Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

O/T Cleaning Alumium

jspangler

Is this in preparation for anodize or what is the desired final out-come of this cleaning? We do some prep for vacuum applications and normally use z warm Oakite bath and two warm deionized water rinses and then a bake-out.

You have asked a loaded question, the final result could require many different scenarios. How clean do you need these parts?

I am interested in what everyone else is doing for anodizing prep. I'm not sure it's my shop or if they are all this way but, it seems like the plater we deal with doesn't want to do crap for prep on parts and sometimes I get fingerprints and all sorts of garbage back from them and they are always telling us it's not their fault? Hopefully going to switch platers shortly but for now we're stuck with these yahoos.

Simple Green is not a good choice for aircraft grades of aluminum. The military has done plenty of research to show that it can catalyze hydrogen embrittlement and cause corrosion. It will eat an airframe...... Currently it is strictly prohibited for use on military airframes.

Makes sense since Simple Green is an alkaline, aqueous-based solution. If not thoroughly rinsed off, the small amounts remaining in crevices will cause corrosion. Aluminum is expecially sensitive to alkaline solutions - mild acids don't bother aluminum much.

John,

When I say that I have used the boraxo type of soap,

I don't mean that I fill a sink up with water and pour in the soap and make a bunch of suds.

Rather,I wet the part real good with warm water then put a 1/4 of handful in one of my hands,wet the powder a bit,and with my hand,rub the part vigirously.

This will make the part get that blackish color to the part and soap.

IMO,the blacker the better.

Then rinse very well.

Especially if you have small holes and stuff.

Try not to get your hand prints all over the pc. after.

As far as if this is safe for the mtl....

I have no idea.

Hth's wink.gif

Gary;

Thanks for the info. I think that Oakite is a base? Maybe we should reconsider our process? Maybe an acidic cleaner would be better?

Sounds like you have some experience with this can you get more specific? I for one am very interested in understanding what needs to happen to get clean parts and without having long term problems and hopefully with as little effort as possible. Maybe something that could be done in a dish-washer.

Thanks

Actually, the military has found that a mild detergent in warm water is the best all-around cleaner for aluminum. Also, you should not use abrasive cleaners like scouring powders, steel wool, or abrasive polishes - they have a bad habit of embedding in the aluminum surface and can even "kill" the anodizing bath (or so my local plater says). He prefers that I stick to the mild detergent and warm water routine since it doesn't cause him any cleaning or plating issues.

LUMINOX- A cleaning solution apparently got good marks - http://metal-cleaning.alconox.com/cleaning_aluminum.htm, but it was a bit pricey for the military needs.

The mil spec that applies is MIL-PRF-87937A, TYPE I - but all the products that you find won't do much better than good old mild dish washing detergent and water.

If you do have an aqueous cleaning system (tank, spray cabinet, etc.) work with your cleaning system manufacturer to point you to an aqueous cleaner/system that will meet all of your needs.

By the way - have you ever seen what happens to an aluminum block if they dunk it in the standard cleaning tank with the cast iron blocks? If they leave it in over the weekend - all you get back are the studs and freeze plugs.......the block is just sludge in the bottom of the tank. Saw that happen at a local engine rebuild shop here in the Springs. The owner of the engine block was a little tweaked. curse.gif

Was going to edit my previous post - oh well, guess I waited too long.

The biggest thing to keep in mind when cleaning aluminum (general cleaning - not cleaning in prep for anodizing) is that you want a neutral to slightly acid cleaning solution (pH of 6 to 7).

When you get into some of the stronger acids (pH 4 and up) you have a very limited dwell time and MUST follow the acid etch with a couple of rinse cycles. Depending on the process to follow, hydroflouric acid, hydrochloric acid, sulphuric acid, and phosphoric acids are often used - BUT ONLY as a preparation step for an anodizing or other chemical conversion coating process.

And - those acids can be quite hazardous....and hydroflouric should NEVER be used by someone who has not been thoroughly trained in its use and has all the proper equipment. It amazes me that you can actually buy hydroflouric acid on the open market - it is so very nasty.....