Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

NTMA classes??

MCam Newbie

I am looking into taking a 16 week MAsterCam class at the Costa Mesa, Ca. NTMA facility, 2 nights a week. Trying to get the advanced class, looking for in-depth training. Is it a worthwhile endevour, meriting the investment of time required?

Anyone have any thoughts, or experiences to share with me?

(I am pretty new to MasterCam, but have programmed with another system for many years.)

Appreciative of any comments.

Paul

i took the begining Mastercam class at the NTMA in cerritos and it was very good. I was told by my instructor that the next level advanced is well worth taking as it really gets into Mastercam. I am scheduled to take the advanced class in march and can hardly wait.

I believe one or two of the fellas here teach the NTMA classes. Not sure what part of Cali they're in though.

I'd say it's definately worth it. I've heard nothing but good things about NTMA classes. College classes on the other hand, I haven't had a good MC experience with. But that's just one class at one school. The school I currenly attend for UG classes, I'm VERY happy with.

Thad

I am the Instructor for the North Hollywood NTMA

And am in the middle of a begenning class and a Advance class and starting another Advance class starting next tuesday. But the way there is openings in the new class for any one.

Just about every one that has taken my class has been really happy with what they come out with.

Give you lots of prject and cover alott of things along with alott that is not in the books.

I am long time user and still program for alott of people to this day.

I am also that same user CADCAM from this board.

When I saw Costa Mesa then read your profile and your interest's (Computers, machinery, HD motorcycles, Classic Rock & Women)I thought to myself "That sure sounds Like Paul(AKA Tripper)McDaniel. Take the class Paul. Take the most advanced course you can. I know you will pick up on Mastercam REAL quick with all your years of experience using another software. By the way you listed women last. I know you better than that.

I am an NTMA apprentice (machinist) graduate. I can't say enough about the respect thier name carries in the industry. I enjoyed and have been grateful for participating in thier program. 17 years later my only regret was never following up with and engineering degree.

Take advantage of the opportunity now!

Hey speaking of the NTMA I wanted to share what the Lead instructor for my division hand made for me.

vblocks.jpg

the case was hand made to look at the cork linning.

I asked Paul the instructor for a simple pair if possiable and he comes back with the nicest set I have seen in a long time.

thank Paul and thanks all for letting me share.

Hi guys,

I went and obtained the required paperwork, and gave it to my employers' Human Resources dept. Everything appears to be positive on that end.

I am going this morning to take a test at NTMA, Costa Mesa, in an attempt to get into the 16 week advanced class. Hopefully, my years of experience in machining and programming will facilitate my entry at that level, even though I am not yet a whiz with the MasterCam interface. I'll try and convince the test person that I will be able to keep up, and be up to speed after a few classes. I do have the advantage of bringing home the hardware key after work, and applying myself to improvement after work hours, and not only on work/class time.

Thanks for all the replies, they reinforce my decision to go for it. This site is really "the Kind"!

Yesterday, I even recieved a developed Post from a member, who also has a NV5000 maching center, that he says is very good, as a basis for me to start with, and he even mailed a copy to the individual who does the posts at my reseller. Talk about a helpful bunch, you guys are it! I have high hopes of becoming a resource for any and all who use this site, as I gain MasterCam knowledge, or read a posting I think I can offer help on.

A side note to EZ3Put ... I don't chase 'em hard as I used to. Their place on my list of interests is at least where I would like it to be.

Interest is still high, of course,

Just not the major driving force,

Why the change, you seek a source?

Must have been that fourth divorce!

Thanks to all for the replies!

Regards, Paul

M-cam when you sign up for the class ask the instructor if he does not offer to get the student apretence program for a small fee and get a full working seat of mastercam for timed perioad and more.

if for any reasion there is a problem with the instructor about this call me at the NH NTMA or your mastercam dealers office were I work.

M-cam when you sign up for the class ask the instructor if he does not offer to get the student apretence program for a small fee and get a full working seat of mastercam for timed perioad and more.

if for any reasion there is a problem with the instructor about this call me at the NH NTMA or your mastercam dealers office were I work.

Well, Gents,

I wasn't up to par to make the advanced class, so Monday I will arrange for the basic 16 week class. I did get to look in on a class in progess, a Saturday class, once a week instead of twice during the week, on their 6th saturay of 16 or 18. The things they were working on looked good to me. It appears that the NTMA training is thorough indeed, meticulously working through every feature.

So, I am not torqued I didn't have enough MAstercam under my belt to skip to advanced. It will benifit me to get the course(s) from the ground up, and as I will most likely work 'till the day I drop, I see it as a worthwhile investment of my time, and I will be a better, quicker programmer. The software, from what I have seen it do, certainly merrits whatever time one invests learning it. Hopefully, God willing, I'll get another 20 years or so of good health, and my goal is to become expert. Machine work has always been the one thing I excelled with, seldom does a job I process plan and program hit the floor that isn't on the money. Rarely.

It gives me a good deal of satisfaction hell, I like and get along with machinery better than I do people, generaly speaking.

CadCam, (Jay), thanks for the tip. I will be sure to inquire about the student companion disk, and will get in touch if it seems unavailable for some reason.

Guess I not quite as crisp of mind as I was 20 years ago, and the software is a lot more full featured than when I first got started with CAM.

Better stop now, if I go nostalgic, this will grow into a "mini-series"!

Just can't decide, Should I be humble in my arrogance, or arrogantly humble?

Maybe I'll just go drink beers, and be hung over instead!

[ 01-08-2005, 05:39 PM: Message edited by: M-Cam Newbie ]

m_cam,

quote:

Just can't decide, Should I be humble in my arrogance, or arrogantly humble?

How about confident and have that misunderstood by many as arrogance. biggrin.gif

Seriously this site and the people are an absolutely awesome resource for what I think is the best cad/cam product available. I like it so much that if everything goes the way I want, I'll be getting a seat of my own. cool.gif

I took Autocad classes at NTMA and they were great. I received my MC Basic Mill Certificate from CNC Software's Dave Moskey. He is a very good instructor. I would try and get some time in at home with the Sim as often as possible. I have been in machining 24 years now and still marvel at how it continues to evolve into something completely different than it was yet retain that intrigue that attracted me in the beginning. Welcome to the Forum and Good Luck with your classes.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

I always reccommed to everyone to take the Basic one first. Even though some may think it's a waste of time, it really is not. They go through the fundamentals of the interface the nuts and bolts of the stuff. Lay a good foundation, then later on take the advanced class and you'll excel.

quote:

...I have been in machining 24 years now and still marvel at how it continues to evolve into something completely different than it was yet retain that intrigue that attracted me in the beginning.

Though I have only been in the industry since 92, I am still intrigued by the whole process of taking a chunk of somehting and turning it into something usable and sellable. Amazing, absolutely amazing. And if you think about it, there is not a single item that any of us touched today that was not touched in some way by a metal worker of some sort. NOTHING biggrin.gif

James teh WE are THE most important trade in the world.

I've taken both begginer and advance MC there in costa mesa. All came out good and the boss even paid for my time there! The teachers are good the advance class is much more fun. But the basic is very needed to get thru the advance part of the solids. Mr. Buie [sic] is a great teacher and will help out when needed. But will not do the answer for you. Just lead you in the correct way.

just my two cents.

Ed

Absolute Techonologies, Inc.

quote:

Is it a worthwhile endevour, meriting the investment of time required?

Anyone have any thoughts, or experiences to share with me?

I used to have a boss that bought every self help tape there was to buy. I asked him once why he wasted so much money on these tapes. He said if I learn one thing I can use for the rest of my life from each tape, It was well worth the money..

The most wise saying I ever heard form any of my bosses smile.gif

Any how any knowledge is good knowledge.

Jim