Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Machining Rims

burns

I've taken on the job of machining 18"-20" chopper rims from billet aluminum. I plan on mounting a rotary table in the vertical position and running a surface parallel toolpath for 180 degrees then rotating the part. Were still working on ideas for the rim pattern and hub mount. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Well if you do not have the travel then use the rotarty but if I had the travel and was looking to make money doing them I would do it on the table. I always like ot make soemthing in one set-up ten moving it and trying ii get things to match. I would also have a disclaimer sign and kept of record for every one you make. If that rim fails and kills someone you could possible be liable. Ride at your own risk unless you have all fo the software to test the strength and faliure points then taken a risk unless they are someone else's deisgn and they take all responsiblity for the durability and saftey.

HTH

Don't know much about hubs on motorcycles so can't help you there other than to say... look at how the other guys out there are doing it.

Sounds like a fun project. You just making the center section of a 2 piece wheel or is this a 1 piece?

You guys don't happen to have a mill/turn machine in the shop do ya? wink.gif

I sure wish we did......

As for designs... hey, no limit to the imagination. If you spend too much time looking at what's out there you're just gonna come up with something that looks like something else.

Have fun,

Chuck

If the EM in the drill chuck was on OCC, they're the knuckleheads that stare into the waterjet while it's running without the guard down. I've never been around a waterjet, but something tells me that doesn't seem to smart to do. headscratch.gif

burns do a search because I am pretty sure this topic has come up and someone posted a link...

quote:

If you are really sweating the liability, simply make one, and have sent out for rotary, radial, and impact testing.

Yes that would be the way to go if you were designing a wheel that would be used over and over.

Problem is, most of these guys that are building these custom choppers are building one of a kind bikes.

I would be willing to bet, none of these guys rims has gone through anything but computer simulated stress tests, if that....

It costs too much and takes too much time to have many "do overs"......

They just prol use a standard rule of thumb on how many spokes and how thick they need to be. But when you start doing funky shapes with the spokes..... headscratch.gif

These guys are more confident than I am. We use a general rule of thumb as well. I guess I'm not as smart becuase we still fail ~ 30% of the time. This is with 20 years experience, and 20 million wheels (literally). I understand that most of the "one offs" don't test or run FEA (which isn't that expensive if you buy the software, strength wizard or something like it), but I wouldn't over complicate the process (or expense) of doing testing either. I also understand that it is a different market, and these bikes will see limited miles, so it probably isn't that big of a deal. But, Firestone wasn't that concerned either, FireWho?

You are correct, and that is contingent upon the customer. The Japanese standard is referred to as JAPMA. You are also correct on the environmental testing, although it isn't quite as canned as the fatigue testing. Different customers require different things. All OEMs require environmental testing, which varies in definition, i.e. Salt Spray, (Filiform), pot hole, etc.

Gail