Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

SolidCam

quintin

Flame Suit ON:

Ron,

Topic starters like quintin might be making the mistake thinking that this is a forum with open minded, helpful and informative people. Shame on him...

So much for making "informed decisions".

Flame Suit OFF:

quintin,

I have not used Solidcam before, so I have no reference for comparison. But there are plenty of people here who use, or have used multiple CAM packages. I hope someone can help you out.

Believe it or not, I have been "trying" Solidcam for the last few weeks. As some know I've used Mastercam, Gibbs, Esprit, UGNX3, Smartcam, Edgecam, and most recently I looked into Solidcam.

Here's just a few comments based on my short experience using it:

Just in case you don't know, you MUST have Solidworks for CAD in order to use Solidcam. If your using another CAD system, you will have to incorporate Solidworks as Solidcam works "inside" Solidworks' interface. This combo(CAD/CAM) does not compare to UGNX3 in cost or ability. It does not have the features, toolpaths, or complexity of UG, nor the costs. The associativity is very nice, as making changes to a model and updating the toolpath all inside one system is so sweet. The ability to keep everything associated with the part, tools, holders, fixtures, etc.. all inside one system as assembly's using Solidworks' PDM works is awesome.

Solidcam is one of only two "Gold Partners" with Solidworks. This enables the user to not only access the geometry, but also includes the feature tree, dimension tolerances, GD&Ts, surface finish symbols, sketch entities, notes, and other items related to the product definition. As a "Gold Partner", Solidcam maintains a close relationship with Solidworks product development. Alpha and Beta versions of new Solidworks releases are provided to Solidcam so that necessary mod's or additional features can be added to Solidcam to take advantage of new Solidworks functionality.

Solidcam is written in C++. Users can customize certain aspects of the Solidcam system, such as machining processes, technological database for hole recognition and machining, however Solidcam does not provide API-based customization using tools such as "Visual Basics".

SolidCAM is relatively easy to learn and use. We were able to apply simple toolpaths on our models relatively quickly compared to most other CAM systems we tried. However, with this ease, comes some downsides. The ability to "get the best possible toolpaths" either wasn't possible, or took alot of "side steps".

Solidcam does not support NURBS, Mill-Turn simulation, sub spindle's, "pinch turning", constant cutter load, but does offer some of the newer "trochoidal" and "plunge milling" toolpaths. Solidcam supports 2 axis, 2 + 3 axis, all the way to full 5 axis toolpaths.

Solidcam offers several different simulation options including 3D simulation which is supported by MachineWorks. MachineWorks is an outside vendor that supplies several CAM systems with toolpath verification. In MachineWorks, simulation occurs BEFORE posting and BEFORE G-codes are computed in the post processor. Not exactly the most accurate simulation(ala Vericut).

Solidcam uses and developed its own post processer as opposed to using an outside vendor(ala ). Unlike most CAM systems, a CL-file(cutter location file) is NOT directly generated in Solidcam. It can be generated from a post processor. Instead, Solidcam employs its own internal code that is unique to Solidcam. It is referred to as a "parameter code or P code". Solidcam believes that their "P code" is more efficient than the use of a "CL file". Sub-routines are built into this "P code". If an operation is to take place at multiple levels the commands are only created once, as compared to being generated for each level. The Solidcam program output is very efficient. If the same operation is performed several times the commands are only recorded once in the output, thereby minimizing the program length. In many other systems the commands are often repeated.

I could ramble on and on, but I hope I gave you a few things to consider. You can read all about the "good and bad" concerning Solidcam, and for that matter, almost all the CAD/CAM products from CIMDATA. They are an independent company that reviews products similar to "Consumer Reports". They have reviews on almost all the CAD/CAM companies out there. Some of the points I spoke of above are directly quoted from CIMDATA'a report on Solidcam. You can request it from either Cimdata or Solidcam. Good luck!!!

• 1 year later...

I have used both SolidCAM and MasterCAM and my advice is to skip SolidCAM. Our company had MC9 mill level 1 and instead of paying 9k to upgrade to level 3 when we needed to do 3D work, we bought S-CAM for this work. This was a mistake. SolidCAM runs very slowly, crashes often, and doesn't allow fine toolpath control. Now, we have purchased MCX2 level 3 and this has been working awesome for us.

My boss was just asking me to look into SolidCam the other day. We do programming almost exclusivly from Solidworks files, and to be able to work inside of SW with associativity sounds awesome. I know Mastercamdirect is supposed to be able to directly import SW files, but if part has been built in an assembly, or heavily modified, Mastercamdirect will not work.

quote:

work inside of SW with associativity sounds awesome

It does sound awsome...

You can download a full working version that does everything but post and they've got several tutorials you can download as well.

I worked my way through the tutorials a couple of years ago. Its not bad software, but once you

are used to the power and versatility of Mastercam

it seems very limited.