Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Reverse Engineering

mayday

anyone got some experience doing this? I just finished up 2 parts. all I had to work with was bondo molds. I got some help from Faro Gage on this project, they did a laser scan and then used Geomagic to clean up the surface model from the scaner. to say the least I was impressed with the work they did. Just curios if anyone else is doing this and if so what equipment are you using

We do this a lot and geomagic is the way to go. We used to use faro digitized data and still do alot of the time but sometimes it just isn't good enough. To choppy and too much time spent cleaning it up after the fact. Just like anything else though if you have junk to begin with you will get junk out or a lot of work involved to make it right.

This was a good learning expierience for me. the parts turned out quite well.It took some time in geomagic to smooth things out. this job was under the gun so we couldnt spend a lot of time in the cad state,I had to make chips ASAP.

Using an arm (or even a probe on a machine) you can get decent data along your own flowlines. Just drag and collect the points, turn them into a spline, reduce if necessary, and loft the splines together. Or take sections in 2 different directions, create splines, massage gently to get true intersections, and coons them. This can also be done with a height gage (or forklift if the part is too big smile.gif ) and a scribe to recreate the old 1X1 grid mold line data sheets.

Also look into verisurf.

Laser scanning and geomagic is the way to go though. Pricy, but almost always great results.

We started this trying to gather data on our CMM. after 2 hrs CMM time and 3hrs me and MC time,I new there had to be a better way. we have a Faro inspection arm so they where happy to do the laser demo.So I road triped to Wixom and wah-la 1/2 hr after being there I had surface data. So I feel with enough work the Laser is do-able even tho its around 6 fig

Recently I took part at show "Metalloobrabotka2004" There my part was scan with

optical digitizer from GOM http://www.gom.com

After half of hour I got sections in XYZ planes and STL model

For get CAD surface they use Geomagic but I have not a time for it.

Opel_vectra2004_1.jpg

Opel_vectra2004_2.jpg

Looks really expensive! A little beyond the budget here......

Mayday, I've talked to and e-maild Roger but never got to meet him. I was green at posts at the time and I think I got on his nerves a couple times but he did help me out greatly, he knows his "stuff".

quote:

Geomagic is great except that it really only shines when you have MILLIONS of points. When using a Faro, Microscribe, etc. you are really limited to creating splines and lofting them together.

+1 on that.

RapidForm and Geomagic are two greatest Reverse Engineering softwares which can work with point cloud easily.

CopyCAD is another rev eng software from DELCAM (also works well on point cloud).

If you're interested you can fill a form at RapidForm site and get a free trial for 30 days. smile.gif

HTH

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys,

Yes the reseller for Geomagic is www.appliedprecision.ca. I have worked for them for some time (now on my own again) doing Class-A and rapid reverse engineering. Depending on youyr needs, you may not be able to use Geo. You may need a classical reverse engineering approach. Email me at Ritmo2k"at"Yahoo.com if you need any help. I have almost 10 years in the field, and am Class-A certified by UGSPLM.

Ritmo2k

I use a Faro arm and Rhino. Works really well however it can be very time consuming on a detailed part and many assumptions need to be made. Also a high skill level required to collect useful data that will suit CAD modeling techniques. I have used Geomagic, Rapidform, Paraform and CopyCad but you really need a laser for these programs as they require high point densities to be able to capture the detail in the shape.