Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

3d Runner in Mold Cavity

g huns

It's amazing how something as simple as a runner can kick my butt. Maybe not quite as smart as I though headscratch.gif . Anyways I put a file in the MC9 folder on the ftp called runner.mc9 if any of yous are bored, have a look and let me know how you would cut the runner in this block. I don't really like how surface-contour does it or scallop either. It looks like flowline would be smooth, but that never does quite what I think it should do. Tried offsetting the edge curves to the runner center line and doing 3d countour but it cuts to deep in a couple of places. Those were my ideas any of yours would be welcomed. Thanks

I would try a surface-project-blend. You'd need 3 toolpaths to do it, since you'd want to stay perpendicular to the form. It would end up cutting like a parallel path. One would cut the area that runs off the part, the next would cut the longest part, and the last would cut the little leg.

Thad

g huns try this...

This finish strategy will work on any 3-d model and give very good results with minimal polish required.

after the roughing.......

Filter .001 use arcs in all 3.

use clearance and retract abs on all

Make a top surface and include it in drive surfaces.

Boundary on the edge, tool on.

Surface Finish Contour .005 step, no shallow, one way, depth (limits= inc .01,.01 important), optimize checked_no minimize, gap distance=1

ramp .25

Surface Finish Shallow .01 stepover, CCW, from 0 to 40 degrees slope, inside to outside, gap = distance 1.000, depth limits= abs -.01, -3.00,

3-d collapse.

Pencil climb......

This works and is Soooooooo easy smile.gif

Murlin,his runner is best to make using contour or project contour toolpath on surface or something similary simple ,cause it is actually a trace of ball mill rad 0.13 over slopped surfaces

I looked on his file yesterday .

I myself would have made simle contour toolpath with tool

height compensated to the center in this case .

Best regards

While not the very best strategy to use, the strategy I laid out will work on ANY 3-d model for finishing. It all depends on how accurate you intend to machine your model.

It will work every time without thinking about it and will give very good results with minimal polish.

quote:

trace of ball mill rad 0.13 over slopped surfaces

The overcut of contour over the shallow sloping surfaces will not happen because of the .01 depth limits set in the surface/finish/contour.

Setting depth limits will cause a slight error and leave wall stock but most of the molds I machine have 7 degrees draft or less. 7 degrees TAN x .005 is very small.....

In this cast the walls on the runner are around 15 degrees I think and will leave only .001 stock on the walls.

The 40 degree slope on shallow should take care of most of the extra stock left over by the .01 depth limits set in the contour.

After all it is a runner and the strategy I used is not for a no polish scenerio or trying to hold + or - .001.

The accurate no polish scenerio requires a strategy like you have laid out. cheers.gif

Merry New year Bro smile.gif

I would tend to agree with Murlin on this but you need to keep in mind what the purpose of the runner really is – the collection of volume has little to do with final finish and more to do with the indirect since it gets trimmed off in the process for a remelt anyways.

I also agree that there is more to this than meets the eye. Aluminum injection – don’t you just love it.

I would shoot the runner in 2-D and taper with a 15 Deg draft mill myself, but it's really up to you. smile.gif

cheers.gif

Regards, Jack

quote:

Murlin could ya send me or post on ftp a sample mc9

Murlinrunner.mc9 in the mc9 folder on the FTP.

Since it is a runner I left off the pencil...

quote:

Aluminum injection – don’t you just love it.

cheers.gif Possibly...I was thinking Zinc wink.gif Yer right though, gotta love those diecast molds......haven't built one of those in 20 years......

What kind of systems/settings are you guys running? I opened up ghuns' file, but when I go to Main Menu Toolpaths I never could get the Operations Manager to open. confused.gif

I'm running Windows2000 SP2, Pentium4 1.70Ghz and 512K RAM. Allocations are 130K database and 120K toolpaths with a Matrox Millenium G450 card.

Any ideas? Thanks.