Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Coolant

coolant wear out a machine??? That's a new one. Tell him his voice wears out your ears.

We use Blaser 4000, and I swear by it. I've used some cimcool products and hav'nt seen anything work nearly as well as a Blaser product.

The 4000 is a bit overkill for aluminum, but I feel it does minimize galling/smearing when running surface toolpaths on aluminum.

I'm certinaly no coolant expert (and no salesman either), just m2c.

quote:

I had heard some coolants (mainly all synthetic) can devour the plastic and rubber products-seals, electric cables,chip wipers etc.

This is exactly true!

My company has been using the Castrol Synthetic coolant for a long time and we have had many problems in the past.Switches sticking,seals rotting out,we even have problems with any aluminum fixture that is bolted to steel and ran in the machine for a period of time.

It is like an electrolisis effect happens ans it yes, Rots out the aluminum!

I would not suggest using synthetic coolant at all.

Good side of it,it never stinks! cheers.gif

Here is an example of aluminum fixture.

Notice the white powdery substance that used to be alum......

MVC-00221S.jpg

[ 07-18-2005, 06:06 AM: Message edited by: Brendan P ]

We've used VNT-800 for about 5 years and Valcool Turn-Tech for years before that. Tell the guy he's full of sh!t.

I also suggest doing a Forum search for 'coolant' because we've had a couple of really informative threads about this subject over the past couple of years.

C

I like the blaser. and yes you might have a problem with it chewing paint off and wilting rubber, but there is a solution. no not liquid, a refractometer.

run concentrations to suit need at time of use. I would recommend 3-5% normally. For more intense situations I'd say 7.5-14%, but be prepared to break the rules and add water to the mix to bring it back down to save the paint job.

I noticed over the last 2-3 years that when it comes to coolants nobody here seems to be using DuBois 2050 AC.

It's quite expensive, but the best coolant by far that we've ever used (oil based).

No rust and skin problems at all. The best part is we clean tanks only every 18-24 months.

Mark

I ran Blaser 2000 from 1985 to 2001 and never had a problem with paint. We only switched to Hangsterfers 500 because we moved and have a local distributer. Both products seem to be very simular and still no paint problems. We don't machine much in the way of tough materials or much stainless but both coolents work very well on alum, copper, and steel.

Gary,

The only time you would have problems

is if you consistantly run a high concentration

of coolant. I have had to add water to it since dispite their claims of the tritation, water evaporates quickly under use. Good stuff though.

In fact, I prefer it.

You should definitly stop using Valenite-VNT-700.

Even when you the the right blend ratio on the refractor meter, this collent will rust your machine from the inside out.

I say this from my own personal experience. I was able to prevent further damage to my machines by switching to Blaser 2000. This coolant has worked the best for me in every sense.

I ran blazer for years, it left a slim in tank and on machine, switched to hangsterfers and it removed slime from tank and left it on machine. switched to trim e-206 and have no slime anywhere, clean and shiny cnc. coolant has been in cnc for 3 years with just make up. wouldn't switch for anything.

I use BlasoCut 2000LF. Sswitched from simi-synth about 2 years ago. I had all kinds of tapping problems in aluminum and salesmen would tell me it was the coolant. I thought they just wanted to sell me coolant. I never believed them until I switched, mainly due to cost of coolant and freight. Running 10% but could go a little lower.

I should add with the Maxim VHP apparently in the 6 years we've had our Fadal the coolant has only been totally changed out once. No smell, no corrosion (provided its kept at the right mix), no slime, no skin irritation.

Like Gary though defin gotta keep adding water to keep it at the right mix with the CO atmosphere.