Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Cutting Inconel info needed please

cadcam

Cutting speeds and feeds are in the following ranges: Drilling: Steady feed rates must be used to avoid work hardening due to dwelling of the drill on the metal. Rigid set-ups are essential with as short a stub drill as feasible. Heavy-duty, high-speed steel drills with a heavy web are recommended. Feeds vary from 0.0007 inch per rev. for holes of less than 1/16" diameter, 0.003 inch per rev. for 1/4" dia., to 0.010 inch per rev. for holes of 7/8"diameter. Slow surface speed, as 8-10 feet/minute, are best for drilling. Milling: To obtain good accuracy and a smooth finish it is essential to have rigid machines and fixtures and sharp cutting tools. High-speed steel cutters such as M-2 or M-10 work best with cutting speeds of 5 to 15 feet per minute and feed of 0.001"-0.004" per cutting tooth. Grinding: The alloy should be wet ground and aluminum oxide wheels or belts are preferred. From Fralex link.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

You gotta cut a chip though. .004 - .006

I've used Kennametal Kyon 2000 @800 SFM w/ a .005 CPT on that nasty stuff. The inserts are pricey but your cycle time gains are well worth the expense. Yeah I know, I know, those look like aluminum munbers but I was not a believer until I tried it myself on 718 @ 245 BHN

James,

I had a friend who got similar numbers some years back turning jet engine components. He was using some of the early "whisker-reinforced" stuff from Greenleaf (sp?). It's hard to believe until you really see it.

On the other end of the scale, I've seen 50" waspaloy rings being turned with C2 carbide, with the spindle literally barely turning and programmed insert indexes every half hour or so (LONG cycle times).

Stuff like this makes our kind of work interesting.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

...James, did you want to hit the estop the first time that Kyon got into the part?...

Lemme put it to you this way... biggrin.gif If I had a piece of coal in my back pocket, I could have given my wife a healthy diamond after that first pass. LOL!!! biggrin.gif

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

James, We had a Kennametal rep in a shop I used to work at one day while cutting the 718. He ran out to his car and came back with a Kyon 2000 insert. He gave us speeds and feeds and the programmer and I looked at each other like he was crazy. We even made him push cycle start. The @$$ hole pucker factor was way up there but it was awesome. I still keep an insert in my box just to see people shake their heads when they feel how light it is compared to carbide.

quote:

On the other end of the scale, I've seen 50" waspaloy rings being turned with C2 carbide, with the spindle literally barely turning and programmed insert indexes every half hour or so (LONG cycle times).

Stuff like this makes our kind of work interesting.

I worked there for a few summers while in school. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif (Upstate NY) Oh yeah, insert life left alot to be desired...especially cutting thourgh forging scale on that waspaloy.