Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Coolant skin reaction

So not a Guru

We use Quaker Houghton WS8595 coolant in our machines. It works great for the variety of materials we cut, but it causes the skin at the tips of my fingers to split and bleed. It doesn't bother any of the operators but me.

I've always been prone to rashes, so I figure it's mostly just me. Nevertheless, I would prefer not to have split & bleeding fingers, because I'm just a whiny dude.

The Plant manager is not against changing coolant. So I'm hoping someone here might have some suggestions for a good replacement. We primarily cut aluminum & various stainless alloys, with a smattering of titanium & inconel.

47 minutes ago, So not a Guru said:

I've always been prone to rashes, so I figure it's mostly just me.

People's chemistry is different. I'd try the allergy test first. 

My brother has an acidic touch. When he picks up calipers or anything else shiny or chrome it would rust where he touched it. You could literally see his fingerprints in dark gray on the shiny surfaces. He always has to wipe his tools and stuff. 

Blaser, no, or minimal nasty additives in it. It does require more maintenance, ie. keeping an eye on mix ratios, PH etc but it completely cured a lot of my customers skin issues when I was selling it. Now own my own shop and have also chosen to run it for operator health.

• Thanks 1

As you're already a Houghton user, could be worth using what I had in all the machines (lathes mills and manuals)
Houghton HOCUT 795 SC (chlorine free – approved for titanium machining).
All @ 10% and we'd rigid tap M1.6 threads in aluminum when required with no issues.

• Thanks 1
On 7/31/2023 at 11:08 PM, MrFish said:

Blaser, no, or minimal nasty additives in it. It does require more maintenance, ie. keeping an eye on mix ratios, PH etc but it completely cured a lot of my customers skin issues when I was selling it. Now own my own shop and have also chosen to run it for operator health.

We're also using Blaser (Blasocut 935 I think) and happy with it.

• Like 1