Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Generic Post Processors in X

Paul Decelles

We're looking at adding some features (options) to the generic posts provided with X (MPFAN, MPROUTER, etc...). Common requests include block numbers only at tool changes (incrementing or matching the tool number), adding a rigid tapping cycle, cycle times, tool tables and limiting rotary output between 0-360 degrees for full rotary tables (when working in tool planes). Obviously, we cannot add every feature that everyone wants. Your input will allow us to create a (larger) list and prioritize the features we would like to add.

So, let us have it... What would you like to see added to these posts?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not only for surface machining but stk callouts for 2d millind also

like this. (came from my MPmaster)

T1 M06 (2 1/2 ISCAR ALUM FACE)

(TOOLPATH - CONTOUR)

(STK ON X,Y = 0.)

(STK ON Z = .03)

also an option for 4 axis index output of actual A,B position or forced B0 or A0. this has benn asked a few times on the forum and I also do it this way occasionally

A little off topic but I'd like to see a GUI post development tool that enables us to customize our post do do exactly what we want witin reason of course. There are a few 3rd party products out there that are doing this. One that I used for several years and resonably cheap. About $9k for network license. It would be nice to have everything under one roof so to speak.

Thanks for asking for input, Paul! yeah.gif

I have a Fadal trunion type 5 axis attachment (which is actually a 4-1/2 axis) for which my company had a custom post written years ago. Even with the custom post, I still do alot of manual editing of my NC programs which I want to eliminate.

I will most likely take the generic 5 axis post that comes with X and have someone customize it for my needs. I could probably do it myself, but it would take me forever to do and there would be no guarantee I would get what I want. Sometimes it's best just to let the pros do their thing and pay them for their finished product. biggrin.gif

If the generic 5 axis post is close to what I need and I only need to tweak it a bit, then I'll probably do that. It all depends on how close it is to what I need.

Looking from the front, I mount the 5 axis attachment on the right side of the CNC table with the A axis rotating about Z and the B axis rotating about the Y. The A axis has full 360 capability, but the B has only 90 degerees positive (CCW) travel, and only 5 degrees negative (CW) travel. If one of the generic posts is close to this setup, that would be great. wink.gif

Marc: The MPFan already does that.

General: I know CNC plans for a GUI. I've seen it (in prototype) It was nice. But if you want a GUI to do all your work, prepare to loose control of the final output. No GUI will ever give you the kind of control that the "language" does.

Paul: All the items you mentioned are very common requests from my customers. You have my vote for all of them. If you have a copy of my MPFANUCV9_3X MPFANUCV9_AX MPFANUCV9_BX, you'll find most of those already incorporated into the variables of the first page. Including the rigid tapping options. Ed Partlow must have one of my posts. Have a look at it. Those options in the standard release posts would be GREAT.

Mike Mattera

If the GUI post development tool is seriously considered and I do think this is a GREAT idea.

Please try to make it as user friendly as possible. UG's post builder has been a bear to learn so far.

JM2C

Ok, before this gets totally out of control, please try to limit posts in this thread to actually answering the question asked and not posting a hundred +1000!!'s. I like the feedback so far but I really don't want to have to page down through a hundred posts that have nothing to do with the topic.

Let me address the GUI issue (so we don't have another 50 people posting "YEAH GUI!"). Currently X includes a control definition interface. This is as close as you are going to see in terms of a GUI interface for a while. Basically, it exposes post settings in a graphic interface (i.e. - Arcs output as IJK or R's). It does not generate code for posts but it will allow the end user easier access to simple changes. I'm not saying we will never have some form of a GUI post generator, I'm just saying don't hold your breath. We're not about to limit the power of MP by bolting a graphic interface on top of it.

Jim - While this forum is a wonderful place to pick up tips and tricks and to learn about the product, it will never replace your local reseller in terms of support, especially when talking about 5-axis post issues. Your best bet is to talk to them about your machine, your current post, it's limitations and your desire to have a new post built off of a current generation post processor. They then have the ability to contact us and/or other resellers to see if a post is already available for you and to advise you as to development of a new post if it is needed (whether they do the work, we do the work or they have another reseller assist).

Tim - The new editor under development has the capability for "intellisense" similar to what you get in CodeWright or Visual Studios editor. Eventually (and I mean long term, not with X) we should be able to take advantage of this and add in functions and their parameters, etc... It will not automagically fix stuff for you but it should make things easier when creating a post.

Keep em coming guys! And PLEASE try to keep this thread on topic...

Thanks

-------------------------------------------

General: I know CNC plans for a GUI. I've seen it (in prototype) It was nice. But if you want a GUI to do all your work, prepare to loose control of the final output. No GUI will ever give you the kind of control that the "language" does.

--------------------------------------------

Sorry, I totaly disagree. With the GUI I used and it's asociated FIL file. FIL file being instructions running behind the GUI, I had 100% control over the output. I could litteraly put together a 5 Axis post (rough) in less than an hour from scratch. Then tweak and massage as I go.

If I needed a new post for a diferant 5 Axis I'd use the existing post and change the Table/Head or Head/Head or Table/Table configuration on the fly from the GUI. I think I may have saved one company over 50k in post development cost in the first year with the software. Of course I needed some tech support and they were great people to work with. www.austinnc.com

----------------------

Isn't the forum great

----------------------

Yes it is. I am addicted. I can't stay away. I need help ! And I can't use Instant gremlins any more. For some reason I get page not found. Maybe Big Brother is slowly putting on the clamps. Oh well !