Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Trochoidal Machining

• 8 months later...

Does anyone have some typical cutter parameters for using this style of machining? I'm trying it for the first time as I type this. Iscar 3/4dia. with 3 inserts .300 depth of cut 3000 rpm 52 ipm. It seems to be working good. Any other suggestions that might be helpful? Thanks to whoever might have some more insight on this type of machining.

Mike,

Trochoidal machining is available on 2D pocket operations, using the High Speed Roughing method in V9. When the High Speed roughing is selected, the High Speed button below it becomes available. It will allow the user to change the size of the trochoidal loops as well as adjust for the material, to work in only areas of full-diameter cut, or throughout the entire pocket. Just one more reason to update to Version 9. HTH biggrin.gif

[ 04-30-2002, 01:15 PM: Message edited by: Peter Scott, Services 4 Automation ]

I'm all for it to be able to "trochoidally" slot a slot. Its a toolpath that I've programmed before by drawing the shaped of the centreline of the cutter, though its a real pain to do frown.gif

I've cut a slot in 60HRC steel before, with a 6mm endmill, producing a 9mm wide slot, 12mm deep. It sure was impressive, and quick smile.gif

Trochoidal Machining

One of the newer techniques to increase rough machining speed involves a tool path strategy called trochoidal machining. This machining style removes material using the side knife-edge of the cutting tool.

“Trochoid” describes a type of curve. A trochoid is the trace of a point fixed on a circle that rolls along a line. More generally, a trochoid is any curve that is the locus of a point fixed to a curve A, while A rolls on another curve B without slipping. (See illustration, below.)

Trochoidal machining is well suited to HSM because the cutting tool always moves along a curve of constant radius. This allows a consistent feed rate to be maintained throughout the machining process.

I've put an example of trochoidal machining on the FTP site. Its under MC8 Files, named Trochoidal.mc8.

This type of cutting is great to see in action, especially when cutting hard material. It produces nice even chip load. The only real drawback is having to produce the geometry to be able to toolpath it. This could be a good little c-hook add on smile.gif And I'd be willing to beta test it smile.gif

Anyway, let me know what you think smile.gif

I posted some parameters that I was using a few days ago on 4-29-02 before that nobody had posted on this thread in quite sometime. Maybe a tool rep has some guidelines for some particular cutters that can be posted or refered to. I am hoping someone posts some particulars as a guide for getting started with type of machining.

I'll see what I can find out. I used to be a tooling rep for Sandvik Coromant, and I have a couple of contacts who are up with the play overseas. I think we should keep trading notes on this one smile.gif

hehe...Two arcs, .1mm apart, with a another slightly larger arc bridging it. Then you translate that set the number of times required, at the distance required. All the arcs need to cross, and not share any endpoints. Otherwise you will go crazy chaining them smile.gif