Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

An email from QC this morning

gcode

quote:

Then, how do I check it? I have to run a chook which is still unclear...listing my version number as one thing and then a list of other files that have been updated with another version number. What is so goddamn difficult about letting me know what version I'm running? On every other Windows program on the planet, Help-About will say "V3.127.472" What's the problem, CNC Software?

That was the main reason that I wrote that script in the first place back when Update 1 was released. the data exists in the Registry...it just needs to be hooked up to the Help | About dialog. However, X is not the same as previous versions. There isn't a big Mill EXE or Lathe EXE and so on anymore. It's one smaller Mastercam EXE with other "components" in DLL form. Those DLLs, which can contain a small feature set or an entire product can have different versions. They can update one of those DLLs and not need to create a bunch of CDs all over again...just a small update is all that's needed. So realistically, all executable code, whether in EXE or DLL form, can go through many iterations (read: versions). As such, that's the reason for all the different version numbers.

But I do agree that there should be one "Build" number (note the wording in my VBScript). A build is a release...the sum of all parts. And a single version number by way of a build number would be handy in these cases. And yes, there's the maintenance vs non-maintenance issue that can complicate things. Perhaps build numbers could be calculated through some magic math to arrive at a sub build number or something in the source control software/post-build options to assign according build numbers. For example...the build obviously starts with 10. The next could be for a major revision number...say X1. Then the next two are dependant on main vs non-main and revision. So..

10 = X

0 = major revision

14 = maint/non-main specific

30 = maint/non-main specific

Then have that disaplyed on the Help | About screen. The versions of the individual EXEs and DLLs in that list box is a good idea, so that doesn't need to change.

I'm just thinking out loud here and realizing that this is new territory for all of us.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a suggestion.. get a copy of MP.dll from an SP1 user who has not updated. Overwrite the MP.DLL in your updated system. It MIGHT fix the posting issues, it might make things worse.

ITs a simple fix if it works and saves a who bunch of uninstall/reinstall

quote:

If an SP or update install isn't installed through the Update Manager, I fire up a Task Manager window, switch to the Processes tab and keep an eye on msiexec.exe. When that's gone, it's probably safe to assume that the install is done.

Chris,

You've mentioned this before and I've done it. While it works, have you ever seen any software direct you to do this kind of stuff? It's all part of the hoops that we have to jump through that I think is BS. I think you'll agree. wink.gif

Thad

quote:

the data exists in the Registry...it just needs to be hooked up to the Help | About dialog. However, X is not the same as previous versions. There isn't a big Mill EXE or Lathe EXE and so on anymore. It's one smaller Mastercam EXE with other "components" in DLL form. Those DLLs, which can contain a small feature set or an entire product can have different versions. They can update one of those DLLs and not need to create a bunch of CDs all over again...just a small update is all that's needed. So realistically, all executable code, whether in EXE or DLL form, can go through many iterations (read: versions). As such, that's the reason for all the different version numbers.

Isn't this how all Windows programs are written...resourse files, etc (so we've been told here at the forum)? Then what's the problem with linking the registry info to Help-About and giving us a version number without jumping through hoops? EVERYONE else it doing it, why can't MC?

Thad

quote:

While it works, have you ever seen any software direct you to do this kind of stuff? It's all part of the hoops that we have to jump through that I think is BS. I think you'll agree.

Yes, I agree. But I also know that while creating software can be fun and rewarding, it's a pain. It's a never-leveling learning curve, too. Have you ever had a built-in updater in Mastercam before X came along? Well CNC Software hadn't developed (or at the very least "released") a built-in updater before X came along. What's new to us is also new to them. Jsut don't ever under estimate the level of support this forum provides to handle situations like this wink.gif

quote:

Isn't this how all Windows programs are written...resourse files, etc (so we've been told here at the forum)?

Not necessarily. But for large apps, like Mastercam, it's a good idea. And that's what they did on a bigger scale with X.

quote:

Then what's the problem with linking the registry info to Help-About? EVERYONE else it doing it, why can't MC?

I can't answer that.

Thanks for the informative replies, Chris.

Every time I'm on a seat of MC other than the ones in my area, I hear 1 of 2 comments...

"You're not doing updates again, are you?"

"Don't touch that computer. Everything works fine!"

Sometimes I hear both!

I didn't build that reputation but I have to put up with it. Do you see where some of my frustration comes from?

Thad

Give them a break. I think they are doing a good job. When you can step up and do a better job then fire away. Until then be happy and offer constructive criticism. Nobody wants to hear you screwed up all day and all night. They could have taken the money and run and left you at V9 forever. You forget they are not Microsoft; they are a group of talented programmers that are working very hard to please every f^cking body. Nobody is perfect. This brings to memory a famous quote “Ye who is without sin cast the first stone.” Get to work, find the problem, and offer CONSTRUCTIVE comments or go use

Gibbs, Surfcam, or some other POS program and just shutup.

quote:

Do you mean the MCPost.dll file

In V9 there was a file named MP.DLL in the chooks folder. You could overwrite it with older or newer versions without going through the install proccess.

Its not there in X. I'll bet it has been replaced by MPpost.dll, but I have no idea if you can saftey overwrite it with an older file.

It might work, it might hose your system.

I'm inclined to think it won't work.

edit: I just searched C:mcamx.

In the Apps folder there is a file named

mp.dll. That is the one I was reffering to.

On my MR1beta2 system it is dated 10-28-05

and is labeled verison 10.1.2.19.

If you can get that file from an SP1 system that has not been updated, try copying it into C:mcamxapps. It might fix the posting troubles.

CamCam,

You oviously don't run a buisiness. Or have 20 machines to keep running.

One minute your making programs next your NOT because of a F*^%$n update that you get after you've paid Maintenance $ for.

All it would have taken is someone to ACTUALLY check the update before they released it. Come on we waited so long X anyway whats another week or two for a update that will actually do some good.

Even an Apprentice would get a kick up the xxxx for this mistake.

No wonder more and more are moving away from MC

Bye the way welcome to the forum

CamCam,

Down under this Forum is the best support anyone can get.

If I speak here at least I get heard.

I do offer support and try help anyone I can re MC.

If theres something thats not write why not say it.It's a users forum is'n it?

I have contacted my reseller about the posting issues and believe me I;ll get a quicker responce from this forum than my reseller.

Gcode:

Thanks for the welcome. I'm just tired of listening to the bitching. I read the other forums and get sick of listening to the X bashing. I make a good living using MC V9 VX what ever it takes.

DavidB:

Then just move on to some other POS and "Don't worry be Happy" ;-)

Why should you test an update? Because they are human. They make mistakes. Don't you? Or why else would your company require 100% inspection?

Up here this forum is also a very great asset. I agree, if something is not right, bring it up, but do it in a constructive way not a destructive way. How do you think the people at CNC feel when all they hear is "this is fuked up" "that is fuked up can’t you do a better job." Does your boss do that to you? If he did would you keep working for him or move on?

My goodness the tool comments are in the wrong place. Come on. Very low on the annoyance meter.

quote:

Why should you test an update? Because they are human. They make mistakes. Don't you? Or why else would your company require 100% inspection?

How can one test an update?

You either install it or you don't!

Our company produce Aerospace components. Each part has 100% inspection.Maybe if you made some quality parts you'd understand.