Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Need help downloading to milling machine

Farny

Hello, I'm a new guy and can't figure out how to get my 1989 cincinnati milacron sabre 750 with acramatic 850 to download from my computer. I hooked up the pc to the data serial port with a rs232 cable (is this the right cable?) and then tried to get the machine to load from the serial line but the machine just says error timed out. I'm frustrated bad. Mastercam says it is transferring data and has no errors or anything like that but I just can't get the machine to communicate with my pc. What am I doing wrong? What can I do to check that they are infact hooked together communications wise? please help all you guys here seem so smart after I have read hundreds of topics. I'm a green horn trying to learn how to run a cnc machining center and got tired of manually inputing data. thanks.

If I'm not mistaken you have to make a special cable with a couple wires inverted to talk to that one. See if you can find the pin config somewhere on the internet or from the manual if you have it or from where you bought the machine or maybe someone here has the pin chart?

I'm assuming you have all the settings right...format, port, baud rate, data bits, stop bits, parity....

I did check the settings before I tried to send. I just used mastercam to send it. When you post in the operations manager it has a check mark on the screeen that says send to machine. So this is what I did. I am getting some mixed up advice on the cable connections. I used a 25 pin to 9 pin serial adapter on the machine to go to a standard 9 pin

rs-232 serial cable that hooks to my computer. Will this work ? Does anyone know for sure 100 percent about the connection? When I tell it to send to the machine it says transmitting data and goes thru the routine but nothing on the machine end. It is weird to me because you have to tell the machine to get the file from the computer and you have to tell mastercam to send. Am I confused or what. Can anyone give me a little more attention and tell me more step by step what to do. What is the terminal emulation thing? thanks I greatly appreciate it. Jeremy

About the cable, cross pins 2 and 3 for communications but that doesnt sound like the problem. Check machine to be sure it is reading from the same internal port as your pc is sending from, most cnc's have 4 min. internal comm ports.

Besure baud rate and stop bits are correct.

Thanks everyone the wires did need to be crossed and a null modem adapter fixed that part of it but now I have different obstacles. Please help!! Now my machine has 2 errors when data is trying to be transferred. First it says "error parity" then I change the parity on both ends to none instead of even and it says "error Framing" what is framing and what is wrong with the parity they are supposed to be even on both ends. The errors are not consistent sometimes it says parity then reset the error and the next time it says framing and won't say parity again. Crazy these machines are. The post processor file config says 300 baud, 7, 2, even and what about handshaking? It doesn't specify that. none software or hardware? Thanks. guys. Jeremy

FARNY ,SENT YOUR FILES USING cIMCOEDIT !

It is not obsolete as Mastercam communicator ,that it seems you use and much more configurable

Also it has very vast help were you can read about handshaking and etc .

From what you wrote I think you have baud rate different on both sides and parity

Create in Cimcoedit new template for your machine ,set your setting ,try handshaking software + hardware ,set on both sides the same parity ,baud rate ,etc and try .

for hardware handshaking if your null modem cable has minimal set of wires not the full set you will not be able to achieve hardware handshaking ,but software will work .

Error parity check means that parity check had not passed successfuly ,that means or error in transmition due to the bad cabling or different baud rate or smthn else .

But parity check is a good thing to have .

It is not perfect but at least can catch some errors

It works as

Parity

An error checking method which indicates if a transmission was successful or not. The method can operate in different modes:

None. Is selected when no parity error checking is to be used.

Even parity. An even number of 1's in each character.

Odd parity. An odd number of 1's is used in each character.

Mark parity. The parity bit is always '1' and the line is 'low'.

Space parity. The parity is always '0' and the line is 'high'.

But you must aware that if say your computer got even value through check that does not means there were no errors ,but if the transmition had not passed succesfully parity check 100% there were mistakes .

You do not want to have a couple of blocks missed in your program ,right ?

The empasize is this :

Use Cimcoedit ,set your settings according to the machine side and try

And bring here update

Teh parity even

I downloaded cimedit and tried it and same thing. the mill pops up this error that says error parity. everytime. no matter what config. I use. I have done it over and over. I make sure that the baud, stop bits, parity, etc. are same on both end. I tried every config. possible and same scenario every time. what can it be. Do you think maybe I need a special cable. I looked in the panel where my cable plugs to and it is using several wires. Even a pin on like pin 20 is hooked up. How can you go from a 9 pin adapter and a 25 pin hookup and everything work. Please somebody help. Jeremy

hey pooh, I tried to send it the other way and same thing. I'm using the standard post processor file that come with mastercam for my machine. Can the post processor cause this kind of error if something in the program is not right for my machine? I'm about ready to throw this darn mill out the window because I'm so frustrated. yeh it sucks not having a manual and wanting to do something now. I'm trying to get one and cincinnati is not being very cooperative, they say they are having trouble getting one from england. anyway any other ideas?

The post can only change communications if you are using mastercam to communicate and you have told your config file to read the communication parameters from the post. (screen/configure/communications tab)

Unless you are sure you have the right cable, and you are sure you have the right settings (300 baud seems a little slow even for 1989)try this:

DNC settings

Port Number COM2 (or any free COM port)

Baud rate 2400

Data bits 8

Parity None

Stop bits 1

Handshake Hardware

I found this on the internet.

Farny,

I worked on a Sabre 750 with an Acramatic 850 at a past job. We used the DCDNC software to send programs into the controller memory which was limited in size as you must have found out. I used Mastercam communications as you are using to send longer programs by drip feeding the buffer, but there were some minor glitches with this method which can be worked around. I will look around if I still kept a copy on my settings info and I'll let you know. All I remember is the baud setting was 9600, which is pretty good. Hopefully I can find my settings info. I'll also see if I have a spare copy of the manuals laying around. Hope I can be of some help!

Phil

Sorry I didn't read all the postings.

Your not plugged into the 25 pin port on your PC are you? Common mistake. The 25 pin port is most likely the parallel port (for printers).

The rule is....

If you look at the back of your PC, Male connectors are Serial and Female connectors are Parallel. Some of the enw PC's dont even have serial ports any more. You have to buy a USN to Serial (9 pin) adapter.

Mike Mattera

Also ,+1000 to Jamman .

Set your parameters on machine side and create a custom template for your machine in Cimcoedit .

Now about a baud rate .

with baud rate 300 a humble program 100 Kbt

translation will last close to forever .

I use 4800 for my obsolete machine and 55600 for a new .

I would say that I bet your machine is capable of 4800 and most likely 9600 too

Farny,

Lucky you, I found my notes. These were my settings in Mastercam communications for sending DNC files:

Format: Ascii

Port: Com1

Baud: 9600

Parity: Even

Data: 7

Stop Bits: 2

Handshaking: Software

EOL Delay: 0.0

check- Echo Terminal Emulation

check- Display to screen

check-Read pst parameters

Acramatic control set-up:

Machine Setup>Dev Para (make sure it reads the following:)

Reader>9600/8/1/even/2/RS358/0/no/no

Punch>9600/8/1/even/1/RS358/120/no/no

Dataline>9600/8/1/none/2/RS358/0/no/no

Printer>9600/8/1/none/1/ASCII/0/no/yes

Proceedure:

In Control:

Prgram Management>Continous Line>Start

Then at PC:

Mastercam Communication settings as above> Send>Select File

Follow the above advice for proper cable config and you should be good to go!

HTH

Phil

o.k. now I'm pissed. I am about ready to kill this machine with my biggest sledge hammer. thanks guys for all the advice but I think there is something besides configurations wrong with my machine. I haven't tried the special cable yet Storkman turned me on to but it is getting ordered tomorrow. But cincinnati tech said a null modem should be all I need also and that is what I have. It is trying to talk but something else is up with it. ALl it will say is error parity. But the weirdest thing when I first turned it on today and set the baud and stuff and tried it, it said error format about 4 or 5 attempts and then started saying error parity again and parity is the only error I have received after about 100 more attempts. I have tried every possible configuration in the communications. I am so frustrated with this darned thing. Hey Phil what is RS358 that you have in the machine setup part of your post to me? My machine doesn't say that, my config is just a little different but very similar. You must have run a more updated machine than mine. And can anyone tell me what the punch is? It shares the port with the dataline port on my machine. Is that a punch card port? Well thanks fellows. JF

Hey Phil just going thru your post again with my machine and I didn't even notice the first time when I set these that you have mastercam setting at 7 and 2 and even with the mill machine set at 8 and 1 and none. Is this right? I don't know if I made both ends different I don't think I did. I will go try it shortly maybe this is it. I know the baud has to be the same but I don't know about data bits and stop bits and parity. I hope this it. Jeremy