Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Wanted: Top Notch Programmer

Code_Breaker

quote:

Job market is tough for employers right now

I don't know about that, at least in this area, north of Boston. Everybody says that they want someone good and then they throw around what amounts to operator pay and act like they are doing you a favor.

I may be stuck where I am at unless I want to take less money but I just don't know about that. It would have to be one hell of an opportunity but I'm always looking.

Good luck in your hunt gents.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

..Everybody says that they want someone good and then they throw around what amounts to operator pay and act like they are doing you a favor.

That's when you laugh and tell them keep looking. Most places want to pay the least and get the most. The problem is they are pennywise and dollar stupid. So many employers fail to see the value in a top notch person. I call it the "Fadal Syndrome". Yea lesser will get the job done, but a what cost? Time, money, downtime, etc...

quote:

"Fadal Syndrome"

According to Websters Machine Shop lingo thesaurus

"Fadal Syndrome" The desire to own the whole enchilada, while only outlaying the cost of the burrito.

quote:

So how much should a top notch programmer make

as much as he/she can get biggrin.gif

I made over 6 figures last year for the first time and have 24 years in the trade.

I would like to make that much this year but already know its not gonna happen. Really comes down to what the market will bear. That and how desperate the owners become to see $ start rolling in again.

quote:

Juan,

Yo mato el chango a palos.

You're gonna do what, to who with a stick?

And I thought my spanish was butchered

Must have gotten lost in translation

cheers.gif

DaveR

I agree with the as much as he/she can. In this area it is not uncommon to earn 65-75k averaging around 45 -50 hrs a week.

You can earn more if you work more.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

I would say a top person should be bringing in $100k plus per year and not having to work 50+ hours a week to get it.

That's just my opinion.

quote:

"Fadal Syndrome"...The desire to own the whole enchilada, while only outlaying the cost of the burrito...

biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

I like that. That's exactly it. Of course I could have have picked other names but none would have been as fun biggrin.giftongue.gif

• 4 weeks later...

Good Day,

6 figures...how much overtime??

Tony G

CNCiT Precision Machine - Hudson,NH

X Beta Site

Almost Employed Senior Programmer

N.E Massachusetts - Southern New Hampshire

End mills and tooling are like The "AMMO"

And coolant and chips are like the enemy

Under your boots as you advance in the

Manufacturing Battle

HEY!!! I may be driving and owning a Dodge Dart (read FADAL) but it gets me to work and pays some of the extra bills!! biggrin.gif

Maybe someday I might get a Cadillac (Mori)....

Sorry, but California is not in my future and I am already at about that salary level in my day job. That IS a nice part of the country though!

quote:

I would say a top person should be bringing in $100k plus per year and not having to work 50+ hours a week to get it.

That's just my opinion.

James, are you suggesting that a "top" Mastercam programmer can make $50.00 an hour? If so I may have to move back to Calif. because I haven't seen anything in that range here in Michigan. I have made 6 figures in a year, but there was quite a bit of overtime involved.