Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

surface finish contour question

Trapper Paul

You can force retract down by changing from stepover percentage to an actual value. You can sometime get rid of check surfaces and use boundaries or vice versa. I tend to play with a few things when I see a constant z jumping up and dowm. You can also optimize the toolpath. You can change to ramp step down. The first thing I would look at is the actual geometry you are using for the toolpath. Can you put the file on the FTP and I will take a look at it?

I agree Murlin! WOW

Thanks Heavy Metal, " step over to actual value" I'm not sure how to do that one.

Thad, thanks I do use the zig zag, I also tried one way, still the same results.

Trevor, I'll have to try that loop idea but for now I need to just get these electrodes done.

Back to my topic, nothing so far seems to work, at least easily or noticibly! (sorry about the spelling). Hear is even a worst one surface finish left-over. The cutter continuely jumps up and down. Maybe its just something I have to live with (with mastercam) but it seems to me it should just stay in the cut.

thanks all.

carriopaul-

If your surface-finish-contour is only jumping until it engages all the geo at one level, what I do is extend my geo so it can contact all surfs at any depth, then use your dpth cut controls to start where you want.

With the L/O tlpth it can usually be reduced by changing tolerance, making sure you don't have surfs "hanging over" and as suggested above, work with boundaries and check surfs, or switch to zig-zag if possible.

More stuff to try...

Analyze/surface/model/.001

fix any problems.

Look for tiny miscroscopic surfaces set off from your part. Sometimes bad trims cause this.

Create boundarys on surface where toolpath is breaking up and untrim. Then retrim it. This will recompute the math for the surface and fix it

Change step down slightly.

I use collapse on L/O with .003 stepover and .002 tolerance 2/1 filter. Set extension for .01.

Do not use check surfaces. Use a 3-d boundary and select all surfs. By 3-d boundary, I mean put it down on your part so it is not projected.

Along with the stuff the other guys said already.

Murlin teh pull out all the stops...

Hi guys here's an update then on to a new trode.

I cut to a solid, so there were no surfaces to check. My solid came up with no flaws.

I changed my gap settings to 500% and un checked my retract. And also my advance setting to 500%.

These things did it! Thanks all!

Have a good day...Where's my "X"? rrr