Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Tutorial Books?

GreggT

Has anyone here read "Learning Mastercam Mill Step by Step.." By James Valentino and Joseph Goldenberg? If so would you recommend it? Amazon has it to 40.77 including S&H.

I am looking to go from zero masterCAM knowledge to what ever my brain can handle in as short a time as possible. I have done the tutorial that came with the disc and find I know just a little more than nothing. I need a more step by step best prcatice type tutroial to learn from and quickly.

TIA

Thanks for the links, now how about a dirrect recommendation of a particular title for getting up to speed on MC Mill level 1 w/ solids.

Honestly if the resources section ot emastercam published the tutorial that ships with MasterCAM I'm not real interested, because that tutorial that came twith the disc blows. Just my opinion.....

This forum is about the biggest and best book

your gonna find anywhere.

Do a search on just about any issue and you'll

find at least a couple of different answers and/or

ways of doing a given task.

All you'll get out of a book is some tutorials, much

like you found in the MC book.

The best learning tool is good old fashioned trial

and error. Just dive right in, you got lots of support

here.

PEACE biggrin.gif

Thanks Hardmill. I've been doing that, but I need some foundational instruction, to get me to the questions that should be asked of the forumn.

Here's an example. How the hell do you use CPlanes, Gviews, Tplanes, and the WCS? Where do I start and what is the best way to aproach this? I have been told by several people not to use the WCS???? I don't know jack yet, but it looks like to me that this is the tool that should be used to manage all of these. And yes I have done the tutorial from the ftp site that you wrote and it was a great help, but it assumes that I understand C&TPlanes and Gviews. I don't have any experience with MC or really with any other CAM software.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Gregg the link where Jay pointed you to are really good resources, as ar the tutorial books from the Resources link above on this page. Stay away frm the Scholar's Book from Lin and Shue. Those books are just this side of garbage. Lots of stuff that's been incorrect since Version 5. eek.gif Many of the demonstration parts you cannot create following their procedures. Really there should be few procedures because that does not teach "why" (good), only "how" (bad).

HTH

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

...How the hell do you use CPlanes, Gviews, Tplanes, and the WCS? Where do I start and what is the best way to aproach this? I have been told by several people not to use the WCS???? I don't know jack yet, but it looks like to me that this is the tool that should be used to manage all of these...

WCS establishes your BASE view. If you are going to be using a rotary table and/or doing 4-5 Axis Toolpaths then you want to remain in your base WCS just moving the Tool/Construction Planes about the Rotary Axes. T/C Planes are relative to the WCS and the WCS is relative to where the part lies in space.

When moving/selecting/creating new WCS's think of the Left Middle finger pointing right, Pointer Finger pointing away from you, and thumb pointing to the ceiling. You ALWAYS want to select the direction line you want X to pointing in FIRST. If your line points in the negative direction you may not get the direction you want. Next select the line that points in the Y+ Direction, if the line is pointing in the negative direction you may not get the direction you want either. You shoudl then get some markers indicating the directions you desire, if not, keep selecting "Next" until you get that you want.

HTH

James;

You know what I do. Just come out here on a ski trip and spend a few days with me wink.gif I'll buy you a couple of beers, how about a case?

Tim;

As for training from my resaler, let's see, Oh ya he told me not to use WCS functionality. How about no. I am looking at other sources for training though and will pursue them as they become available. In his defense, he's usually very helpfull when I call with a specific question.

Thanks gents

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

...James;

You know what I do. Just come out here on a ski trip and spend a few days with me...

I sooooooo wish, money's a little too tight to take a vacation these days... unless you're buying??? eek.gifbiggrin.giftongue.gif j/k

You close to Purgatory? headscratch.gifidea.gif

quote:

...Oh ya he told me not to use WCS functionality...

Dang.... that's messed up. I would be miserable without the WCS.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

...I'm sorry to hear that. WCS is a very strong feature and it is difficult to figure out at the beginning. But once you do life in the programming chair gets much easier and productive.

Good luck in your quest...

+1,000,000 on that one... cheers.gif

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

...Mastercam 9 by Lin and Shiue is really good, won't cover some stuff that changed with 9.1...

Lemme put it this way, by the time they publish the book, it is/will be OBSOLETE. They did not publish the V9 book until V9.1 was out, and there are some signifigant changes from V9 to V9.1.

JM2C