Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Magnesium Cutting Fluid

C JAYNES

Magnesium is fun to machine,sure there is a slight chance of a fire,but it's very slight.

Make sure that you have the correct fire extinguisher handy,I think a class D.

As for coolant,hmmm I think you need an oil based coolant.

and SHARP TOOLING!!!!

if your tool gets dull, watch out for the little white spark that will be flying off into the chip pan.

I have used water based coolent on it while cutting Valve Covers for High performance Motors, (funny cars, dragsters) worked for me,

PS,. do not let it spark at all, I have seen it start on fire just by cutting it on band saws, use oil dry to put it out with, not WATER. the whole idea is not to cut it at a high speed that will make it burn up smile.gif hehe, GL (I always cut it at a low RPM) better safe then sorry you know.

MIke