Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Operation library frustration

Rory

In the mill package, 9.1 MR0304, I have saved operations to a library. All is ok with tools in library, I have looked at the library by going to "NC utils", "Def. ops", "Library". When there I have verified that the correct tool is associated with the correct operation.

When I go away from there and into the "Operations Manager" on a new part, I right click and pick "get from library". From there I pick the operations that I previously verified (verification again shows correct tools for operations).

After the "get from library" is complete, I notice that some but not all operations have the wrong tool associated with it.

When I go back into the "Library" through the "NC utils" path, I notice that the library has been changed to what I see in the operations manager.

Nothing I did directly overwrote the library, so how can it be getting changed?

Has anybody observed this problem?

If so how have you worked around it?

Rory

I've had this happen before also. About 2 years ago, I posted on this exact problem. I ended up chalking it up to being "one of those things." It seems that the file got corrupted somehow. I could open another file and all was fine, but any time I went back and opened that file, it was still jazzed up. headscratch.gif

Thad

I have over 600 operations in my library eek.gif . I compress it everytime that I make a change. Prior to that habit the tools that would be "replaced" would always be the same dia. tool that I needed, but the tool # along with the actual tool would change, usualy to the lowest # tool in the library. I don't realy have an answer for you, but it did work for me. Also you should consider compressing your tool library.

Thanks all for the help!

Maybe I'll start over building the library since there are only eight operations in there. I will blow the old one away first in case it is corrupt.

Once it is in place again, I will compress and see if that makes the difference.

Thanks,

Rory

Derek,

I use my ops library for about 98% of my programming. Save your ops with "common" paramters. Each time, you'll have to chain new geometry...not a big deal. As you use it more and more, you'll see how you can fine tune your library.

Check your mail. wink.gif

Thad

Derek,

After ruffing the pocket, I copy the op below it, change top of stock to the finish depth, uncheck depth cuts, make Z stock zero, add another .020 to my XY stock (just so I don't rub the wall), and regen it. This is my "finish bottom" program. I use 3 ops to mill a pocket...ruff, finish bottom, finish wall. Just select the op that has the tool size that you need.

In the comments, I add a 1,2,3, etc after the "PRG." That's how I keep them organized.

Another note...if I need to pick the corners after ruffing, I copy the op below it, change it to "remachining" (note most of my parameters are already set in there. I mainly rough with a 2" face mill), and regen. All the rest of the parameters are the same.

Thad

+1 to everything Thad said.

quote:

I see you all use ops mgr. any tips on how to use it efficiently?

It saves a lot of repetative work. I have all my pockets (with geometry for standard size cavities in mold bases), SHCS(drill, c'bore,chamfer), bore ops (drill, rough bore, finish bore), ejector pins by sizes, leader pins, tapped holes, even simple drill & chamfer. It saves a lot of time. I prefer to have 1 big operation library set in alphabetical order, that way I don't have to open/close different libraries so I could grab as much stuff out of it as I could in one shot. As simple as possible.

Thad, yeah I do most of the new product programming, and yes, we make very large indexable cutters, 12-24" dia, for processing lumber. On average we fill a very large dumpster full of steel chips once a week, pretty fun stuff. I havn't seen one yet, but the machines they install these heads on are nuts, 1000hp, and spinning a 3500lb cutter at 3500 rpm, they process a 20' log in under 3 seconds. I cant wait to see that. As far as the name thing goes, I've always been a little paranoid about putting my name out on the net idea.gif Have a good day all

Atp was put in mainly for router customers that are nesting parts. The cad packages they use order the geo by level/layer. Atp then will toolpath and nest hundreds of parts and post them out with a few clicks of the mouse.

If you were to use atp you would need to draw geometry on specific levels link to ops. I think the current atp script would be a little more work on your part. If you are drawing your own geo and using the same toolpaths then it could be a good time saver for you.