Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

mastercam draft....

biss03

Can anyone tell me if draft runs without the dongle or has it done it in the past? i'm using v8 now and it seems like when we first purchased mastercam (around v5 i think) it would work without the dongle.

i'd like to be able to work on design stuff at home without having to bring home the dongle and remember to bring it back the next morning. i usually drive to work and then wake up so remembering anything in the morning is tough! biggrin.gif

BISS, it works without the dongle and I may add it works well. You are limited to just wireframe and no surf or solids generation. You can however read in and verify surf and solids files or move enities, you just can't manipulate them.

It's well worth the money even in house if you have detailers in house that's if that's all they do.

Rekd, Mastercam draft is like the lite version or a glorified viewer. Not to upset anybody but the price of it has been discussed in this forum before and was in the range of what I paid for it up here.

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

it works without the dongle and I may add it works well

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just my sick humor dude, Draft does not need a dongle.

Check with your local reseller, it's really a great tool next to the demo for showing parts or viewing them with the added function of being able to draft (with the limits stated above).

Draft is only available for Mastercam Version 9.0, after working with the mouse zoom wheel in 9.1 then going back to 9.0 sucks.

Draft is a great tool, no dongle needed, you can draw and save all types of wireframe geometry, it has problems with splines, no creating surfaces. but you can bring in surface files to analyze for quoting, reads MC9,IGES,etc. it communicates to CNCs (DNC).

Ernie

We have a seat of Draft (no dongle required) also. It doesn't run chooks either. It's good for viewing/analyzing, as others have said. I believe it has all wireframe/surface creation capabilitites, but solids with Draft are extra. Without getting into specifics, Draft without solids costs about 1/10 of Draft with solids.

biss, since there is no dongle, my guess is that installing it at home would be against the EULA.

Thad

quote:

I believe it has all wireframe/surface creation capabilitites, but solids with Draft are extra. Without getting into specifics, Draft without solids costs about 1/10 of Draft with solids.

You cannot create surfaces or solids with Draft, only wirframe and drafting. You can't run Chooks or addon Solids for Draft.

I think you meant 1/10 of Design without solids.

Ernie

So every one knows draft Does not need a dongle Most statments about what it can do are correct except that you can get Mastercam draft 9.1 mr304 is the latest release.

Has alott of file converters like the Iges and will let you view fully shaded surfaced files.

Draft with solids would be Design with Solids as there are no extra options for draft at this time.

thad,

why would that be against the eula if it doesn't require a dongle? if someone were to want to buy just a copy of draft - say a student taking a course at a local college, for the purpose of practicing at home they wouldn't get a dongle with it correct? i realize that it would be real practical for me to use it at home knowing what it is capable of other then for maybe creating some 2D tool prints.

can anyone else speak to the legality of this? i certainly don't want to do anything illegal.

I bought draft for my personal use at home. When I was in between jobs a couple of years ago that's exactly what I did with it was design with it. I even did a few mold layouts, with all the free downloads for mold bases and depending on the customers needs it worked real well for me. All the 3-d stuff came to me prepared, all I had to do was layout and dimension components.

Like I said above, for the money it's a great tool just to have at home for play or whatever.

Hoping greatly that X comes with one also, I've heard it may and it may not.

PLEASE PLEASE CONTINUE TO SUPPORT IT CNC!

Thanks

Brad

We have four seats of draft. The machinists use them to draw geometry and find points.

My understanding of the Draft EULA is that having the disc in hand is the license. So we have purchased four discs to fulfill legal requirements.

Maybe the dealers who sell Draft can clarify this further.

+1000 to Ernie, if they could come up with something that would allow the parts or prints to be saved as a viewing file that would be awesom.

Solidworks e-files really spoil you and your customers with the versitility, power and functionality of it.

Maybe with X........

quote:

why would that be against the eula if it doesn't require a dongle?

biss,

I was under the impression from your first post that your company bought it and you want to take it home and use it. That would be similar to buying one copy and then installing it on multiple computers in the shop/home. I think you're only licensed to use it on one computer. While I installed our seat of Draft, I didn't read the EULA. eek.gif

If I misunderstood your first post and you wanted to buy a seat for your home, then there is no problem. smile.gif

BTW, what is that in your sig? headscratch.gif

Thad teh 2 cents