Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Shifting to a different coordinate system [wcs]

Greets to the group! I'm sure this has been discussed before but....

Can I just do a 'global change' so that a bunch of operations get moved to a different coordinate system and then just post it and BAM everything (X,Y,Z,B..)jives? Seems pretty slam dunk to me and my boss thinks that 'high faluting' mastercam should be able to do it. I hate to admit that MCAM can't do that but I can't figure it out.

Some help here please..

Dan

Nope. The best way to do this is to plan for it from the start. There's a good WCS tutorial that explains how to create WCS' reletive to 2 lines representing X and Y on the FTP site.

Edit Random Parameters won't do it, you're looking at about 13 mouse-clicks PER OPERATION to achieve this. (Hope you don't have too many ops.. wink.gif )

Metal Flake,

Are they all moving from one coordinate to another ie: from the top to the front. You can do this with named construction/tool planes. You can the select an operation group and edit common parameters and set it to your new construction/tool plane. If you could send me an example of what it is you would like to do, maybe I could help.

Glenn

Editnci.dll will work. I do it all the time. Post your program to create you nci the use the nci editor to change any part of the program you like. Thinking more about it I use my misc intergers to control my wcs. this can be changed in editnci.dll I like to use this when i set two of the same parts up at the same time and am using G54 &G55.

Jack

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can the select an operation group and edit common parameters and set it to your new construction/tool plane

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have never had a problem when using tool/construction planes. I have never been very successful with the WCS. So I have just kept using what works for me.

JM2C

Glenn

I just dont understand when people old or new when dont know how to use something they say it doesn't work, everything you see in mastercam it works, one more time everything works if some people cant use it better to learn it first. you can move any operation where ever you want, take all or one or two, any to anywhere. give me a file, tell what you want I'll do it for you.

quote:

I just dont understand when people old or new when dont know how to use something they say it doesn't work

I do know how to use it, and I do know it works only randomly with WCS (if at all)... If you insist please send me your e-mail and I will gladly send you a sample file, but you could try it with any of your own files and you will get the same results as me and everybody else. I am on maintenance running MR0105 and it's still not fixed.

B747US,

With most common parameters (Depths, Clearance, Retract etc...) between several similar toolpaths, the "Edit Common Parameters" will work in V9. For some unexplained reason, it has difficulty with the WCS information. Rekd and robk wouldn't say something doesn't work if it does. The good news is, "Edit Common Parameters" does work in the next version of Mcam (X). HTH biggrin.gif

I noticed that if you try to change certain things using the change common parameters particularly tool planes and origins that if one is diefferent than the others that is when it seems to fault out. If I leave all of them how they default and they all match when I go to change common parameters (or random parameters if you will) it will work 100% of the time. But If they do not match look out, then it works like 1% of the time... sorry B747US

quote:

Robk and guys

well, you are telling me you want machine to match them up for you? match them up then everything will work, I never had any problem with WCS please some one introduce a problem, not a home work.

explain the problem in the E-mail if you would.

Not only:

quote:

I have tried edit common parameters many times to shift WCS. Mainly shifting a vertical job to rotary axis or over to the horizontal. Does not work. It is necessary to open each op and change tool plane/construction plane.

..but if you have an MI set for an operation, and edit random params including that operation, the MI is lost. (I use MI for inserting M00's at the beginning operation, and using edit random params on this operation will remove the value, removing the M00 in the program.)

There are other examples as well.

Metal Flake,

What if you save all your ops that you want to change to some bogus library (including saving the geometry), then "get from library" and make sure you are in the new (correct) WCS and have the box checked to assign the current WCS to your imported toolpaths. Then regen. Does that give you what you want?

Thad

quote:

Can I just do a 'global change' so that a bunch of operations get moved to a different coordinate system and then just post it and BAM everything (X,Y,Z,B..)jives?

When you say moving to a different coordinate system, are you referring to G55 G56 ect. or do you need to change toolplanes?

This thread has gone way OT, lots of complaints about "edit random parameters" nothing to do with the question IMHO. The edit common parameters works fine for me, again lets see some examples where it does not work. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding the issues they have with it or they are trying to use it for something it was not intended for.

Allan

quote:

again lets see some examples where it does not work.

Ok, Allen, stop me if you're read this... wink.gif

quote:

I have tried edit common parameters many times to shift WCS. Mainly shifting a vertical job to rotary axis or over to the horizontal. Does not work. It is necessary to open each op and change tool plane/construction plane.

...and...

quote:

if you have an MI set for an operation, and edit random params including that operation, the MI is lost. (I use MI for inserting M00's at the beginning operation, and using edit random params on this operation will remove the value, removing the M00 in the program.)

'Rekd teh Reading and Comprehension is key

Stop me if you can't comprehend

Sense make, no:

quote:

Vertical job to rotary? If your moving to horizontal from vertical the top should be the front. Xform, translate, between views. Or set up a new WCS view, but don't forget that X and Y are 90 deg to each other in those configurations.

quote:

quote:

if you have an MI set for an operation, and edit random params including that operation, the MI is lost. (I use MI for inserting M00's at the beginning operation, and using edit random params on this operation will remove the value, removing the M00 in the program.)

No kidding, edit common parameters will overide any MI that you had set in any of the operations you had selected....think about it. It did what you told it. It sounds like you want "edit random parameters" (only the parameters "Reed" wants changed)

If it is broken, what is the bug number? How many times have you submitted it?

quote:

Vertical job to rotary?

"Mainly shifting a vertical job to rotary", where "Mainly" is the key word. Try translating or rotating an existing WCS in the same XY view, you'll see what I mean.

quote:

No kidding, edit common parameters will overide any MI that you had set in any of the operations you had selected....think about it. It did what you told it. It sounds like you want "edit random parameters" (only the parameters "Reed" wants changed)

Wrong. rolleyes.gif

It should only change what I change. If I change the clearance height, and leave the rapid height alone, it won't change the rapid height will it? How about if I change the RPM? It WILL change the RPM. But if I only change a FEED and NOT and RPM, then the RPM will NOT change. Think about THAT.