Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

resharpened ballnose and surfacing

Gouger

Ability to comp from posted code for a different ball nose cutter size is more of a control issue. Can your control do it? If so the correct codes could certainly be added to your post. I don't know if any controls can do this. My guess is that they cannot since the control is just reading positions and can't know which direction it should comp to without having the complete overview of the surface being cut, like the CAM system does.

I think you need to repost.

I realize that this doesn't answer your question (the other guys already have wink.gif ), but when you send your ballnose out for resharp, have them just sharpen the ball and leave the diameter alone. You'll lose a little flute length each time, but you can still finish with them. smile.gif

I hope your name isn't indicative of your programming skills. eek.gif Welcome to the forum, buddy. cheers.gif

Thad

+1 pooh

With the tolerances I am being required to hold now I would not even think of useing a resharpened cutter in a finishing operation. Not to mention when machining steel in the prehard and hardend state you have lost your coating. If you talk about recoating and endmills your cost have blossomed right back into the cost of a new one.

In my place to resharp mill up to 6-8 mm is not practical .

You can buy a new one for a price .

And bigger ball nose mills I use with inserts .

So I do not resharp them at all .

How to use and old weared tools :

to mill off broken drill ,for a roughing or give them to conventional machinists .

The broken tools I use for cutters making (I grind them mostly to a pyramide looking cutters (

4 or 6 sides )

Resharpened tool without coating worth nothing ,and coating must be very accurate and sharp and I do not believe that many shops can do it so good as Iscar or YG )

Ball mills with coating with good cutting conditions and creative approach to machining

tend to serve for so long that they justify a price many times .

For steel and coating ball mill I do not use water coolant ,only air ,and never take off more

then z step 0.1 diameter but I give reasonable big speed and feed .

If you drop feed down from recomendations in most cases you`ll gain nothing but a mill life will be too small .

My principle is feed is feed ,a mill must cut ,

better to less z take off if you are not sure but not the feed !

Teh cut dem all !

My main ball mills are 3 and 6 mm ,after that

I use inserts

As I said before here it is not reasonable to sharpen ball nose mills less then 8 mm .

So I use them till they last or till they good enough .

And I do not use resharpened ball mills at all and prefer to never use them .

To risky for my sort of work .

I use Seco MInimaster from 6 mm to 12 mm and Iscar ball mills for 16 and higher .

Minimaster has very enchanced closing device

Both are good and accurate

Iscar has minimaster clone multimaster

Bull nose mills that I use are Seco and Dijet

I like to surface with my bull nose mills ,they are very fast and accurate .

Dijet I use only on hardened steels ,it rocks ,Seco on both hardened and prehardened .

Many folks here use only Seco ,or only Iscar,both are good .

But I like Seco more .

I can give you details later ,if you wish .

HTH