Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Mastercam X

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Madbub !

Being a p**ck I can say only this :

I did apologize in the other thread for saying that. Ill say it again if it make you happy. I am sorry for lashing out and calling you a xxxx. but if you want to keep hanging it over my head that is your perogative.

JIm

Bryan made a bitchen C-Hook for us to customize our v9 RMB menus. (The Right Mouse Button, when clicked in the Grafix area, gives a menu with only views on it)

Now we can customize them to what ever we like. Mine has most of the often used scripts I have, including all the rad posting scriptages.

Finaly found 5 mintues to sit down smile.gif

Btw I am smiling and not angry smile.gif Take what I write as debate and not defense please. I dont always write like I talk in person. More of a mechnical brain, And hated english class in school frown.gif wish I paid more attention now. I dont always relay in a upbeat way what I am trying to relay.

quote:

That seems funny to me Madbub. If you have an 8 axis machine and only do pocket work why have an 8 axis machine.

Well we do a part for consumers that before took 2 lathe operations, and 4 mill operations.

With a mazak multiplex 6100y We where able to do this part with no handling what so ever. Basicaly the machine is loaded with material, and nifty parts get spit out onto the nifty parts conveyor.

So we removed a crap load of labor by making this jump to a 8 axis lathe,

And we are able to run a bunch of other parts that could of just used a milling lathe, but we couldnt afford a 8 axis lathe, and a milling lathe. So we do alot of other parts mixed in also. Some parts have graphics, which we do just fine.

quote:

If you have hortizonal machines and only do holes and pockets again why even have a cam program could wrtie macros for all of it and could have saved the three seat if that is all you do.

Well that is not exactly what I said, I said 99% of the time parts can be broken into those 3 main ways of programming. A huge semiconductor chamber is only pocket drill contour to do the whole job. How many jobs in the real world have alot of intense 3d work? I do alot of 3d in reality. But most of the time surface finish parralllel will do the trick. I tend to stay sway from scallop since the crunch it does to our dnc system. Takes alot more lines of code to spit out a same program. And sometimes can actualy slow you down if you can not have a control to process fast enough or can not spoon feed fast enough. So most of our work linear parrallel works great.

Even if you could macro it all. It would be hard to write macros for flowing contours and such.

Here is some of my work. All designed and programmed in mcam8.1

my work 1

my work 2

my work 3

my work 4

my work 5

my work 6

quote:

Now if you are doing Multiaxis work and 3d machining alot more than you want to lead on then think you need to take Matt aka Rekd's advice and have a dealer show you what V9 can do head and shoulders above V8.

I always show up to the machining show in santa clara to pick craigs brain. See what is new, Last thing I saw that was new the kinda tipped me over to purchasing was the automatic edges, and steep 3d stuff. His add on pack for verifacation was very nice I will admit. But sometimes a growing place has to budget, and between a choice like buying a chip conveyor for the es-450 to remove some labor outweighs me needing to buy 9.0 or higher, Have to outweigh all aspects of a shop and labor savings.

quote:

The multiaxis toolpaths for doing 4th axis work alone kick V8 in the head as fas as I am concerned.

You are most likely right. I never asked craig at the time about 4th axis features for the new lathe.

quote:

I have to also agree that VB is a tool you are not using and I can see a 50% reduction in time on some things just using the scripts verse's the old method.

Again I dont know, and dont know what I can accomplish with the vb tools. So I will agree with you.

quote:

The ATP scripting that Mick is getting fine tuned woud ltkae alot of your 2d bring it and write toolpaths automatically from paramters you have set-up in minutes with only a few mouse clicks if all you are doing is 2d work.

This is one thing that really catches my ear. So yes I will be looking around at this to see how well it get implemented.

quote:

Again may be getting you by but you have no idea how good it is to have 6 sessions of Mastercam up and cruching toopaths on 2 and flipping between the others doing work and showing employees things about others that I can on the Xeon I got here. I am doing a Scallop toolpath cruch in one program doing a surface rough poeckt crunch in another doing modeling in yet another as I also type this response.

I do this now. I also have a dual 3.0 xeon. Buying mcam9 wont help me here :/

I constantly will write my 3d and process it on the other monitor while I do design work on the next monitor, while underlaying a verify. Pulling files up on the next.

quote:

You own your own business good for you but to say you are fine where you are and not need V9 then might need to open your eyes little bit and see what si out there.

I do keep my eyes, open and I have been waiting for the thing that says yes, you are falling behind, And this is why.

I mean if I was to buy every "upgrade" everyone wants to sell a machine shop. I would never be able to move forward in our shop. We would be inundated in bills trying to pay for all the new features. What is it 5k to upgrade and what now per month? It is alot of money and shouldnt be takin lightly, I have already paid 25k for 3 seats. Which is alot of money. And when I bought I knew what costs about to raise to the next level. Now that is all thrown out the door atm. I really can not stand this maintenence idea. Everyone wants to be a utility. And want monthly fees from you. It drives me nuts, Not just at work at home to.

quote:

BTW X so rocks that you will do alot of a favor if we are your competion by never going past V8.

Again havent seen it, have not heard about peoples problems implementing it. And you are assuming my limitations would be my software. Where as my strengths might be our fixturing, our setup people, or what not.

It still takes a good machinist to make the software good to. Cause a bad machinist who is a great programmer can make the software look bad.

quote:

Good luck and much repsect to your accomplishment but did you start the buisness to be the best at what you do or just able to get by. Do you only get junk to endmills to cut parts with or do you spedn that extra few dollars to get the good stuff that last 10 times longer.

Well I buy the good stuff, cause I have time studies that tell me I am saving so and so amount by running this many more parts with x brand.

I now buy the best machines I can afford, since it tells me now I will save time in the long run with our being down so much and refixing problems.

quote:

Mastercam toolpath cruches alone and others things you need if trying to expand your market share are what it gives you. I know you would not get alot of our work just in the fact you said 2D work is your bread and butter.

Crunch time is not really a factor, I crunch in the back ground. 2d crunching of regeneration, is like 5 seconds.

Btw I never said 2d work is our bread and butter. I said most work in most shops can be done with three toolpath functions in mastercam (pocket, drill,contour). And I can not see where not having version 9 is going to bankrupt me :/ I really doubt you are doing work 50 percent faster than I am because of version 9.

But hey I could be wrong, I just can not see it. If I am wrong please show me. So I can make a more informed decision.

Madbub, smile.gif

Nice post.

The ATP that you are interested in is done with (mostly) VBS. VBS gives you access to most functions of mastercam, from reading the geometry database and interacting with it to change/create/delete geometry, as well as allow you access to scripted toolpath functions, and just about anything else you can think of, including job setup info for setup sheets, even access to the FSO and other windows niceties.

If you look at my right mouse button menu, you'll see several of the scripts I've made (pilfered?), including the posting scripts, (1 click posting to as many different posts as you like, I do one for the machine and one for the access database for setup sheets), the archiving and quick save scripts, and a ton of others that I use all the time.

You should at least do a search for posts by mick that include VBS in them, you'll see some awsome stuff you can do.

'Rekd

I tip my hat to you sir for the most informed response. It was well thought out and appericated by me a guy who want to do the best job possible. I would also like to say good job on the work. We do about 95% 3d surface machining here and about 5% 2d work here. I have posted a little of my work but due to ND's can not show what I do but a few forum members have seen it and can vouche for my work.

I find parrelle to be an ok toolpath but Surface/finish/countor and Flowline rank up there in my book just as well. The 4th axis toolpaths I am talking about would be the key on your hortionzal machines if they are indexing type or 4th axis type. I use VB to do routine tasks and I am trying to teach it to myself now and yeah agreed it is something I think a majority would not know but if you do I can see some great possiblites for this great tool. The things I use it for are for Saving Keystrokes and Automating some functions to save time.

The dual Xeon is very good and shows you are looking to be good and says alot about the mindset you have. I agree 100% with this statement:

quote:

It still takes a good machinist to make the software good to. Cause a bad machinist who is a great programmer can make the software look bad.

I dont know where I would fall in there but I got over 17 years under my belt and have run alot of different machines an Seen guys try to take a 1" endmill and try to take a 6" depth of cut 1" wide because the screen would do it. I aplogize for trying to pick you apart and know all the well about the english problem 6 times before I passed college english which is the biggest reason I did not finish my engineering degree. We have had alot of fly by nighters come in here slamming fellow members to not be heard from again and well I like this place a good outlet for me.

I been through the school of hard knocks that kept trying to kick you and beat you down so that is the biggest reason I try to help as many as I can as a stick that where the sun don't shine to all of those who tried to hold me back or who thought and think it is wrong to help our fellow professionals. I will leave you with this note about V9 and your investment. If you only gained 5% in efficenty in one year that would be $6760 in gained profit for one machine. I also would not know about repeat work. I have not seen repeat work in about 3 years now so my mind set it very different that it was then doing dedicated set-up sheet formats, Numbered soft Jaws and tooling tray for jobs, and libaries of programs and folders where I kept time studies and others things. These things are were VB really shines and Matt aka Rekd has some pretty trick stuff and if I had more of a need for it would develope my own with VB. I will also say this atelast you do have a Cam software I have worked in placed doing 3d work and 4th axis complex work where I did it all long form. I could have upwards of 120 to 160 hours of uncharged time on job becuase the owner wanted us to do that job yet wondered why we did not make the money we should have.

One last thing the Chook Right Click Meun from my understanding works with V8 might give that a try and see if you like it and if it saves you time. Hope we talk again and hope to see you around.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

...Mastercam X is vaporware, i don't think it will ship before longhorn...

Dang... I though we could keep a secret better than that. guess we'll have to come up with something else to talk about. biggrin.giftongue.gif

That my frined is up to Mastercam and I think they will have a resounding no to that. I mean why would you want to give your competion the ability to steal your set-up before you release it and yes the competion come ot this forum all the time the biggest reason they will not let unregistered users into their web forum groups.

quote:

Mastercam X is vaporware

I've been a beta site since V7. I can assure

you its not. You can beleive that or not as you see fit.

If it seems like people have been talking about it forever its because they have. CNC Software Inc

has had a team working on X since the V7.