Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

MCAM 2024 - takes 5-7 seconds to load tool library

Tinger

When I click the  button "Select tool from library", it takes 5-7 seconds to pull up the library window. I just switched over to 2024 from 2023 yesterday. 2023 was instantaneous. Something I'm doing wrong?

Does anyone else have this issue? I've tried restarting my computer but that doesn't help.

• Sad 1
2 hours ago, AMCNitro said:

Thats the lay of the land... In previous job the PC was so underpowered that if I, accidentally, hit the tool  from the operation tree it would crash the PC

Do you think it's my PC? 

i7-9700K

64 gb DDR4 3200 MHz

500 gb NVME ssd

Considering how fast my PC normally is with the previous version of mcam, I did not even consider is was my pc.

Does anyone know good specs to open up a tool library?

On 6/23/2023 at 8:52 PM, Tinger said:

Do you think it's my PC? 

i7-9700K

64 gb DDR4 3200 MHz

500 gb NVME ssd

Considering how fast my PC normally is with the previous version of mcam, I did not even consider is was my pc.

Does anyone know good specs to open up a tool library?

Is the library local or on a network drive?

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Simon Kausch said:

Is the library local or on a network drive?

It normally isn't, but I made a local copy to test it and no difference.

I'm having other problems with this tool library so I sent a copy to mastercam to take a look.

• 2 months later...
On 6/22/2023 at 7:03 PM, Tinger said:

When I click the  button "Select tool from library", it takes 5-7 seconds to pull up the library window. I just switched over to 2024 from 2023 yesterday. 2023 was instantaneous. Something I'm doing wrong?

Does anyone else have this issue? I've tried restarting my computer but that doesn't help.

I have this happen all the time, but I know exactly why it does in my case.

We keep the tool library, machine def, post, on a network drive so all our workstations are using the same settings and info.

It's slow because the network and server hardware is trash ( workstations are connected to network with wifi), and I'd be hard pressed to convince the company owner to put SSDs in the server and put the whole LAN on a 10Gb switch.

7 hours ago, jpatry said:

I have this happen all the time, but I know exactly why it does in my case.

We keep the tool library, machine def, post, on a network drive so all our workstations are using the same settings and info.

It's slow because the network and server hardware is trash ( workstations are connected to network with wifi), and I'd be hard pressed to convince the company owner to put SSDs in the server and put the whole LAN on a 10Gb switch.

this is my situation exactly. At work it takes about 5-10 seconds to pull up (still on a network, but local). then when I'm programming from home, it has to go through the VPN and the network,.. it takes about 30-45 seconds... this is when I lurk the forum hahaha. that, and when annoying stock models are regenerating.

11 minutes ago, Kyle F said:

this is my situation exactly. At work it takes about 5-10 seconds to pull up (still on a network, but local). then when I'm programming from home, it has to go through the VPN and the network,.. it takes about 30-45 seconds... this is when I lurk the forum hahaha. that, and when annoying stock models are regenerating.

Well I use to make my own solid stock models for parts before what we have now existed. It could take 40 hours making some of the more complex ones. I would back plot the toolpaths and save the geometry to levels per tool. I would then start the process of mimicking those toolpaths with Boolean remove, sweep, loft or whatever method I needed to get the solid to be what that operation created. Someone might ask why go through al the trouble? That was 14 years ago for one place I worked at. They are still running those parts and before I reprogrammed them they were taking 22 hours to machine. After I was done we got them under 6 hours. 800 pieces a year for 14 years x 12 hours. Had I got just 50% of the savings over the last 14 years I could have retired.  Shop rate was $200 an hour you do the math.

1 hour ago, crazy^millman said:

Well I use to make my own solid stock models for parts before what we have now existed. It could take 40 hours making some of the more complex ones. I would back plot the toolpaths and save the geometry to levels per tool. I would then start the process of mimicking those toolpaths with Boolean remove, sweep, loft or whatever method I needed to get the solid to be what that operation created. Someone might ask why go through al the trouble? That was 14 years ago for one place I worked at. They are still running those parts and before I reprogrammed them they were taking 22 hours to machine. After I was done we got them under 6 hours. 800 pieces a year for 14 years x 12 hours. Had I got just 50% of the savings over the last 14 years I could have retired.  Shop rate was $200 an hour you do the math.

man oh man! the stuff people had to do in the past that was so painstaking,... is now 2-3 mouse clicks.. I am very grateful for the technological advancements in CAM haha

that's a metric f-ton of savings