Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Why use an stl?

RMagnusson

I am getting ready to make some toolpaths on a part I just got done drawing. I've seen a lot about converting to an .stl file for verification purposes. I searched and read a dozen threads on stl's in general, but I still dont understand why convert to one in the first place?

Thanks, and goodnight.

Just to add to what Cannon said...

Once you convert your model to an STL file, you can use the "compare to STL" option in verify. Verify will compare your cut model to the STL (finished model) and color code the differences. You'll then know where you still have stock to cut, specifically, in the corners.

How else could you be absolutely certain that you cut everything "to zero?"

Thad

ckarner,

I would have to agree w/Thad about the compare feature.I have used it soild for the last month or so on all kinds od 3D stuff and have no problems at all.It may be the way that you are viewing the model.Try rotate after verify.It appears that the lighting effects have changed slightly from ver 9.1.Welcome to the forum.

Unless I am missing something. I have found using an stl can ne a major PITA. Transforming them to get them in postion is a chore at least the few times I have tried to use them.

I have taken to copying my solid to a different level, setting it up as rough stock and verifying on that. If I have my parts on fixtures, I use boolean add and create one solid and use that to verify.

How are you guys using the stl without having to transform it all aover the place?

AFAIK, compare to STL only works in verify in the top veiw. Therefore, you have to translate/rotate your part to get the 3D shape on top.

I don't know if you'd call that a bug or not, but I've been asking to get it changed for years.

Thad

Guys,

One of the other things that I have found when using STL's for verify is sometimes the models drape or are washed out. The work around that I use is to export the solid into Solidworks and re-import the solid back into MCX.After re-importing the solid I then export the stl and have no "watertight" issues. The rendering engine in Mastercam is licensed from MachineWorks.If you are looking for some more background on how it works check out http://www.machineworks.com.They have some pretty good online documentation of their product and it's implementation

Later

May i ask a question ? Does the stl file contain the soild ? I dont have soilds as an option,so when i export all i get is a crap load of lines. So now that I'm readin about this it looks like the stl file has a soild in it but zi dont get that because i dont have soilds????

Dave

Dave,

You can create an STL from solids for surfaces.

You'll see a bunch of "spider web" looking lines as it's created. When you're in verify, on the page with the color map, you have the option to "show STL." You can see what it really looks like.

Thad

**bump**

anybody use the collision check in X?

(right click in op mgr- at bottom)

what would be the difference using that vs. verify?

-other than you can rotate and see 3-dimensionally??

am I misleading myself in thinking this is the same thing?