Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Filling difficult holes in a solid

Sigurd

I cheated. I did this outside of Mastercam. I fooled around in NX for a few minutes trying to use the synchronous modeling to delete the faces. Each time, to get anything that will allow me to remove the cylinder (hole), it basically defeatures the part until there is nothing to rough.

The problem "modeling wise", is the cutouts were made after the holes were already poked through the model. You have the 'runner' geometry (convex cylindrical surfaces), intersection with some "planar tilted pockets", and then there are just a bunch of radius features, thrown on to blend everything together.

I gave up trying to just modify the solid. I used 'extract geometry' in NX to create composite curves, and created surface patches.

• Thanks 2
  • Like 2

I also gave up with the solid in Mastercam. Since we have the entire tool model in Solidworks, we got the idea to extrude a solid cylinder in the holes, and then cavity out the runner. That effectively gave me the runner geometry without the ejector pin hole, which I what I'm looking for. 

• Like 1

These patch surfaces I created in Mastercam.

fill holes_patch-surfs_surf-intersections.X_T

You can see where I took the "flat tilted floor surface", untrimmed the surface, and expanded it in all directions, then untrimmed the runner cylindrical geometry, and extended it until it fully intersected the flat floor face. I then created a curve at the intersection of those surfaces. (I made the curve thicker.)

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1
9 hours ago, Leon82 said:

sometimes power surface can give you something good for avoiding a hole

Yep, I tried. The surface it generated had a spike sticking up really close to the wall. 

11 hours ago, AMCNitro said:

I have to this quite often with ejector pin holes.  I usually use Net Surface.  It doesn't need to have the actual shape of the runner, you're going to drill it anyways.  You just need to plug it so MC doesn't machine down the image.png.6989eb69eae04c6c8259f664dd0a655a.pnghole.

I see I'm not the only one who extrudes a "fence" on parting lines when cutting runners.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Sigurd said:

Yep, I tried. The surface it generated had a spike sticking up really close to the wall. 

I see I'm not the only one who extrudes a "fence" on parting lines when cutting runners.

Only way to do it.  If you don't it rounds off the edge, I learned that the hard way.  I also do it on the cavities.  I don't understand why scallops doesn't give you the option to make it straight.

Learn how to use Net Surface(really easy), it will save you a lot of head scratching for simple surfaces.

21 hours ago, Leon82 said:

sometimes power surface can give you something good for avoiding a hole

Power surface is hit and miss for me, sometimes it does that I need it to do, sometimes it does something unexplainable 

• Like 1
On 9/26/2023 at 10:17 AM, AMCNitro said:

Only way to do it.  If you don't it rounds off the edge, I learned that the hard way.  I also do it on the cavities.  I don't understand why scallops doesn't give you the option to make it straight.

Learn how to use Net Surface(really easy), it will save you a lot of head scratching for simple surfaces.

Power surface is hit and miss for me, sometimes it does that I need it to do, sometimes it does something unexplainable 

I can usually get away with roughing a runner without a fence like that. I've had luck with setting Steep/Shallow -> Minimum Depth to something below the parting line, if there's not too much finishing stock left in the runner or the cutter isn't too small. 

I'll look into Net Surface for next time. Always something to learn.

On 9/23/2023 at 10:51 AM, Aaron Eberhard said:

Well that was difficult!  I was able to do it, but I had to undo the fillets.   image.thumb.png.ebc8dcb6af042d0460782d5357c900db.png

If you'd like, I can create a video showing how I did it.  There was a lot of iterations of Simplify/Optimize, modify feature/fillet, push pull, etc.

I'd be curious to see that video if it's not too much trouble for you.

2 hours ago, #Rekd™ said:

Subscribed to your channel!!!! Thank you!

Thanks!  I was joking above, but I believe you're the first subscriber :)   I just created this channel a week or two ago, as a friend was running into trouble figuring out an old Robodrill they bought.   I figured I'd document my adventures in mine. 

Mastercam help seemed like it fit as well.

• Like 1