Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

How to get rid of 'extra' geometry?

RMagnusson

Hi Im very new to mc (like two weeks). I am using mcX m1/sp2 on win xp. I uploaded a copy of my part to cadcam's ftp. Its in the mcx folder and is called 'valve cover.'

I am trying to get rid of some of the base geometry used to extrude solids. When I try to delete the entities I get a message that says 'error reapplying operation. Restoring model state.' Then I get question marks next to my solids in the solids manager.

I dont think its totally necessary to get rid of these lines, but it would sure clean up the drawing some.

If anyone has time to look at it I would be greatly appreciative.

Cheers,

Ryan

p.s. the sun's shining in Seattle, woohooo!

select the geometry you want to move, right click on the word LEVEL at the bottom of the screen and select the level where you want it to move to.

eventually when you get a chance, put the change level icon on your RMB menu, along with change entity color and some more that you find you use frequently

R

Welcome to the Forum,

Since you have the solids option and know about those you could look at skipping all the work of moving stuff. And use the solid toolpath options to pick the faces or edges of the solid geometry to create toolpaths with. For future ease of construction of solid models of parts. Just setup a master file with all the models in the correct position for an engine for example. Then when ur boss wants to build some new prototypes you can lever off your existing solid base models. Just have all the parts on their own wireframe level and their own solid level. Prolly save ya a bunch of time in the future.

And this place is an awesome neighborhood. You won't find a more diverse group of manufacturing professionals anywhere. They cover every aspect of hands-on tradesmen that can help with anything you throw at them.

quote:

Since you have the solids option and know about those you could look at skipping all the work of moving stuff. And use the solid toolpath options to pick the faces or edges of the solid geometry to create toolpaths with.

I just tried to contour the outside vertical face (Toolpaths->Contour Toolpaths->in chaining box I select Solids and check Face then select the vertical outer contour of the part), but when I click ok, it says 'there are overlapping entities in the chained geometry' and 'cutter compensation unsuccessful'. The problem areas are located in the bottom corners of the vertical 4 holes, maybe elsewhere also. Also, when I try to just cut the outside contours on the ends of the part, it cuts the inside surface of the face(throught the top of my part!)as well as the outside (which I want cut).

Any ideas?

quote:

Since you have the solids option and know about those you could look at skipping all the work of moving stuff.

I guess I'm not really sure what you meant by 'moving stuff' either. Like extruding the surfaces?

Also, I dont really understand the functional differences of wireframe, surfaces, and solids. Which to use where, why etc. I just made this out of a solid because I have an autocad drawing of the entire part (I jsut posted a small piece) imported into mcx and I was originally just trying to modify some bosses 23 deg but the solid cad image proved to be un-modifiable (I think).

Thanks again everyone. My questions should cease for a little while as I just got the book 'Learning MastercamX Mill 2D.' It should keep me busy for a few days.

quote:

Also, I dont really understand the functional differences of wireframe, surfaces, and solids.

Wireframe is like the edges of the part, surfaces are like a skin (you peel it away and you can see inside), and a solid is exactly that, one solid piece that has mass.

2D machining can all be done with wireframe. There is no 3D form to it so curves (lines, arcs or splines) are sufficient to define the data.

3D form requires surfaces or solids. Surfaces are similar to solid faces. They are similar as far as machining them goes. With solids, you can pick an edge, which is similar to picking a wireframe entity.

There are many ways to do things. Picking the best way for your situation is the key.

Thad