Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

re:teaching myself 3d wireframe in mcam

ev

Billy

that only works if ev has solids right. Learning to manipulate wireframe and applying surfaces is a well learned art for those who can't afford the solids key. I have the only solids key in

"the back" of the shop so guess whose puter gets cut in on when the surfaces won't work ?

quote:

Solid model your parts. Convert to wireframe on a different level. It's fast and easy,

What happens the day you need to create a surface??

I use them both daily, one does'nt always net the

results i want, so I can use the other.

learn the wireframe/surf creation, you'll be glad

you did in the long run.

PEACE biggrin.gif

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Learn the wireframe, it will make you a much better

well rounded programmer.

Don't scrimp, educate yourself properly.

Very good point but where did you learn complex 3d wireframe drafting?

It pays dividends to know both wireframe and solid. As Iskander stated, not everything can be constructed by solid modeling. Custom 3D contours are a prime example where you are not creating precise curves and solids requires definative numbers to work. You can learn wireframe in the surfacing section in Mastercam books. Learning the basics well first is essential.

sob7514613,

Welcome to the forum. Follow Degmc's advice however it will only work if the Solids module for Mcam has been activated on your sim. Are you using a student version of the software? You can check to see if you have Solids active by simply selecting the word Solids from the Main menu of Mcam. There will be a message on the screen if you don't have it. If you do, the Main menu will change to reflect that you can do many things with solids such as Extrude, Revolve, Sweep... HTH cheers.gif

ev,

Welcome also to you. Wireframe geometry is just as important as Solids. Learn all you can about all the types of geometry you can make with Mcam. I recommend the HLK (Home Learning Kit) from In House Solutions, the hosts of this website and forum. You can order this kit from the Books link at the top of this page, or from your Mcam reseller. biggrin.gif

Knowing the more in depths of mastercam is what makes me good at my job imho. I have been using mastercam since version 3.0. And in that time you make creative solutions to the problems of the past. But all to often an old problem will re occur, and with history I am able to pull off some cool moves. While the guys I am teaching never knew the certain function existed.

All to often I get complacent with certain tasks, And once in a while. I will go through the trees in mastercam. To practice all the functions of mcam.

Knowing solids is excelent, I can not live with out them personaly. But solids while knowing the more in depths of mastercam is straight on deadly.

I laugh when people come into mastercam and cry about not making a surface or what not, and promptly saying mastercam sucks. Since I can create some wicked geometry with mcam

Here is a example of my work.

All parts are created in mastercam. My buddy was kind enough to render it for me. I really wish mastercam had some cool features like rendering.

ripper.jpg