Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

2024 Machine Simulation

sharles

Hey guys,

for the last couple of versions of Mastercam, from time to time my machine simulation will slow down when trying to run operations to the point it's nearly unusable. Sometimes even within the same part, some operations will run fine and others will barely run at all in machine simulation.

Anyone have any ideas?  I moved the part off the server and onto my desktop, and that didn't help. My reseller had me uncheck "Disable GPU processing" and that didn't help. They said they can run my part fine, so, it must be something on my end, but I have no idea what.

Thanks,

Ron,

I don't think it's a computer specs issue because my coworker can run my parts thru machine sim on his computer just fine and his computer is MUCH older than mine. My reseller suggested we reinstall the machine sim stuff in case it got corrupted like the configuration folder does sometimes. So, that's the next step, I guess. My IT lady reinstalled my graphics card driver and that didn't help...

57 minutes ago, sharles said:

Ron,

I don't think it's a computer specs issue because my coworker can run my parts thru machine sim on his computer just fine and his computer is MUCH older than mine. My reseller suggested we reinstall the machine sim stuff in case it got corrupted like the configuration folder does sometimes. So, that's the next step, I guess. My IT lady reinstalled my graphics card driver and that didn't help...

Well I did Tech support for a Mastercam dealer and no matter the age of the system if it is not up to the correct specifications it didn't matter. I was trying to help by getting some information, but see that will get me no where. Hopefully you get it sorted out. 

yeah, I spent 30 minutes with my reseller. It's part specific and only on my computer. If I run it on my coworker's older computer, it runs just fine. If I run other parts I've recently done, they run fine on my computer. I've had this sporadically happen in 2023, but never bothered to try to figure it out.

My reseller is going to send it on to CNC Software or Module Works and see if they have an idea.

1 hour ago, Aaron Eberhard said:

Just to be clear/pedantic - When you say slow down, is it the simulation itself slowing down or the interface (opening menus/changing translucency, etc.?).

machine simulation slows down...barely even moving...

1 hour ago, gcode said:

Have you tried switching between Time Mode and Length Mode

Depending on the type of toolpaths you are running through Machine SIm, these switches can have a huge effect

on simulation speeds

machine sim screen shot.jpg

I've tried all 3 modes. None make a difference.

1 hour ago, crazy^millman said:

Well I did Tech support for a Mastercam dealer and no matter the age of the system if it is not up to the correct specifications it didn't matter. I was trying to help by getting some information, but see that will get me no where. Hopefully you get it sorted out. 

Ron, I'm sorry. I wasn't trying to blow you off. If you want something specific, please let me know what and also where to find it: I'm not a techy when it comes to computers.

I've found that the video card makes a huge difference in Machine Sim performance

both in launch times and simulation speed.

I recently purchased a new PC and have updated my siggy to reflect that.

The difference in performance from my old machine to the new one is might and day

and my old machine is a very good cad/cam machine.

The new machine opens even large complex 5X programs in seconds and simulates them smoothly 

at whatever speed I choose to run them.

You state that your coworker's  old PC runs machine sim fine, while your new machine does not

My opinion is that an older machine with an old cad/cam worthy video card will run machine sim

better than a newer machine with a desktop class video card. 

You haven't told us what video card you are running but I'm guessing it is the cause of your troubles.

I have a gaming computer instead of one designed for cad/cam work. There was a power play between a grandson and our IT head. Our IT head ended up leaving over the clash for a year until they finally kicked the grandson out, but I know our IT guy isn't thrilled with my computer...maybe this is part of the reason....

7 minutes ago, JParis said:

and the Geforce answer bites yet another user

Yep...  Another company making stupid naming decisions, too..  It used to be easy "Just make sure you get a Quadro!" 

Now, it's "Make sure you get an RTX, not a Geforce RTX!"  "In terms of how this affects product naming, NVIDIA GeForce GTX and NVIDIA GeForce RTX GPUs are separate product series from NVIDIA RTX GPUs."   Yes, I had this link handy because I've sent it to three people in the last two weeks.

Sharles - Any idea what video card your coworker has?

12 minutes ago, Aaron Eberhard said:

Yep...  Another company making stupid naming decisions, too..  It used to be easy "Just make sure you get a Quadro!" 

Now, it's "Make sure you get an RTX, not a Geforce RTX!"  "In terms of how this affects product naming, NVIDIA GeForce GTX and NVIDIA GeForce RTX GPUs are separate product series from NVIDIA RTX GPUs."   Yes, I had this link handy because I've sent it to three people in the last two weeks.

Sharles - Any idea what video card your coworker has?

not sure. he's on a totally different windows system...haven't been able to find his graphics card info yet, like I said: I'm not much of a techy...I'll try to keep looking

51 minutes ago, JParis said:

and the Geforce answer bites yet another user

Yes throw a Quardo Card in with 16gb of memory and see if you keep having this problem. I have a 4 year old RTX5000 16GB card in my Laptop and not one problem running 4-10 million lines of code through Machinesim or Vericut. With that card I wouldn't expect to do more than a 100 and have a fight.

31 minutes ago, sharles said:

thanks. he's got a Quadro 4000

There is the reason and the answer all wrapped up into one. Cheap ignorant IT person cheeped out on your system and now you are dealing with that bad decision. They probably got a bonus for saving the company money on your system that was 10000 more costly than getting you what you needed to begin with. Maybe if you tear up a spindle or do $100k worth of damage to a machine they might understand that even $5k for a video care is much cheaper. Tripping over possible hundreds of thousands of dollars to save pennies.

• Like 1

You might also check that you are targeting the right gpu in the Nvidia Control Panel or forcing it on the BIOS, it's happened before that the PC uses the wrong graphics,.

I would also make sure your my mastercam & shared mastercam folders were not on the network, I know machsim pulls files from one of those folders..

You could check the TEMP folder mapping too..

Sometimes it's also just the graphics not being up to data, out of data graohics card can also be crippling, there is NVIDIA Quadro Experience or GEFORCE Experience that does a better job of keeping the GPU up to date..

You can also avoid issues by closing programs such as Microsoft Teams that might interfere with MAchSim

• Thanks 1