a feature. IT can be done with tilt lines, but why create extra work if you don't need to. I have down many thousands of tilt lines and it gets old very fast, but when that is what you need then know how to do it.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, crazy^millman said:

Old Swarf has different sync methods that are controlled in the chain manager dialog box. When picking the chains the programmer does not get the Chain Dialog and see the Sync Mode drop down. The programmer has to re-pick chain option and then the Chain Manager Dialog will show up. The programmer can pick the sync mode from it. If a programmer does a lot of old school swarf then they can define the default process through the configuration settings.

image.png.1ad4c771e92ceedf84b0067f220760cf.png

This is from help and you notice the tribal knowledge of how to use this for Swarf is gone.

Quick reminder that you can still get to the sync modes while in chaining the way you've been able to since, well, at least X, maybe V9?    It's the old, old way of controlling it.  :) 

image.thumb.png.8be8f17dd67207f464ddb46553d64c4b.png

The Chain Manager choice was only added a few years ago, and it's a nice addition.  This works for anything that needs chain syncing, such as Lofted surfaces, Surface Finish Blend toolpaths, etc.

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1
5 minutes ago, Aaron Eberhard said:

Quick reminder that you can still get to the sync modes while in chaining the way you've been able to since, well, at least X, maybe V9?    It's the old, old way of controlling it.  :) 

image.thumb.png.8be8f17dd67207f464ddb46553d64c4b.png

The Chain Manager choice was only added a few years ago, and it's a nice addition.  This works for anything that needs chain syncing, such as Lofted surfaces, Surface Finish Blend toolpaths, etc.

Thanks forgot that method.

40 minutes ago, [email protected] said:

Okay after reading the google results for Moduleworks I think I get it...Moduleworks are their own CAD CAM company that has a long relationship with CNC Software and Moduleworks features have been integrated into Mastercam to assist with MCAM's 5 axis mill capabilities. Is that close?

Yes.

On 2/28/2023 at 4:27 PM, #Rekd™ said:

Look at their "partners" page on their website......lists almost every CAD/CAM company in the world that they lease technology to.

I did and wow there are more CAD/CAM companies than I would ever have imagined on that list. Seems like some pretty small companies on there or perhaps CAM from other niche markets I'm just not aware of. 

I'm sure I can probably find this back on the moduleworks website but what came first....Nevermind that question. I looked it up it's pretty amazing:

"ModuleWorks' origins can be traced back to the 1990s. During that time, Yavuz was a partner with a successful German Mastercam reseller, Camaix, developing 5-axis machining technology as a plug-in for the Mastercam product.

With the success of the initial 5-axis plug-in it became apparent there was a strong demand for the technology in the wider CAD/CAM industry, and so ModuleWorks was born. " - Moduleworks Website, Our History Page.

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, [email protected] said:

I did and wow there are more CAD/CAM companies than I would ever have imagined on that list. Seems like some pretty small companies on there or perhaps CAM from other niche markets I'm just not aware of. 

I'm sure I can probably find this back on the moduleworks website but what came first....Nevermind that question. I looked it up it's pretty amazing:

"ModuleWorks' origins can be traced back to the 1990s. During that time, Yavuz was a partner with a successful German Mastercam reseller, Camaix, developing 5-axis machining technology as a plug-in for the Mastercam product.

With the success of the initial 5-axis plug-in it became apparent there was a strong demand for the technology in the wider CAD/CAM industry, and so ModuleWorks was born. " - Moduleworks Website, Our History Page.

That is pretty much the way I remember it coming about.

On 2/28/2023 at 7:25 AM, [email protected] said:

Thanks and in that case which one do you recommend? Or is it that they are both still useful and relevant depending on the situation?

I typically use the old school 5-Axis paths (scarf included) when I need Cutter Comp on a 5-Axis toopath. Not all the MW paths provide me with that. 

As @crazy^millman said, both have their place.