Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

O/T EDM RUST

RAJ

I use Checkmate from Electrodes Inc.. This stuff protects my parts and fixtures very well, and I get about 500 hours out of a resin bag. Water quality going into your tank has alot to do with the logevity of your resin. Along that note. When you do an intial filling the rust preventative will shock you resin and you will have to replace it. After that it works very well. I add about 4 ounces per month to my machine to maintain the concentration based off of water I add. I usually start off with a cleaned holding tank, and 1 gallon of checkmate to approximately 200 gallons of water.

I clean my parts after edm'ing with Xylomate. No glassbeading required. It instantly oxidizes the surface of the part and makes them look real pretty. You must rinse it well and oil them afterwards.

A couple years ago EDM Today magazine did a study with mold manufaturer Tech Mold in AZ. They tried many methods from rust inhibitors to nickel plate with stripping them after the work was done. They discovered that magnetism was the problem. It seems is the level was reduced to a acceptable the steel will not rust. I tried this myself had decent results but I had no way to measure the levels. You most likely get a reprint from EDM Today.