Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

NC Editor to do mathematical equations

cncworker

Hi all,

I'm looking for an NC editor that will do a search and replace for the Z axis.  But instead of a straight replace of the Z number, will add to the Z number, no matter what the Z number is.

I have a lathe program with a lot of Z moves.  I just want to add .240 to all the Z numbers.  Is there an editor that can do this?

Thanks

I am not aware of any capable of doing what you are asking.

If this is just for a one off then handle this at the machine.

If you have multiple tools and want them all  to have the .24 added then I would add that change to the work offset (G54 or whatever..)

If its just one tool then add that number to the tool Z offset.

18 hours ago, cncworker said:

Thanks everyone!  I have Cimco Edit, but apparently not the full blown version.  I am missing some tabs at the top as well. 

Yes, Mastercam ships with a gimped version of Cimco, it's still good, but nowhere near the god tier of the real thing

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/1/2023 at 4:14 AM, JParis said:

I wouldn't go THAT far...We have seats of NCPlot because of shortcomings of Cimco...it is though a useful tool.

Not to hijack the thread, but I'd been thinking about getting NCPlot for several years but it looks like it hasn't been really updated for years other than minor updates? 

I wanted to get it for troubleshooting macros and the editor math abilities.  It looks like it's come up in price quite a bit as well? 

2 minutes ago, neurosis said:

Not to hijack the thread, but I'd been thinking about getting NCPlot for several years but it looks like it hasn't been really updated for years other than minor updates? 

It has not been updated for sometime...we are running 2.34...I wouldn't even know what would need updating, it does about everything we bought it to do...

7 minutes ago, JParis said:

It has not been updated for sometime...we are running 2.34...I wouldn't even know what would need updating, it does about everything we bought it to do...

As far as the updating, I'm just wondering if this will continue to run through future O/S.  It was written back in the XP days and looks exactly the same as it did back then. 

Do you know if it has the ability to step through macros while you're troubleshooting, or does it just simulate straight through?

Just now, neurosis said:

Do you know if it has the ability to step through macros while you're troubleshooting, or does it just simulate straight through?

You can open a window that will show it working through a macro and the values it is calculating...you can go one step at a time to watch the values update....it does not show tool movement for macros

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, tryon said:

Cimco is constantly improving it

looking at my Cimco download folder it looks like they put out a new release ever 2 months or so

I see 2 releases in Oct 2023

Years ago I reported a bug directly to Cimco in Denmark.

They issued a new release fixing that bug the same week.

14 hours ago, tryon said:

Should be in there.  Backplot a program and the tabs show up on the right side.  The tabs are work offsets, variables.  

If you have sub programs or separate macro programs just put them all in the same file you are back plotting at the end after you're M30

I don't know what to say...my programs for my HMC's ALL have macro statements, some have macros, all have multiple offsets, all have subprograms after the M30...

Maybe it's because it is a Mazak and they(Cimco) won't even backplot it properly....but none of what you said work for me and haven't worked for me since 2016 when we bought the full blown editor seat....that is the single reason we bought NCPlot because it just works for that.

My version is 23.01.27

For an example

Open cimco 

In the file type ribbon change the drop down to formulas 

Start a new file then open nc assistant and open up the macro function drop-down and select macro b circle. Press insert macro button. 

Open the backplot window.  

Adjust #1 and see how it updates.  

On the right hand side there are 4 vertical tabs labeled simulation, navigation, variables, and geometry navigator.  

It does not know machine system variables just #1 thru #999 as far as I can tell.  

I see what you are pointing out...still useless for my use...doesn't understand G10 lines, doesn't understand how Mazak subprograms are called, doesn't understand the offset variables(#70001+), trouble with macros still becasue of the #999 limitation....

NCPlot has just worked for all that stuff....

Though both are going to get a lot less use with Vericut coming online after the start of the New Year...

I do thank you for pointing out that it does have "some" ability finally.