Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

2024 Can't adjust tool projection

Tinger

6 minutes ago, Jayson Kramer said:

see in the yellow window popout. this telling you how far and how short by the tool definition what you are aloud. Go into the tool definition and adjust.

I don't see anywhere in the definition to adjust projection limits? This tool projection can be adjusted in some holders but not others.

Here is the def for the tool

image.thumb.jpeg.5eca1c187dc38d743ccd68f000a0f619.jpeg

your shoulder length of .85 should be the shortest tool projection and 2.25 should be your longest.

I would save the file close MC and open and try to adjust it. 
Have you tried going to the operation to the tool list and right click on tool and pick "Edit Projection" and see what it does for you there? is it still limiting you there to?

1 minute ago, David Colin said:

Your tool seems correct and you should be alllowed to adjust projection from .85(shoulder) to 2.25 (oal). That s how it worked with 2023 though.

Are all your tools concerned? 

So far there are two holders that don't allow adjustment. Other holders work as normal. I deleted the holders, and recreated them.... issue still exist... huh??

1 minute ago, Jayson Kramer said:

your shoulder length of .85 should be the shortest tool projection and 2.25 should be your longest.

I would save the file close MC and open and try to adjust it. 
Have you tried going to the operation to the tool list and right click on tool and pick "Edit Projection" and see what it does for you there? is it still limiting you there to?

It still dosen't allow adjustment. I think I need to uninstall and reinstall 2024

image.thumb.jpeg.cbab31ebc537b6eba65ad7b173719820.jpeg

Just now, Chally72 said:

Tinger, is this part of the same tool library you were having loading time issues with? If you haven't already, please send this projection issue in to tech support as well for them to look at.

It is. I sent the file to qc and they are looking at it.

Update: fresh 2024 install didn't fix the problem. I think the tool database file got nuked when I updated it to 2024. I'm kicking myself for not saving a previous version backup.

If you want tool projection to be longer than 2.25" you must make the tool longer too

Go into the tool geometry page and adjust the over all length to 4"

then adjust the stick out on the Holder page

or the edit assembly page 

36 minutes ago, Tinger said:

I'm kicking myself for not saving a previous version backup.

I learned that lesson years and years ago.  :(  Make a backup, and then back up the backup.   :lol:  

I'll usually have 3 versions of MC installed at the same time. Some times that feels like a waste of space. But some times it doesn't. 

26 minutes ago, gcode said:

If you want tool projection to be longer than 2.25" you must make the tool longer too

Go into the tool geometry page and adjust the over all length to 4"

then adjust the stick out on the Holder page

or the edit assembly page 

I only want it sticking out 1.0" :(

Problem Solved!

CNC software figured out the issue. The bottom face of the holder model had a slight angle and some short line segments. They changed some behind the scenes stuff regarding holders and projection in 2024 which made this issue come to the surface.

I cleaned up the models and made new holders. Projection issue fixed.

Unfortunately all my assemblies using these holders now have to be recreated... oh well.. wish I was paid hourly! 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
31 minutes ago, Tinger said:

Unfortunately all my assemblies using these holders now have to be recreated

save the fixed holder as wireframe to a level

use that wire to revolve a solid and save it as a step file

open a busted holder file and redefine it by picking the new step file

once you have the step file made, it shouldn't take more that a minute to repair

one of the misbehaving holders

• Thanks 2
  • Like 2