Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Emergency stop button

Brendan P

Although I rearely run machines on the floor anymore,one thing that always aggravates me is when I go to boot up a machine I only get so far then I realize that someone had hit the E-stop button.

Is there any real logical reason for hitting this button on shut down at the end of the night??

I think that some of our operators have it instilled in their head that this needs to be done.

I personally have never done it,and never had a problem the next day on powering up.

I have never read that this needs to be done. wink.gif

Proper shut down procedure is; Emergency Stop On, Control Power Off, Machine Power Off. I just had to sign that off for the new machine we just had installed. Not sure why, but it doesn't hurt any. Just like Corey mentioned, I think it's more of a habit for me now than anything else.

Don't really know if it 'needs' to be done but I always E-stop, twist the button to release the E-stop [so the machine doesn't come up in an E-stop condition], Control Off, then shut the Main off.

The first thing I always do when I walk up to a machine that's shut down is twist the E-stop; just a habit...

C

The reason that I hit the estop first was to shut down the hydraulics and all the other drives under a "controlled" shutdown. The old guy I learned from suggested that the control would avoid electrical spikes this way if it was shut down on its own. Is this truth or just his opinion? Anyone... Anyone...

quote:

The reason that I hit the estop first was to shut down the hydraulics and all the other drives under a "controlled" shutdown.

Not sure about that Andrew considering that to turn on machine hydraulics only, one of the requirements is that E-stop has to be activated. That's on the Mitsubishis, not sure about other brands.

imo the e-stop is for when the machine is on fire.i have ran many diffrent machine makes and never e stoped them always power of then breaker.

maybe its wrong but it always works.to me if i want to simply turn of the machine this does not constitute a emergency.

trevor

A Haas servise tech told be you should always

hit the E stop when shutting down. It protects

the servo motors and drive cards from power spikes

during shut down, but more importantly,

it completely islotates the drive cards and contollers from spikes while powering up.

If the E stop is engaged during power up, the drive cards get no juice at all until the onboard

power supllies are up and runing.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

When the E-Stop is hit on my pallet pool - EVERYTHING ceases to function. GUess it's a safety feature so if you're at any part of the system and you see something going wrong, you can stop everything. Kind of a pain. E-Stop ONLY for an EMERGENCY, no other reason.

I also always hit the "E-stop" at shut down. Always have, always will (unless the machine manufacturer says otherwise).

Have you ever thought there might be covert training going on? Every day we practice pushing the e-stop. This way in a real emergency our arms will reach out and hit the big red button without even having to think about where it is. Think about the last time you were doing a set-up and got wet when the coolant came on unexpectedly. How long did it take you to find the coolant off button/switch compaired to the last time you needed the e-stop button. Just a thought..

Phil

I got into that habit for a while. On some 'ol school Mori's, part of the shut down procedures was to hit the E-stop. I guess you had to release the hydrolics. After a while with the hydrolics under pressure would blow the seals. One morning you show up and there's a big puddle of hydrolic fluid on the floor. With these new machines I think it releases the prsseure from the pumps when you hit the power button. I did it for years up until recently! banghead.gif

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Yeah, machines are so fast these days that you can't react fast enough to save the part let alone the macine if it's going at full rapid.