Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

An email from QC this morning

gcode

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

A handful of regulars on this forum could have found the problems mentioned and the ones yet to be discussed in a matter of a few days.

Bob,

Thats excactly my point. I downloaded the update did my first job for the day and bang somethings gone heywire. It would not have taken more than 1 job for CNC to find this update has made an issue with posting.

quote:

:oZ to US translator ON:

:jaffas: is the Oz version of :popcorn:

:oz to US translator OFF:

Geez, I sleep for 7 hours and look what I miss. Bruce, that was the best part of this thread so far. At least I learned something biggrin.gif

Play nice folks. Don't let your software frustrations get personal.

quote:

"untested update" doesn't say much for the supposed beta testers

Your assuming that this update made it the beta testers. You know, the ones who have already had MR-1 loaded for several weeks.

quote:

How can one test an update?

You either install it or you don't!

quote:

Put it on a test computer system and then test away

Exactly. Ask your IT department, assuming you have one, how they test Service Packs, and security updates for all the client OSes. This is not a bad idea.

I'm sorry some of you turned into the guinea pigs on this one, but you probably saved alot of us from going through the same B.S. as you. And I think, for better or worse, that's how this forum is supposed to work.

Some of you are really just looking for any reason to slam CAMCAM10 at this point.

Yes, it screwed (and will screw) up "alot" of people up with this update.

Yes, CNC Software needs to be more throrough writing and testing their software and patches. Because, to me anyway, it kind of seems like they're learning on the fly with X, and that's kind of scary.

I suppose this is what we pay for with maintenance. Software development for the benefit of the users. That is, unless you truely believe that CNC Software intentionally released defective piece of code to get more people on maintenance, not to try and help the users that requested the fixes that came along with this update (because the flaws stand out to those of us who didn't).

IMO, you've made your point. And if the folks at CNC Software are paying attention, and I'm almost certain they are, if they skipped a beta on this one, I doubt it will happen again.

Try and remeber this,

quote:

For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

I'm fairly certain this applies to programming applications as well.

JMHO cheers.gif

[ 11-24-2005, 08:53 AM: Message edited by: dwsz71 ]

quote:

"untested update" doesn't say much for the supposed beta testers

The beta testers are all running MR1beta2 right now. MR1 is scheduled for release in mid December.

This update was put out for the non-maintenance customers , the ones Mastercam doesn't take care off rolleyes.gif

I agree this shouldn't have happened, but step back and look at it a minute. The posted gcode is good, the tool comments are one postion out of sync. If you're writting a 30 tool program this could be a real pain, but you've got good code

and you can still build parts.

This is probably a very simple fix and I'll bet

Mastercam has the probelm corrected by Monday or Tuesday of next week, if they don't do it tomorrow.

This instant internet stuff has got people spoiled.

Back in the day (pre-interent) getting a patch

meant waiting for months for a box of floppies to show up via snail mail.

In 1999 TekSoft put out a release that had numerous fatal flaws. It took them 9 months

to build a fix, and then they expected me to download a 40meg patch with my 15K modem.

I spent a week trying, gave up and bought a seat of Mastercam smile.gif

Matt:

I'm not Randell XX.

Stirring the pot. No not really. I'm just tired of the whining.

Gcode:

Good point.

BC10146:

I still don't get the popcorn thing. I must be a little slow.

To all:

Sorry if I have come off as abrasive but I'm just saying what I think. I like MC with all its flaws and strengths. Is it the best cam software out there? I don't know? Is Windows the best OS out there? It sure has everybody out sold. But I don't know. I use it and I use MC. It gets the job done for me.

[ 11-24-2005, 03:46 PM: Message edited by: CamCam10 ]

quote:

This is probably a very simple fix and I'll bet

Mastercam has the probelm corrected by Monday or Tuesday of next week, if they don't do it tomorrow.

Agreed, gcode. That's prolly gonna be a simple fix.

However I posted this info so others wouldn't get burned and not to stir a pot wink.gif

I guess I was too late for some frown.gif

Those tool coments did scare the crap out of me when my (FACE MILL) tried to drill a hole in 17-4 ph biggrin.gif or so I thought at a moment wink.gif

Mark

quote:

"untested update" doesn't say much for the supposed beta testers.

Mr. Looney.

I just recently became a beta tester. And I thought alot about replying to your statement. i consider myself quite lucky to be in a group of people such as these.

Gcode: probably the best 5 axis guy out there

James Meyette: try to find something he doesn't know.

Toolfab: this guy builds custom tooling, ask him anything

Hardmill: didn't he write the WCS tutorial?

Crazy Millman: he can answer almost any post question you can come up with.

Jay at Cadcam: don't need to say much here, this guy has it all and will help anyone.

Bullines: find someone else that knows as much about computers as this guy, I dare ya.

Dave Thomson: who wrote the MPmaster?(brilliant)

I suggest instead of being an armchair quarterback , you get off the couch and get into the game. All you have to do is email CNCsoftware as I did and request to be a beta tester. Then maybe you can fix all the mistakes that get by the rest of these inadequate people. rolleyes.gif

I have tried this update on two different PCs now with the same result. It starts to install and then pops up a window that says "ERROR 1620: This installation package could not be opened." I have tried it from Help- Update Mastercam, and also downloading from the link. I get the same result. Any ideas??

I wasn't going to get involved in this one, but here's my $0.02 anyway:

quote:

The posted gcode is good, the tool comments are one postion out of sync.

AHHHH...the dreaded 'off-by-one' error rears its ugly head! biggrin.gif

When I took my first basic programming class I learned that the 'off-by-one' scenario was the most common programming error in any code that involves counting loops, etc. It doesn't surprise me to see a common programming error show up here, since as someone said, we're all human and errors are part of life. Like gcode said concerning this particular error, if the posted code is good and I can make a good part, the tool comment sequencing thing is really just a minor annoyance. I'm sure the person who wrote that particular block of code is already sufficiently embarrassed, so I see no reason to pile on over something minor that slipped through under the radar.

bonk.gif

Yes, there are many frustrations involved here, and yes, things like this shouldn't happen, but I'm sure lessons are learned through mistakes like these and the developers will not be very likely to repeat them. Even with all the problems, major or minor, I think Mastercam is still the best game in town. cheers.gifbiggrin.gif

Backup, Backup, Backup. If you dont have a DVD burner on your system , get one. Copy the whole damm C:Mcamx folder to a $2 dvd and THEN install your update.

CNC cant possiblly test for every possible configuration in the world. Be smart about how You do things. If you have a business to run and this software's performance is an important part of it, Be Safe, Be Smart & Backup BEFORE you install an update.

Mike Mattera

I can not believe you guys are going after Camcam10 he is in know way being a Randle_XX as he would come and talk whole lot of **** and this guy from my view is just tired of listening to people cry.

I know there are problems and it is frustrating but he is not here saying it a peace of **** like randle xx would.

So you guys go and kick him.

How screwed is that. I have sat here for about 5 years and watch this place grow and helped it grow for dame sure.

I really like all of you and think this has been a great place. But sure is allot of new BIG heads that have shown in the last few years.

As for my big head it is that same sense day one. biggrin.gif

I am just sitting here reading and getting MAD at how some of you are being.

So just slap me for a while eat some popcorn and drink a cold one. Don’t forget about the Left over cold Turkey.

If you don’t trust the updates don’t install until one of us try’s it and reports if there are issues.

Jay, I am most honored by your comments and glad you have spoken out in my defense. I might be a little abrasive. (Okay a lot abrasive) but I speak from my heart. Please everybody quit whining. I make my living with MC. Sure I want it to get better. But I also have empathy for the guys developing it. I think they are doing an honorable job. It might look different on the top and the same once you get into it but I am sure it is a whole new package. I can’t think of any software that has come out perfect. For that matter I can’t think of any software that is perfect. Please point them out if you know of one. Hell I’m composing this message on a very mature piece of software, backed by the largest corporation in the world, and it still has some bugs in it. I will continue to use MC because it gets my jobs done and because I like it.

+1000 CAMCAM does the can can. I always tell this to the guys in the shop. If you keep looking for what is wrong or for soemthing to fail it will. Look for some thing to go right and work out and most times it will. It is all in the attitude you got a good one thing always seem to be better you got a bad one and nothing will every go right.

Welcome CAMCAM and I appericate your cander!!!!!!!!!!!!! cheers.gifcheers.gifcheers.gifcheers.gif

I also wish thing were better but very happy to use Mastercam any chance I can get.

quote:

If you don’t trust the updates don’t install until one of us try’s it and reports if there are issues.

This is the problem. There are now more people who don't trust what they are getting than there are who do. The beta tester programme is voluntary, the guinea pig programme is becomming compulsory.

cheers.gif

Bruce

quote:

There are now more people who don't trust what they are getting than there are who do. The beta tester programme is voluntary, the guinea pig programme is becomming compulsory.

Hey, here's an idea, I nominate your reseller as a volunteer guinea pig. Hell, I'll even nominate mine.

If you're that concerned, just call your resller before updating and ask them if they have installed it. They should have the resources do the testing that their clients may not. And if they give you the green light to go ahead, at least you'll have someone to bonk.gif besides other users if something obvious is wrong. biggrin.gif

The resellers have to deal with the customers, not CNC Software (for the most part). And the resellers are going to want their sales commissions, TSAs, and training money. Making sales is about trust, burning their client base with bad advice will only dampen their clients trust in them and their product, hurting them in the long run.

JMHO