Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Man Needs Help

mrainey

This plea for help showed up in my Inbox today - can somebody give him a hand?

25-April-2005, Hyderabad city, INDIA.

Mr. Michael Rainey,

(1) Nice to know about you, through my google-search.

(2) I am a graduate Mechanical Engineer, 35-years of age. I have been into solid-modeling and overall project ececution of mech engg.

(3) CNC was one of my subjects in college, during 1990-91.

(4) From the past several years, I have been struggling to understand MasterCam, but have never been able to achieve success.

(5) Lots of in-built help, context sensitive help, etc, is indeed available in MasterCam. Even then, there is a lot of difference between all those theoretical explanations, and practical implementations, tips-&-tricks.

(6) Hitherto, many privately published training books too are available. But, everyone of these books merely describe some terminologies, commands. How I wish there would be one book, which I can keep next to me while operating Mastercam, and then learn/practise Mastercam. In other words, the author of that book must first take up a practical example, then instruct us how to use the vaious commands in Mastercam, and, at relevant/appropriate situations, some theory may be relevantly explained.

(7) Maximum number of practical examples, practicable numerical values to be entered, etc, should be included. What happens when we select inappropriate options/values ...... also must be highlighted.

(8) This is, in brief, my need of the hour.

(9) Kindly take some time off, and try to help me the best you can.

(10) Any other suggestions from your side shall be thankfully welcome.

Awaiting your kind response.

Thanks.

Deepak . R

GE Infrastructure - India Technology Center,

Senior Engineer,

T +91 40 5000-6176

F +91 40 5000-4044 / 8*613-4044

D 8*613-6176

E [email protected]

#06 and #04-03, Unit-3, Block-1,

Cyber Pearl, HITEC City,

Madhapur,

HYDERABAD city – 500 081,

Andhra Pradesh, INDIA.

GE Power Controls India Private Limited

Hi Mike,

I'd suggest an apprentice job at a machine shop for starters. Not knowing the basics of general machining practices , the capabilities of each machine , and some hands on experience would make it pretty difficult to program anything ( IMO ).

Then give him the link to the forum wink.gif .

cheers.gif

The User is in india?

He's prolly sent that e-mail to a number of names he found over the web

+1 to google, always helpful...

Here at Eastech we use the manuals marketed by the third party co. In-House solutions.

I've been teaching with them myself for six months now and for 9.1 users I think it's a pretty good start.

The assumption is correct, though, that a non-machinist would probably have trouble understanding mastercam from the start. Especially a 3-d cad engineer.

NuNu gives a good recommendation. However, If that's not available, the in-house manuals seem to do pretty well, even if you don't know what an end -mill is.

He lacks basic CNC knowledge and machining in general ,without it nothing would help him .

No chances.

Mastercam is so simple to learn when you know what you want to accomplish .

His first step must be basic machining course ,JMHO

~~~~~~~~~~~~

(2) I am a graduate Mechanical Engineer, 35-years of age. I have been into solid-modeling and overall project ececution of mech engg.

(3) CNC was one of my subjects in college, during 1990-91.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Well ,what remnants of machining knowledge does this guy have ,if any ?