Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Break two pieces

TERRYH

What I use it for is to create patches to cover holes on top of a contoured part being rastered with a ball mill to keep the tool from going into the holes. See attached picture, Most of the time power surface does not work so I'll create a line around the top of the holes (counter bores for bolts drilled from bottom) then I'll break that line into 4 segments and use loft to create the patch (surface) to cover the hole. In previous versions it used to never do this, can't remember where it started but it has done it in 23-24 I only do it this way as a work around because something else does not work properly.  I did just try power surface on these simple contour parts and it did work good enough for what I need it to do. In the past on larger and more complex contours it would give me what was needed and I would use the other method.

3.png

Hi Terry,

1. I make a copy of the solid, on a new level, and typically in a new color.
  2. I run "Remove History" on this 2nd "Manufacturing Model".
  3. I then use the "Modify Feature", set to "Remove Feature" to remove the "hole" going through those solid faces.
  4. (Note: check the back-side, and first remove any counter-bore, or chamfer features, before removing the "through hole".)
  5. Note2: You can "double click" on that cylinder, to have Mastercam "attempt to recognize and identify the whole feature".
  • Like 5
2 minutes ago, Colin Gilchrist said:

Hi Terry,

3. I then use the "Modify Feature", set to "Remove Feature" to remove the "hole" going through those solid faces.
  4. (Note: check the back-side, and first remove any counter-bore, or chamfer features, before removing the "through hole".)
  5. Note2: You can "double click" on that cylinder, to have Mastercam "attempt to recognize and identify the whole feature".

Or you can just have it leave it on "add" and create a plug that can be selected.

The even lazier way (if you have it) is to use Unified, on the linking page make sure your Small Gap size is larger than the holes.

image.png.8f831089e102ce1065d820af11e2d73b.png

• Like 2

Terry

Does the Fill Holes option in Surfaces not work for these features?  In cases where it doesn't work, I just use Curve One Edge in Wireframe to outline the holes, then use Line Endpoints to connect the straight lines inside those outlines, then you can use Net Surface or Flat Boundary as needed.

17 hours ago, BSmith23 said:

Terry

Does the Fill Holes option in Surfaces not work for these features?  In cases where it doesn't work, I just use Curve One Edge in Wireframe to outline the holes, then use Line Endpoints to connect the straight lines inside those outlines, then you can use Net Surface or Flat Boundary as needed.

yes it works when there is a single surface around a hole and I use it where I can, however if there are 2 or more around a hole like on this part it does not work so well.

On 8/7/2023 at 2:44 PM, Colin Gilchrist said:

Hi Terry,

For some reason I could not get this to work, not sure of I am doing it wrong or if it has something to do with how the part was designed. 

On 8/7/2023 at 2:44 PM, Colin Gilchrist said:

Hi Terry,

I got this to work on one part on all but one of the holes gave me an error, on another part it worked on all but 3 holes and gave an error. On both parts it worked on all the bottom thru holes the errors were given on the top counterbores.

9 minutes ago, TERRYH said:

I got this to work on one part on all but one of the holes gave me an error, on another part it worked on all but 3 holes and gave an error. On both parts it worked on all the bottom thru holes the errors were given on the top counterbores.

In the cases it does not work try using push-pull to extend the hole (if blind) out of the part and then delete the now boss feature. 

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Johnward Holmeson said:

In the cases it does not work try using push-pull to extend the hole (if blind) out of the part and then delete the now boss feature. 

I use a similar technique when it fails, but I go the other way with it and push/pull the hole smaller. Like you've seen, Terry, It seems to fail if there are multiple surfaces that span the hole. I use push/pull to make the hole smaller until the hole only has a single surface surrounding it, then it will delete every time.