Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Holes in 58-62RC A-2

M. Anderson

I am in need of advice! headscratch.gif

Looks like we are getting a job that has around a total of 6000 holes in 18 parts. cuckoo.gif

The holes are different sizes - .043, .078, and .110, and are down in a .350 deep slot and will go on thru another .465 of material.

There is a requirement of a #8 finish inside the holes.

The material is A-2, it will be hardened to 58-62RC. Positional accuracy is not a real concern +/- .005, neither is hole size +.003/-.002

I have come up with:

1. Drill start holes, HT and then Wire EDM the holes?

2. Drill holes, Ream holes and after HT polish? (someway??) bonk.gif

3. Drill holes - HT - Ream? eek.gif (If it would even work?)

4. ???????

What would be a way to do this just using a mill is really what I am after? I am looking for a alternative to #1 - as I will have to farm out the wire edm part - ours is currently having major problems! curse.gif

Any suggestions???

Any?

Thanks,

Mark

Wire would be easy, however getting that finish in a WEDM might take some, depending on how accurate it is going to be checked. You can have 500 holes that are 6 and 5500 there are 10, using the same settings on your WEDM, AND just because your WEDM settings are telling you that you can get a 6 finish, well from experince that is not allways the case, sadly most newer WEDM machines do not have controled spark gab, because of demands of speed.

Just my 2 cents

Lars

What type of heat treat are you going to use?

I ask because we have used dynablue in the past (i think thats the name) and it doesnt seem to affect the finish at all.

you would want to try and finish B4 H.T. if you can for sure.

6000 holes is alot of wire edm time!

eek.gif

Is plunge edm an option after ht?

what kind of finish does that leave?

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

With that size and that material hardness, EDM seems like the logical choice, except, have you looked at Ceramic Drills from Guhring??? I've cut Rc 48 with them and they gave a reamed finish, but for getting that finish for sure... headscratch.gif "Extrude Hone" seems like the easiest way to treat those holes. That will get you where you want to be I believe. Roller burnishing works great but I've never seen holes that small get burnished.

HTH

OK here is my .02

Since its A-2, and you have some play in the hole size and location, I would finish before HT as A-2 is very stable and as long as you do a little calculating, dependig on total length of part, you should be able to easily get hole within the tolerance.

6,000 holes....I would make up test block and compare various processes..and not get trapped. I have seen some amazingly good finishes with LATE model wire EDM,and if that finish is not quite good emough, maybe try lapping with DIAMOND compound from like J & L or MSC,etc. Sometimes with reamers you can have some "rings" to polish out...(I have hand polished out tapered sprue gates by hand) Do NOT trap yourself with 6,000 holes and a bad process. my 2 cents worth..test,test,test

WOW!

Guy's - thanks for all the thoughts and suggestions. cheers.gif

After doing some talking with the customer today, they have agreed to some testing for this part, (kevangle), for me, it will be - LOTS OF IT!!!

Based on what I have got for some of the cycle times, WEDM is going to be out ($ cost) even if it would get the finish needed which is doubtful at best anyway, they seem to want a shine on the bores!?! eek.gif

We all came up with the fact that the parts need to be finished, and the holes as smooth as possible before HT (reamed?)-DUH!!- so we all came to the conclusion for the testing of lapping the holes after HT, with some custom made laps. This is supposedly the process used on the last design of this part when it was in prototype (if you believe the Un-ga-nur). They made the last parts in house at one of their overseas divisions (England I think?), which is now sold off from this group.

Going to check into the HT of this, for the finish aspect – thanks, Jeff!

We also came up with the Extrude Hone process as a possibility, (James), for backup if this doesn’t work out.

I am not real concerned about the larger of the holes – but all those .043 holes – man them are EF'N little!!!!

Steve, if you come up with anything – E-mail me.

TO ALL: cheers.gif

Thanks for your suggestions and if you come up with anything else – E-mail me or post it here!

Thanks,

Mark

quote:

On the WEDM you would probely have 150 to 200 hours just cutting and threading the wire.

Lars, I was thinking along those lines also. I don't even want to do anything that feels good for 200 hours! biggrin.gif

Thad