Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

So Cool

Mct010

In Class the other night, It was so cool to learn that you can take a 2d drawing and extrude the front and side views though each other to make a 3d solid with just a few clicks, never seen this in a book or training CDs, I wonder WHY NOT?

It just makes me wonder what other secrets are out there that not found in the books , hmmm

Well not to sound like an mean person but that is about the same thing with any solid modeler program. I create stuff like this all the time I can have as many as 300 things to create one soild going on. Another thing you can do with making that solid is also taking away from that soild with shapes. Another thing you can do it take and creat fillets on the edges and you can also make the varaible along the edge also. You can take a vertial line dramn in the front view and create a round part of any chain that is closed around that line as the center of rotation and create them as gegrees of a soild also. Welcome to soilds they are fun and though some think limited in Mastercam they are only limited in my mind by one's imagintaion.

Glad to see you are learning soemthing and hope you gain more everyday. I learn soemthing everday and been doing machine work for over 17 years.

cheers.gifcheers.gif

One piece of advice make you a note book from things you get off of here. I have picked up so much stuff here have about 100 pages of just tid bits I picked up off of here. I put soem of it in the text folder called Mastercam Help.

Mct010,

Here’s a method for creating a solid for a round part from a 2D drawing that is a favorite of mine:

take the 2D drawing of the round part, like a shoulder bolt, draw a center line through the part, and trim the lines that are the two ends of the piece and the center line to each other. Next select the chain that is formed by the outside contour (sometimes you have to trim lines to get what is just the edge, like when a groove is shown, all you want is the notch) and the center line, I usually change the color of all the entities that make up this contour and the center line and mask colors when selecting the chain. Revolve this chain around the center line and you have a solid model. wink.gif

To me drawing projects in solids is like playing a video game, just can’t let my boss know how much I like it. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

I am damned mad because my hard drive crashed and I lost all the tidbits that I had been saving from every thread that I had learned something new from and is now gone.... mad.giffrown.gifredface.gif I will suggest you make a folder as Millman suggested and add to it as you keep learning from all the generous minds.

(and...... keep a back-up somewhere else) wink.gif

Mct010, when you do this they're two solids, correct? But a quick boolean add and presto one solid - if that even matters.

I agree with millman, cadcam, etc. What they are implying is that MC's designing abilities are far more powerful than most realize, especially those who have not explored its powers.

A SolidWorks rep criticized MC's design package. I didn't say anything but thought, "and you have spent the required amount of time in MC to confirm this"? His designer demonstrating SolidWorks [the one who actually knew what he was talking about] said to me when his boss left the room, "MC's surfacing powers are awesome. Its an excellent software." And the more you use it, the more goodies you will find!