Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

fadal mill help

rex miller

Not being in the shop right now I can't verify it but I believe our cabinets have air hole vents around the bottom of the cabinet. Nothing fancy just some rectancular slots in the sheet metal.

Are you running an older 4020 with a 10k RPM spindle? They were notorious for overheating if consistantly run at the max spindle RPM.

Rex

We had to use an "elastic retention device" (read rubberband)on the X-Y-Z boards as they would vibrate loose when doing aggressive milling.

Don't remember the over heating thing, but it wouldn't surprise me.

I guess I would look at adding a fan or, like you said some vents to outside in the cabinet door or side panel.

quote:

Does anybody have problems with the cards

( x,y,z cards ) having to reseat them all the time.

On our machines, there is a metal "strap" that keeps them all plugged in. The memory has vibrated loose before because it plugs into the side of one of the boards that is strapped in. When the memory comes loose, it gets reported wrong when entering the ME command. The recommended memory fix is to zip tie the board in place.

I think we have 2 fans in that cabinet with wire "grilled" vent holes.

Thad

We have a 4020 with 10k spindle. Cabinets vented and haven't had any problems with over heating in the 4 yrs I've been here. I've had a bunch of other stuff go wrong (chiller, board came loose, tool changer, z-axis motor, .....well you get the idea). If our budget was bigger, I'd be looking at other machines.

Al

P.S Anybody want to start a thread on whats the best 3-axis machine for surface machining? smile.gif

No overheating problems here either. I have 2 Fadal 4020's that are mostly problem free. Does yours have a chiller Rex, and if so, is it working properly?

Mine both have the metal strap as Thad described and that seems to hold them in pretty tight. In fact, the service tech once had a heck of a time getting one out! We did have a control wire vibrate loose from a board once and the spindle wouldn't turn, but that was an easy fix with a crimping tool. wink.gif

If nothing else seems to work you may need to resort to adding some vents and possibly rigging some kind of exhaust fan to draw the hot air out.