Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Circle Mill Helical Entry Not Working

Bill H

You have to have "Finish" check for the helical entry to activate. i dunno why.

Also the 0.00001 total tolerance was blocking it. I changed it to 0.001 & it worked

3 minutes ago, So not a Guru said:

You have to have "Finish" check for the helical entry to activate. i dunno why.

I was wrong, it is the 0.00001 total tolerance that is blocking it. I changed it to 0.001 & it works fine,

I believe that Neurosis & So Not A Guru together have the correct answer.

You have a toolpath tolerance that's below the default system tolerance:

image.png.52ae3a880c5368ab6fe3968104c0f06a.png

You over-rode the default behavior of Circle Mill (Output 3d arcs) which means that the helical entry needs linearized at your toolpath tolerance, which it won't be able to do, so I'm guessing it's dumping it into the "If Helix Fails" loop.  

You'd need a programmer to validate this, of course, but that's my theory.

And just to confirm you're not crazy, Neurosis - Pre 2020 there was no "toolpath tolerance" page for Circle Mill, and it was always outputting 3d arcs.    When we consolidated 3 axis & 5 axis circle mill, the tolerance page was needed.  The default behavior was to have it on, as that matched what had happened since circle mill was invented in V3 or whenever it was.  It's greyed out if you set Tool Axis Control to 4 or 5 axis, since that toolpath cannot generate 3d arcs at all.

• Thanks 3
  • Like 1